Headphones and Movies Can they break?
May 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bombaman

Head-Fier
I wonder if i watch a Movie which suddenly has a loud bang noise ( crash,shot,explosion) can it break my Headphones ?

Here are a couple of examples form " No country for old man".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9guyPNZglE     1:38   Explosion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I42_ESLXfWI      0:03  Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRQtjVzj1bo       2:08  Gun shoot

I use my Q701 + E9k/e17 for Stereo Movie listening. Also i have to say even in Stereo i get really good Surround feeling + the good Audio Quality form the Qs.

May 30, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 13
It shouldn't, unless you're playing the movie too loud in the first place. Movies are never mastered so the sound levels are uneven enough that they would damage a headphone under normal use. That's why suppressors in movies usually sound like something sliding along silk. Suppressors really just sound exactly like normal gunshots, but quieter. But since normal gunshots in a movie soundtrack are toned down so much to avoid damaging the hearing of viewers, people would have trouble distinguishing between suppressed gunfire and unsuppressed gunfire if they made the same sounds.

May 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Each headphone has their own characteristics. It also differs on the driver type. There's two things you have to worry about here essentially. The amount of power and how long it peaks for. Also this changes with frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power#Power_handling

May 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 13
You'll mess up your hearing before the headphone if you are listening too loud in the first place.
Why don't you just test it out yourself on some dollar store headphones?

May 30, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
It shouldn't, unless you're playing the movie too loud in the first place. Movies are never mastered so the sound levels are uneven enough that they would damage a headphone under normal use. That's why suppressors in movies usually sound like something sliding along silk. Suppressors really just sound exactly like normal gunshots, but quieter. But since normal gunshots in a movie soundtrack are toned down so much to avoid damaging the hearing of viewers, people would have trouble distinguishing between suppressed gunfire and unsuppressed gunfire if they made the same sounds.

Nice to know!

May 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 13
The Problem in some Movies is that the Voices of are so low in comparison to the Soundtrack which suddenly starts to explode in your Headphones.

So i should try to keep it at minimal Volume level.

May 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
The Problem in some Movies is that the Voices of are so low in comparison to the Soundtrack which suddenly starts to explode in your Headphones.

So i should try to keep it at minimal Volume level.

Pro tip = If the dynamic range at times causes it to go real silent and then get really loud, really fast and scare you or hurt your ear. Simply run a compressor. If you are using VLC, the option is there. Just turn it on first, and see how you like it. After the compressor is on, turn the volume to what you like. With this, it won't get too loud or too soft. TRY THIS! Really beneficial. It should be under Windows -> Audio Effect (at least on a Mac it is)

Always take care of your hearing. Hearing comes first, no exception. Play at a moderate-low volume. I have adapted this in the past 3-4 years and I enjoy the experience a lot more and can go more frequently without any fatigue. You don't want to damage your inner and outer hair cells along with your eardrum. A word of advice: If you think it's too loud, then it's probably too loud. Trust your instincts and be safe.

May 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm not sure my instincts are reliable 
size]

Considering how loud everyone else (audiophiles) seem to listen, I don't listen particularly loud, but I'm seriously not sure. Thinking about getting a SPL meter or something...

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 13
Why would it break the headphones? The drivers don't care what they are playing.

There is only too loud, which results first in distortion and later in destruction. By then you are probably deaf from listening too loud anyways.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 13
Your headphones should not break or get damaged when listening to explosions from movies, only 'if they are not clipping'. You can hear clipping on the headphone drivers by hearing the drivers rattle at full volume levels. Overtime, this can cause permanent damage to the headphone drivers, as they can tear and the voice coil can get damaged during the process. So prevent the amp providing the clipping signal in the first place and you should never face any problems with your headphone breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back