Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #961 of 2,858
Well... it's a tough job but I'm sure you'll be able to get through it :beyersmile:

I think I'll be going for the Elrog 300b's once it's ran in... provided it arrives!
Thanks, the emotional Support means a lot :)

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #962 of 2,858
Is this noname amp included in the list? It seems unusual in that by its description it has both output transfomers and output capacitors and a switch for them.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #963 of 2,858
Is this noname amp included in the list? It seems unusual in that by its description it has both output transofmers and output capacitors and a switch for them.
‘Cattle output’… ‘bile headphone amplifier’…😳?…🤢?…
F39B4DEC-7D54-476B-BA99-58A55640C2C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #964 of 2,858
For example, if you take the Elekit 8900 amp, it is a 3 stage amp with lots of gain. So feeding it even 2V input signal results in way too much gain, when driving headphones from the speaker taps. Meaning, the headphones get way too loud even before hitting 9 o’ clock position on the volume pot. But when driving my Lii speakers (96dB, 8ohm), 2V signal works quite fine, giving me more than enough headroom to adjust the volume. But if I were to feed a 6V signal, I might start losing the headroom to adjust volume even for my speakers.

As for the balanced signal, most single ended triode tube amps use an input transformer to convert the balance input signal to single ended signal.

Some can use for example opamps to do the input conversion instead of transformers.

But still, what I would be interested here is confirmations from users or manufacturers that a specific transformer-output amp can take a 5.8V balanced input without significant distortion. So far I have none. And information of several models where the manufacturer or someone else has stated that they can't take higher than 4.4V or so.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #965 of 2,858
‘Cattle output’… ‘bile headphone amplifier’…😳?…🤢?…

"Cattle" or "cow" is a chinese term for "transformer". Similarly "bile" (or "bile duct") means tube.

For further confusion, the chinese call transistors "crystal tubes".

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #966 of 2,858
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #967 of 2,858
So I'll be joining the 300B crowd with an Feliks Envy.

Anyone need an Octave V16 so that I can Fund the Envy faster?
Very nice! Don't forget the Elrogs! :grin:

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #968 of 2,858
Aug 3, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #969 of 2,858
Especially since I'm located in germany they are a must.
Which Version do you recommend?
With the stable of phones you use, I recommend the molybdenum. ACME or 4300E would also be complimentary along with MELZ 1578, VT Sylvania/Ken-Rad and RCA grey glass. As well, don't bother with current production 6SN7.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #970 of 2,858
With the stable of phones you use, I recommend the molybdenum. ACME or 4300E would also be complimentary along with MELZ 1578, VT Sylvania/Ken-Rad and RCA grey glass. As well, don't bother with current production 6SN7.
Thank you, you answered before I eben asked. Just wanted to know which 6SN7s to get.
Can you describe how these 3 variants sound compared to each other?

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #971 of 2,858
Thank you, you answered before I eben asked. Just wanted to know which 6SN7s to get.
Can you describe how these 3 variants sound compared to each other?
The RCA grey glass are the warmest with quite a bit of bloom where the Sylvania and Ken-Rad are more in the middle (tipped up) with more punch and extension.
MELZ is the best 6SN7 I've heard with the tighter punch and smooth top with a more expansive stage.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #972 of 2,858
The RCA grey glass are the warmest with quite a bit of bloom where the Sylvania and Ken-Rad are more in the middle (tipped up) with more punch and extension.
MELZ is the best 6SN7 I've heard with the tighter punch and smooth top with a more expansive stage.
I concur with one caveat - the Tung Sol VT99/6F8G are excellent as well, with a bit more "slickness" or "wetness" to the sound.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #973 of 2,858
I assume all of the 300B amps on the list have output transformers or output capacitors (one of them might have both). Of those with transformers, can any of them take a 5,8V balanced input signal (and run properly with it)?
I use the HA-300 with a 6V DAC without any issues (clipping, extra distortion, etc). Also confirmed to be fine by @Andykong in this post.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #975 of 2,858
I concur with one caveat - the Tung Sol VT99/6F8G are excellent as well, with a bit more "slickness" or "wetness" to the sound.
My socket savers arrived today (anode wire was too tight a fit in the recessed socket of the Envy)so I can try the TS and NU 6F8G later tonight

EDIT: The TS VY99 / 6F8 do sound very nice @ColSaulTigh. I'll try to NU version in the next day or 2.

The Melz 1578, paired with the Elrogs, are a great combo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back