Headphones and DAC for iOS and pc
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ghiekorg

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
this is my first post. I am Piero from Switzerland.
I have a really limited knowledge and i ask your help before buying headphones and DAC. First of all, I explain to you my situation:
- I would use them at home, so I do not need isolation, for listening, playing and recording/mixing. I love clear and wide sounds where each instrument can be heard distinctly in the mix and for my mix i love to play with panning. Also i don't play acoustic instruments that can mess up with the open back.
- I have a couple of musical projects, one ambient and a bit special one where I cover famous metal songs using only synth and drums. For these projects I use ONLY the iPad, for everything: from sounds to recording to mixing, to mastering, to video editing. It may look like a stupid choice and maybe it is, but I started to run it when I was traveling a lot by train and now I'm comfortable with it.
- I would like to use them to listen to music and watch videos or movies, of course. Mostly rock / metal / prog and electric guitarists.
- My biggest doubt is about impedance and which DAC. I was thinking of red dragonfly that works with both pc and iOS, as I already own the connection kit with usb3, and it is small.

Due to local availability (in switzerland there's no amazon) and reviews I was thinking about the beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm + dragonfly red (quite difficult to find here).

Can they be fine or you suggest something else?
In case, better take the dragonfly first or the headphones? At the moment i use a pair of 60$ sennheizer but they are somehow old and quite uncomfortable so i will change them anyway.
My budget is around 400$
thank you

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 3
I am Piero from Switzerland.
I have a really limited knowledge and i ask your help before buying headphones and DAC. First of all, I explain to you my situation:
- I would use them at home, so I do not need isolation, for listening, playing and recording/mixing. I love clear and wide sounds where each instrument can be heard distinctly in the mix and for my mix i love to play with panning. Also i don't play acoustic instruments that can mess up with the open back.
- I have a couple of musical projects, one ambient and a bit special one where I cover famous metal songs using only synth and drums. For these projects I use ONLY the iPad, for everything: from sounds to recording to mixing, to mastering, to video editing. It may look like a stupid choice and maybe it is, but I started to run it when I was traveling a lot by train and now I'm comfortable with it.
- I would like to use them to listen to music and watch videos or movies, of course. Mostly rock / metal / prog and electric guitarists.
- My biggest doubt is about impedance and which DAC. I was thinking of red dragonfly that works with both pc and iOS, as I already own the connection kit with usb3, and it is small.

Due to local availability (in switzerland there's no amazon) and reviews I was thinking about the beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm + dragonfly red (quite difficult to find here).

Can they be fine or you suggest something else?
In case, better take the dragonfly first or the headphones? At the moment i use a pair of 60$ sennheizer but they are somehow old and quite uncomfortable so i will change them anyway.
My budget is around 400$

You can use the O2-ODAC manufactured by Head-N-HiFi right there in Switzerland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back