Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #948 of 2,858
Eddie Current Studio B arrived today. Got it plugged in and setup with Sophia Electric 300B Classics. ABC’d between the EC, a Schiit Folkvangr, and an LTA MZ3 (did I mention I have a tube amp addiction). I really like the FV but the EC crushes it. Harder to call the cage match between the MZ3 and the EC. MZ3 really walks that tightrope between tube 3D sense of space and SS clarity and crispness but the EC is full on tube awesome w/o getting too syrupy. Definitely keeping the LTA and the EC. The FV may or may not stay (desk real estate is tight). I’m frightened for my wallet as I’m sure I’ll soon hear the siren song of Elrog or WE 300B tubes.

Congratulations 🎊

My EC B salute you!
20220802_234757.jpg

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #949 of 2,858
I assume all of the 300B amps on the list have output transformers or output capacitors (one of them might have both). Of those with transformers, can any of them take a 5,8V balanced input signal (and run properly with it)?
99% of the 300B amps are output transformer coupled amps. 5.8V is the line level signal you feed the amp. Every amp has a certain level of gain. Depending on the amp and the transducer you are trying to drive, 5.8V can either be too much or ideal. Potentiometers /attenuators are placed in front of the amplification stages, to attenuate the input level signal, so that you have the ideal gain for your amp+transducer combo.

Say, you have a, 2-stage, low gain, 300B amp that can do 8W into an 8ohm speaker, and your DAC has a typical 2V output and you plan on driving speakers and headphones. In such a case, the 2V of the DAC might be more than sufficient for the amp to drive the headphone to very loud levels. But the 2V may not be sufficient to drive your speakers to loud levels. In such situations, you can add an active preamp that will bump the 2V line level signal up to a higher level, so that the amp has enough gain to drive your speakers loud enough. Alternatively, you can put in a DAC with 6V output and it just might be enough to drive the speakers, without needing to add an active preamp. But on the flip side, the 6V input might result in too much gain for the headphones, because the potentiometer can only attenuate only so much.

For example, if you take the Elekit 8900 amp, it is a 3 stage amp with lots of gain. So feeding it even 2V input signal results in way too much gain, when driving headphones from the speaker taps. Meaning, the headphones get way too loud even before hitting 9 o’ clock position on the volume pot. But when driving my Lii speakers (96dB, 8ohm), 2V signal works quite fine, giving me more than enough headroom to adjust the volume. But if I were to feed a 6V signal, I might start losing the headroom to adjust volume even for my speakers.

As for the balanced signal, most single ended triode tube amps use an input transformer to convert the balance input signal to single ended signal.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #950 of 2,858
I have also considered the Cayin. Especially considering I could get a decent discount from ZMF, having bought a few headphones in the past year.
That's what I ended up doing after talking with Zach for a bit about how it pairs with the Atriums and VCs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_021321.jpg
    IMG_20220603_021321.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #951 of 2,858
That's what I ended up doing after talking with Zach for a bit about how it pairs with the Atriums and VCs.
Nice! I am about to pull the trigger on an HA300mk2, hopefully tomorrow. From all my research, I don't think you can get a better 300B amp for the price, and if Zach recommends it I know I will love it. I was also interested in the EC Studio B, but as an avid tube roller I feel the HA300 will be better suited for me with much more options for rolling driver tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #952 of 2,858
Nice! I am about to pull the trigger on an HA300mk2, hopefully tomorrow. From all my research, I don't think you can get a better 300B amp for the price, and if Zach recommends it I know I will love it. I was also interested in the EC Studio B, but as an avid tube roller I feel the HA300 will be better suited for me with much more options for rolling driver tubes.
If my current order for the Envy went “Belly Up” for some reason, that’s exactly where I will be going 👍.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #953 of 2,858
I feel certain you will enjoy it and it also gives you a better option for loudspeakers if you want over the ECB.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #954 of 2,858
If people are wondering.

Eddie Current Studio B 300B
Specifications:
SET topology
• Custom output transformers, rare earth magnetic core with tertiary feedback standard of 1.75 dB (as with Studio).
• Minimal point-to-point wiring.
• Balanced headphone drive.
• Two input selector switch, two pairs RCA unbalanced inputs.
• Speaker kill switch.
• 100K Alps Blue Velvet volume control.
• One pair Speak-On speaker outputs. 4, and 8 ohm.
• 4-foot detachable umbilical cord.
• Vacuum tube rectified passive LC power supply.
Will drive 4,8 ohm speakers to 4 watts. Input sensitivity 1.5V for full power.
• Power bandwidth -1dB 10Hz-100kHz.
• Recommended headphone load 8 ohms or higher.
• Power into 32 ohms 2W.
• Power into 100 ohms 800mW
• Power into 300 ohms 400mW.
• Typical headphone frequency response–balanced or SE: -1dB 10Hz-100kHz.
• SE line output 11 volts into 10K ohms. -1dB 10Hz-100kHz
20220803_002017.jpg

- End of run almost over and craig will permanently close up shop!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #955 of 2,858
So I'll be joining the 300B crowd with an Feliks Envy.

Anyone need an Octave V16 so that I can Fund the Envy faster?

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #956 of 2,858
What wood did you go for? You may have plenty of time to save up… approaching 12 weeks now for the oak 😂

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #957 of 2,858
What wood did you go for? You may have plenty of time to save up… approaching 12 weeks now for the oak 😂
I am in discussion for something really special :wink:
Will let you know once the decision is final.

The wait time will certainly be longer than for all the "regularly available" types.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #958 of 2,858
I am in discussion for something really special :wink:
Will let you know once the decision is final.

The wait time will certainly be longer than for all the "regularly available" types.

:gs1000smile:... sounds intriguing! In that case, you may have a few extra weeks to put the pennies together!

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #959 of 2,858
:gs1000smile:... sounds intriguing! In that case, you may have a few extra weeks to put the pennies together!
In the worst case I will own the Octave and the Feliks at the same time... how bad can that be!?

In the best case it's an affordable switch to a new flavour

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #960 of 2,858
In the worst case I will own the Octave and the Feliks at the same time... how bad can that be!?

In the best case it's an affordable switch to a new flavour
Well... it's a tough job but I'm sure you'll be able to get through it :beyersmile:

I think I'll be going for the Elrog 300b's once it's ran in... provided it arrives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back