Headphones around $200 CAD
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

C x 2

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, looking for a pair of closed headphone (preferably with a removable cable) for around $200 CAD. Comfort is huge as it was an issue with my last pair of headphones (M50x). I'm also looking for clarity, powerful vocals, controlled bass, and a wide sound stage (I'm a beginner so please excuse any vague terminology). I know that closed headphones are not meant to have super wide sound stage, I'd go with open-backs but I'm going to be using these outside and in places where any sound leakage is bad.

These are the current candidate headphones that I've found so far:

- ATH-A900x (169.99 USD on amazon.com which is ~$211 CAD)
- Soundmagic HP100 (179.95 USD on amazon.com which is ~$224 CAD)
- AKG 550 ($199 USD on amazon.com which is ~$246 CAD)
- DT 770 250Ω (203.53 USD on amazon.com which is ~$252 CAD)

I was also looking at the XPT100 and the HM5 but they looked really bulky which is something I'm trying to avoid.

Not really quite sure what kind of sound signature I want, I pretty much listen to any genre, here are some examples of music I listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTH7XefE85A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS8mXn-R-XM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMwK8AicNGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yAx2uCoHs

Thanks for any help!

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 12
  Soundmagic HP150

Is there any big difference between the HP100 and the HP 150?

Add AKG K550 to your list (not sure what it costs in Canada).
smily_headphones1.gif

The AKG K550 is a bit out of my price range, but I'll definitely consider it
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Sorry about that, K550 has sometimes been cheaper here than A900X and HP150 (or HP100). I would describe all of these headphones as similar in sound signature class. For someone that can't demo them, you'd probably be safe with any of the three if the descriptions of their sound are appealing to you. I think you'd actually have to hear them to decide on which of the three is better (all have their fans).

Some people say HP100 and HP150 sound the same; some say the HP150 has a bit more bass. Soundmagic has indicated that they use the same drivers.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Sorry about that, K550 has sometimes been cheaper here than A900X and HP150 (or HP100). I would describe all of these headphones as similar in sound signature class. For someone that can't demo them, you'd probably be safe with any of the three if the descriptions of their sound are appealing to you. I think you'd actually have to hear them to decide on which of the three is better (all have their fans).

Some people say HP100 and HP150 sound the same; some say the HP150 has a bit more bass. Soundmagic has indicated that they use the same drivers.

Thanks for the info 
redface.gif
. I think I'm going to up my budget so that it's ~$250 CAD haha. BTW, would you happen to know anything about the DT770? I've been reading some pretty nice reviews on those. I've also considered getting open-backed headphones if they don't leak as much as people say they do.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 12
If you using open headphones you will hear pretty much everything going on arround you, so if you use them outdoors I would suggest closed.
DT770 are pretty neat but you want 32 ohm if you don't have portable amp.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 12
  If you using open headphones you will hear pretty much everything going on arround you, so if you use them outdoors I would suggest closed.
DT770 are pretty neat but you want 32 ohm if you don't have portable amp.

Would the 250 ohm be a massive difference? I was planning on buying an amp in the future for home use. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Well if you're gonna get an amp I would go for 80 ohm (most bass) or 250 ohm. But if you're only gonna use the amp at home I would go 32 ohm.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 12
  Well if you're gonna get an amp I would go for 80 ohm (most bass) or 250 ohm. But if you're only gonna use the amp at home I would go 32 ohm.

Hmm... Would you know any other headphones like these? I guess you can say I've been looking for headphones with a wider sound stage and a more livelier sound.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 12

Hi everyone, looking for a pair of closed headphone (preferably with a removable cable) for around $200 CAD. Comfort is huge as it was an issue with my last pair of headphones (M50x). I'm also looking for clarity, powerful vocals, controlled bass, and a wide sound stage (I'm a beginner so please excuse any vague terminology). I know that closed headphones are not meant to have super wide sound stage, I'd go with open-backs but I'm going to be using these outside and in places where any sound leakage is bad.

These are the current candidate headphones that I've found so far:

- ATH-A900x (169.99 USD on amazon.com which is ~$211 CAD)
- Soundmagic HP100 (179.95 USD on amazon.com which is ~$224 CAD)
- AKG 550 ($199 USD on amazon.com which is ~$246 CAD)
- DT 770 250Ω (203.53 USD on amazon.com which is ~$252 CAD)

I was also looking at the XPT100 and the HM5 but they looked really bulky which is something I'm trying to avoid.

Not really quite sure what kind of sound signature I want, I pretty much listen to any genre, here are some examples of music I listen to:

Thanks for any help!

Closed cans with a controlled bass , great comfort and wide soundstage would be the K550. I had them myself, but then I got a HD580 and the T1 so I sold them. The K550 is a great neutral sounding headphone, but it doesn't have the punch I'd like to hear with most EDM. I'm not sure whether you need that punch or not, but for everything else the K550 is a great headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back