Headphone user looking to switch to IEMs, which IEM?
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

some1

100+ Head-Fier
I always liked overear headphones due to the sheer amount of bass they can produce, but having read how good IEMs can be these days, i cannot help but want to join the club.

My favourite kind of sound signature is transparent and analytical, i use studio montiors on my stereo for this reason, i like to hear the good and bad in a recording, along with all the detail that goes with it, a good bass weight and extension is important.

From doing some research i see Vsonic GR07 or ATH-CK10's being good choices, anybody care to add what they think about these choices?

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always liked overear headphones due to the sheer amount of bass they can produce, ...
My favourite kind of sound signature is transparent and analytical, ... a good bass weight and extension is important.

Sorry, please excuse me, but I don't see how that fits together. Which headphones have you used?

Transparent and analytical requires fast and precise drivers (e.g. BA), but even with pronounced bass (like the TripleFi 10) they cannot create "bass weight."
You have not mentioned your budget yet. If it's below 300 $, you will not get any bass extension with BA armatures.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 34

Quote:
Sorry, please excuse me, but I don't see how that fits together. Which headphones have you used?

Transparent and analytical requires fast and precise drivers (e.g. BA), but even with pronounced bass (like the TripleFi 10) they cannot create "bass weight."
You have not mentioned your budget yet. If it's below 300 $, you will not get any bass extension with BA armatures.

I am saying what qualities i am looking for, i don't see why you can't get a iem that can deliver detail, a analytical portrayal of the source material with reasonable bass extension and weight, studio montiors can do this quite easily, i appreciate its harder for a small driver to achieve the same thing, but its still possible surely. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 34

Quote:

TF10's bass weight is pretty.. well..  weighty...

When an absolute airtight fit is obtained, these have the..  most ridiculous amounts of bass ever from an armature. Only the Sony XB700 and aiaiai tracks of mine compete against it. And the TF10's trump them in tightness of the bass

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 34
Now you see what I meant. BA armatures (including the TF10) have fast bass. This is not weight. It feels light. Even with the TF10 although it's as close as it gets.

To some1: analytical and bass weight do not mix. Analytical is a neutral and dry presentation. Musicality would imply slower notes, more weight, more body, more drive, .. simply more power. You can't have both. What you're asking works for neither headphones nor speakers.

If you want something in the middle: Sony EX1000 as a dynamic (not bloated but weighty bass) or TripleFi 10 (emphasized but not weighty bass).

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 34
This is difficult balance to achieve. I haven't heard them but you might like the dynamic driver Monster Turbine Copper. I've stayed away though from Monster because of quality control issues. Maybe a great option for you would be the ER4S (a guys is selling them used on amazon for $150) and an amp that could bring out some more bass. Even a simple Fiio E11 could give you some bass extension. I think you could enjoy that combo. People also talk about this ZO subwoofer that seems to bring out some quality bass in in balanced armature amps.

But I seriously wouldn't expect to ever really feel bass from a balanced armature the way you do w/ over ear headphones.

Quote:
$300 or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back