Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Aug 1, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #931 of 2,859
WESTERN ELECTRIC 91C Metropolis
300B Monoblock Power Amplifier.

"The Metropolis takes the breakthrough technology in the 91E and elevates it with stunning and eccentric industrial design."

Welcome to the Metropolis
91C-Metropolis - Copy.jpg
91C-Metropolis.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #933 of 2,859
Or from a coffee machine. It looks interesting but it does resemble something I’d see if I went to Starbucks!

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #934 of 2,859
I would personally not buy that.

If I had 15K to burn I will instantly buy Western Electric 91E
This is what I would call the mother of all 300B.
The true mother.
22.jpg
If I had the money I would go with the Woo as it is balanced and I think it is better value than the WE which feels like it is overpriced. Oh and the Woo has valve rectifiers too. That's just a personal thing though.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #935 of 2,859
Or from a coffee machine. It looks interesting but it does resemble something I’d see if I went to Starbucks!

"Hi, I like to order the 300B special, one cream and two sugars please."

This will give it that warm, sweet, musical sound.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #936 of 2,859
You were going to buy the 91E?!

I was lurking the 91E when it was going for $13,000 or so. There was a special early bird promotion.
Yes. When they contacted me for my turn(and the deposit) I backed out. There were too many things bidding for that money at the time. I'm not really sure if I regret it. I have been kicking the idea of a 300b around for almost a year now. Clearly I'm not going to forget about it.

I wonder if Western Electric got their "design philosophy" from the legendary movie Metropolis.

Metropolis (1927 film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film)
They definitely have this art deco theme to their designs. I don't hate it as that era was the beginning of the golden age for tubes.
If I had the money I would go with the Woo as it is balanced and I think it is better value than the WE which feels like it is overpriced. Oh and the Woo has valve rectifiers too. That's just a personal thing though.
The Woo is pretty awesome. I will say that there is a lot of tech packed into the 91E too, though. Like I said earlier, It really under-sold. I knew a couple other people that were in line for one as well and they both backed out just as I did. No doubt it's a great amp, but I feel the need to audition one before hand.

On another note, I am on the waiting list with Mischa at 1101. I was originally planning on the BH+ OTL, but in recent conversations with him and others, I am leaning towards his new offering. It's supposed to be a SET amp that can take a wide variety of tubes, including 300b, in an OTC topology. No tube rectification with his amps, though. That's the one thing that I think I would miss. I just like having the options.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #938 of 2,859
So, the new amp will look like this but 300B or was it the BH+ OTL new offering?
666.jpg
Maybe similar, but not sure. From what Mischa said, the output tubes will also have a selector switch so that 300b, 45, 2A3, and also multiple pentode/tetrodes could be used as well. I suppose there will be multiple sets of output tube sockets. I think it's still in concept at this point or at least I haven't seen pictures of one. I spoke to him a couple months ago and he thought it would be ready for production about the time my turn came up, which is about 6-7 more months at this point if I recall.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #939 of 2,859
Maybe similar, but not sure. From what Mischa said, the output tubes will also have a selector switch so that 300b, 45, 2A3, and also multiple pentode/tetrodes could be used as well. I suppose there will be multiple sets of output tube sockets. I think it's still in concept at this point or at least I haven't seen pictures of one. I spoke to him a couple months ago and he thought it would be ready for production about the time my turn came up, which is about 6-7 more months at this point if I recall.
Its a beautiful amp no doubt.

DNA Audio can also do a interesting custom 300B build. Need to contact him. The wait list is over a year :astonished:
http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stellaris-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html
DNA Stellaris 300B $8000+ (Custom build)

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #941 of 2,859
Not sure if talked about here, but the Cayin HA300 is wonderful. Pairs very well with the Utopias. I hav the mk1 version…
It sure was. The HA300 was in my top three pick. Well the HA300MK2 was.

Beautiful sexy amp. What tubes are you using?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #942 of 2,859
Not sure if talked about here, but the Cayin HA300 is wonderful. Pairs very well with the Utopias. I hav the mk1 version…

Yes very good idea to raise this amp in this thread, lol. I've had my HA300 "mk1" for almost three years, and have listened to a zillion different headphones on it for meaningful periods of time. Also, not really a zillion, more like, maybe 12-15. And it has liked almost every single one.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #944 of 2,859
Nice I've put at least 2000 hours on my PSVane ACMEs. During that time, the EMLs have come and gone, as have the Takatsukis, but the ACMEs have yet to be voted off the island. The ACME sounds very 300b-like, and goes great with fast and neutral headphones like the Utopia or the Abyss TC.

Next contestant is the KR 300B HP (burning them in now). Early impressions are that they bring something different and interesting enough to at the very least co-exist alongside the ACMEs.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #945 of 2,859
Eddie Current Studio B arrived today. Got it plugged in and setup with Sophia Electric 300B Classics. ABC’d between the EC, a Schiit Folkvangr, and an LTA MZ3 (did I mention I have a tube amp addiction). I really like the FV but the EC crushes it. Harder to call the cage match between the MZ3 and the EC. MZ3 really walks that tightrope between tube 3D sense of space and SS clarity and crispness but the EC is full on tube awesome w/o getting too syrupy. Definitely keeping the LTA and the EC. The FV may or may not stay (desk real estate is tight). I’m frightened for my wallet as I’m sure I’ll soon hear the siren song of Elrog or WE 300B tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back