Headphone storage
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

s0126471

Head-Fier
I would like to ask how people store their full-size headphones.  I have an HD650 and an K702, but after every use I store it back in its package box.

1:  Do some people use a headphone stand?
1a: If so, what brand?
2: Do people use a cover over a headphone stand?
2a: if so, what brand?

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
I usually use one headphone at a time and leave it out. The unused ones go back into their boxes.

Same. Though I have considered making a stand to show them off. I generally rotate every couple of days or whenever I get the urge.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 29
I use a headphone stand (Woo Audio HPS-T) day-to-day, but my 'phones go into the box when I go away. When I had more than one set of cans I would end up using them on rotation, so one pair would live in it's box when not in use. Weirdly, I have an irrational fear of dust getting into the drivers as well, so sometimes I get compelled to box them when there is any upheaval in my living room. 

Currently, I have my mind set of finding some kind of glass cabinet which a loaded headphone stand (and the rest of my gear) could sit in. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 29
I would use a headphone stand, but I would find some way to make it fall off it's stand on accident. I keep my DT880 in it's included leather case. I bought a cheap headphone bag for my HD650 as it didn't come with the original manu box when I bought it used. For a quick stand, I'll often hand my cans on my open laptop monitor for maybe an hour or two. Of course, my 650 has also taken a plunge to the floor once because of this practice. This was on the second day I had it. I thought: well, there goes my first headband chip! It was fine thankfully.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 29
I leave the one that I use lying on the my desk or hang them on headphone stands. All the others go to one gallon Ziploc bags.
I almost never put headphones back into their original boxes one or two reasons:
First of all I'm lazy and it usually takes a while to fit every part of the headphones back into the box( try putting your Sennheiser HD 650 back to the box three times a day and you'll see what I mean) I also like to leave my cables in big loops instead of crunching them into small space in most original boxes.
Last but not least, I have some older Grados that came with those boxes with blue foam that's supposed to fall apart and damage the drivers.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 29
My headphone holder is a 40 cm long piece of round wood suspended from the ceiling via fishing line which holds my current collection nicely and in easy reach.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 29
I use this stand (black) with my HD650:

I don't cover the stand with anything, but I think I will when I can find an attractive looking cloth orsomething. My headphones are picking up too much lint and dust.

As for my SRH840s,I just fold them back and put them in their bag.

My other unused headphones pretty much live in my drawer now.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 29
I really prefer the new Woo HP stands especially for those cans with an adjustable leather headband like the Stax Omegas pictured below.  They can be stored on them for long periods of time without putting any strain on the leather headband and hung instead from the top headband.  

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 29
My headphone stand is something I made at my work, out of aluminum.  It's quite a piece.  I did the brush metal work on it too.  There are pictures of it in my profile gallery if you're interested.

My M50's, AD700's, and DT990's live on there, depending on which one I'm using and need to put it down.  Right now, I'm having my DT990's on the stand, my M50's in the DT990 leather case, and the AD700's in the factory box ready to ship back to ATUS to get fixed (heh...)

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
My headphone stand is something I made at my work, out of aluminum.  It's quite a piece.  I did the brush metal work on it too.  There are pictures of it in my profile gallery if you're interested.

My M50's, AD700's, and DT990's live on there, depending on which one I'm using and need to put it down.  Right now, I'm having my DT990's on the stand, my M50's in the DT990 leather case, and the AD700's in the factory box ready to ship back to ATUS to get fixed (heh...)

Nice work, perfect match for those ADs.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 29
Woo Audio stands are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back