Headphones and Amplification
Aug 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CaptainRusko

Head-Fier
Let me start by saying I am very new to this hobby and really know very little about it and do not understand hardly any of the technical details regarding headphones and amps...

This can be illustrated by my purchasing of a DT880 (250ohm I think) with only a E5 amp to power it. I now have a better idea of what it means to have an underpowered headphone and the importance of amps. So it seems the only way to begin to remedy the situation is to buy a £100 amp, minimum.(?) For someone without a good amp thinking about purchasing a headphone that needs an amp, say a DT770 600ohm for £200... The real cost to get these headphones working properly (not absolutely optimally, but decently) seems to be something like £350+

Now I know some of the less needy headphones do not require an expensive (to me) amp to drive them yet still are decent quality, maybe not those of a well driven high impedance headphone, but still good.

As such, I am guessing there is some sort of point where you start to experience diminishing returns because it seems that the more expensive headphones generally need to be well driven to sound like they were meant to and of course that means the added cost of a decent headphone amp. Obviously those who already have a good amp do not feel the effect of this on any new headphones they buy, as they already have the initial investment, but for people like me, who are just starting out and don't have a lot of money to spend, it makes a big difference when deciding what headphones to settle on.

Hopefully you get what I mean. What I am really asking for is lots of recommended headphones that don't really need an amp to sound their best as I really cannot afford to buy the amp my DT880's deserve.

I would like to make a list of headphones that are good but do not need an amp, here is what I have so far:

DT770 80 ohm (Or does it need an amp?)
Denon 1001
Sony MDR-XB500 (brutish I know but I think I like bass heavy headphones)
Sony MDR-V6 (rustinpiece recommendation)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (kind of expensive for people in the UK, like all AT's)

If you have any other suggestions, preferably under £100, suggest

BTW these are observations based on my knowledge so far, so correct me where I am wrong.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 15
Sony MDR-V6. No amp required and IMO unmatchable for the price.

Plenty of detail in the high frequency and plenty of punch in the bass. For the money they are certainly worth a try.

What music do you listen to?

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Well I listen to rock, metal, some rap, electro house, DnB, dubstep but I think that the last three genres and really only be enjoyable to me with heavy bass, so I would prefer a bass heavy headphone, even if it compromises some of the rock, metal, acoustic etc music I listen too.

Thanks for the recommendation, ill add to my list and see what others say.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 15
just out of interest in your list do you mean the Sony MDR-XB500? if so why not the MDR-XB700? These would be your best bet for Bass, they are also still in your price range.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah I do sorry, got a little mixed up there. Well I have heard that the bass on the XB700 is actually a little too excessive even to bass heads and that the XB500 is more value for money (its £30 compared to £60) and maybe even the better choice regardless.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 15
bit of a bump for you. Any other suggestions other than mine guys? I haven't heard the XB500 or the XB700 myself so someone Else's opinion would be more meaningful.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 15
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I got them a month ago and they were everything I wanted and more.
They don't need an amp at all, and they sound awesome!

The bass is awesome
They're really durable
They look sharp
They sound really clear and smooth

Here are some links if you want to do some research. You'll find that their reviews are overwhelmingly, universally positive.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000P62ND6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281869577&sr=8-2

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/audio-technica-ath-m50.php
(They're on the top ten list at this site)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483144/ath-m50-expectations

I hope this was useful, good luck with your headphones.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 15
bump

EDIT: Oops someone posted

Well I do like the sound of the M50's from what I've heard, but they are a bit expensive in the UK compared to the US, though maybe I can get a deal If I trade my DT880's.

Thanks

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #9 of 15
Sure thing.
I went on ebay.co.uk and sure enough, the M50s were going for 130 pounds, or about 200 US dollars. I wonder why the price is so much higher? I'd say if you like the M50s, your best bet is finding a decently priced pair that has free or just cheap international shipping. 

But if you buy overseas, even with the pricey shipping your getting a better deal. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-ATH-50-M50-/270618575157?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting#ht_4427wt_704

With $34 shipping to the UK, your looking at a total price of $132, or 85 pounds, a much better deal. 

If you shop around, you can pick them up for pretty cheap, even in the UK. 

Oh and if your getting the M50s, your going to have to decide between the straight cable or coiled cable versions. I went with the coiled cable and I think its awesome. It has 10ft length when you need it, and 3ft for when you don't. But thats up to you.

Im going to bed, but good luck with your headphones. Oh, and if you need to sell your 880s, I hear the FS forum here is a good place to start.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for the link mate, ill try looking in the US more and I always keep an eye on the FS forums here. £85 is probably as good as I can get in the UK, as even a used one would probably go for about that here. And goodnight! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 15
I've tested my DT770Pro80 with Creative ZEN MX. Didn't feel the need for an amp.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 15
OK I just found a thread basically that answers a lot of questions I have:

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

It lists the DT770 as "2" on its amp recommendation level, which denotes "amp recommended". But you say it works fine without an amp bar1.

I would like a few more opinions on this if possible. How is the DT770 80ohm headphone without an amp?

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Not that different. Less bass without amp, extension and precision suffers. Rest of the freq. range is unchanged. If you want to listen to music at ear deafening levels, get the 32 ohm version instead.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 15
i own the XB700, and the bass isnt overpowered. the mids are pretty soft, thats the only problem. The bass is low, and the highs are nice.

I also have beats Tour, but they just suck with metal and rock and classical. All your other genres will sound heavenly on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back