1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones and DAC for iOS and pc

1. ghiekorg
    Hi everyone,
    this is my first post. I am Piero from Switzerland.
    I have a really limited knowledge and i ask your help before buying headphones and DAC. First of all, I explain to you my situation:
    - I would use them at home, so I do not need isolation, for listening, playing and recording/mixing. I love clear and wide sounds where each instrument can be heard distinctly in the mix and for my mix i love to play with panning. Also i don't play acoustic instruments that can mess up with the open back.
    - I have a couple of musical projects, one ambient and a bit special one where I cover famous metal songs using only synth and drums. For these projects I use ONLY the iPad, for everything: from sounds to recording to mixing, to mastering, to video editing. It may look like a stupid choice and maybe it is, but I started to run it when I was traveling a lot by train and now I'm comfortable with it.
    - I would like to use them to listen to music and watch videos or movies, of course. Mostly rock / metal / prog and electric guitarists.
    - My biggest doubt is about impedance and which DAC. I was thinking of red dragonfly that works with both pc and iOS, as I already own the connection kit with usb3, and it is small.

Due to local availability (in switzerland there's no amazon) and reviews I was thinking about the beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm + dragonfly red (quite difficult to find here).

Can they be fine or you suggest something else?
    In case, better take the dragonfly first or the headphones? At the moment i use a pair of 60$ sennheizer but they are somehow old and quite uncomfortable so i will change them anyway.
    My budget is around 400$
    thank you

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    You can use the O2-ODAC manufactured by Head-N-HiFi right there in Switzerland.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. ghiekorg
    Thank you, I will check it in detail. But the price is almost 300$ so if I add the headphones I will go out of budget I guess...