Headphone woe's
Jun 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Adamora

500+ Head-Fier
Lately Ive been mulling over getting new headphones, opening up to new sound signatures, etc, but the sheer size of the headphone audiophile world at the moment, is driving me insane, with a million amplifiers to go with headphones, and dac's with small to large differences in terms of sound quality, nitpicking every little detail to see if the purchase is worth it, blah blah blah D:...

im sick of it :[, i want a simple decision making process T_T.

Anyone else share the same views :3?

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 10
But variety is the spice of life! And that is why we have head-fi to let people review and discuss gear, naturally leading to at least categorizing and making general recommendations for headphones in particular price ranges. 

It really does suck though, that a lot of these superior headphones cannot be found locally and tested (especially up here in Canada), which is why head-fi is even more helpful in making an informed choice

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 10
I can agree that the vast array of options available can be a bit overwhelming at times especially for someone new to this hobby, but once one begins to learn more about each manufacturer and their qualities, and just this hobby as a whole the selection process become much easier.  I'll also add that one does not have to try many headphones to achieve this.   Myself as a case in point, after being a member here for the past 8 months, I feel like I've acquired more than enough knowledge to make buying headphones and audio accessories a not too difficult task.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes, its pretty overwhelming at first. Once you get into it more it becomes easier on your mind, not so on you wallet though.

You can make it easier, get a LCD-2, a HE-6 and a T1 and you should have your headphone bases covered. You can always add a stax setup  if you feel like it
rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
But variety is the spice of life! 

True. Thats why i have been researching since i started into the headphones world...once you try more headphones and amps you know what you want. If something is missing, just upgrade! 

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Sadly im in a part of the world were the only Hi end audio shop's sell $500,000 speakers and a select few headphone amps to audition :[.

hard to test and buy, sigh.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 10
^ I was surprised just to find a pair of M50s at the closest guitar shop. And Im not driving more than 45 minutes to test a pair of headphones. Usually it takes a couple months of internet research for me to decide on one purchase. Countless reviews and youtube unboxings later Ill make a choice. But being able to test a pair of headphones would solve this in a day or less! :/

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Heya,

I just keep a few headphones. I went the route where you get a more than capable amplifier for your headphone collection so that you can try other headphones in the future that may have different requirements (for me Little Dot MKIII). Have a decent enough DAC to send the signal to it (for me Forte, Vivid V1 Tech). Then simply collect headphones that have different sound signatures that meet your taste for what you're listening to. For example, I have some open-air cans for home listening, games and movies. One fairly neutral and one fairly bassy (for me HD580, DT990). I also have some closed-back headphones for electronic music and for going out, walking, work, school, to minimize leak and have better bass response for the genres I put through them (for me DT770 Pro, Ultrasone 900 Pro).

And I'm still itching to pick up some Grados, AKG's and some other ones I don't currently own (but have tried) just to sometimes switch it up. Some days I just want to listen to vocals and others I want crunchy house music. Different phones for different listening experiences.

Also, I try a lot of headphones, yet I don't have a place near me that has them to try and I haven't been to a big meet yet (though I want to next time). You do risk a lot buying something you've not listened to. And frankly, reviews can make something seem great or seem bad. A lot of people review the M50 as great. I don't like them. Someone might say some great things about a headphone, or bad things, but it's your ears that will reveal the truth. So you just have to listen to a set of headphones. It's difficult if you don't have access. And that's why I buy them on Amazon. Their return policy is no-questions. I just get them, try them for a month, and send them back for a full refund. I keep the ones I really like. Otherwise, I can at least say I listened to them for a few weeks. I do this to test out headphones. You're not losing money to do it (sometimes a bit on shipping perhaps, but they reimburse for some shipping too which is nice). I feel like I'm `leasing' headphones in a sense, since I keep rotating a pair that I have at home, send it back, get another pair, etc. And Amazon doesn't care how often  you do it. Their policy is simple. You just click a button, print the RMA, send it back, get a refund with no questions asked, and go back to buying. Probably sound like a lobbyist or something, but I can't stress enough to people that don't have access to headphones for testing that you can do a method like this to try something without a gamble. Just make sure you buy from Amazon and not a store on Amazon (big difference in return policy).

Very best,

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Heya,

I just keep a few headphones. I went the route where you get a more than capable amplifier for your headphone collection so that you can try other headphones in the future that may have different requirements (for me Little Dot MKIII). Have a decent enough DAC to send the signal to it (for me Forte, Vivid V1 Tech). Then simply collect headphones that have different sound signatures that meet your taste for what you're listening to. For example, I have some open-air cans for home listening, games and movies. One fairly neutral and one fairly bassy (for me HD580, DT990). I also have some closed-back headphones for electronic music and for going out, walking, work, school, to minimize leak and have better bass response for the genres I put through them (for me DT770 Pro, Ultrasone 900 Pro).

And I'm still itching to pick up some Grados, AKG's and some other ones I don't currently own (but have tried) just to sometimes switch it up. Some days I just want to listen to vocals and others I want crunchy house music. Different phones for different listening experiences.

Also, I try a lot of headphones, yet I don't have a place near me that has them to try and I haven't been to a big meet yet (though I want to next time). You do risk a lot buying something you've not listened to. And frankly, reviews can make something seem great or seem bad. A lot of people review the M50 as great. I don't like them. Someone might say some great things about a headphone, or bad things, but it's your ears that will reveal the truth. So you just have to listen to a set of headphones. It's difficult if you don't have access. And that's why I buy them on Amazon. Their return policy is no-questions. I just get them, try them for a month, and send them back for a full refund. I keep the ones I really like. Otherwise, I can at least say I listened to them for a few weeks. I do this to test out headphones. You're not losing money to do it (sometimes a bit on shipping perhaps, but they reimburse for some shipping too which is nice). I feel like I'm `leasing' headphones in a sense, since I keep rotating a pair that I have at home, send it back, get another pair, etc. And Amazon doesn't care how often  you do it. Their policy is simple. You just click a button, print the RMA, send it back, get a refund with no questions asked, and go back to buying. Probably sound like a lobbyist or something, but I can't stress enough to people that don't have access to headphones for testing that you can do a method like this to try something without a gamble. Just make sure you buy from Amazon and not a store on Amazon (big difference in return policy).

Very best,

Nice write up :3.

Here's the sad part, Amazon banned shipping to the ME a long long time ago O.O, otherwise id take up your method instantly =[.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back