Headphone Stands
Feb 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #151 of 348

Quote:
Quote:

Not bad, but it doesn't go far enough down for my taste
bigsmile_face.gif

I like this one a bit better

Mannequin Head Bust Wig Hat Jewelry Display Smile #Y5LE - eBay (item 260412659292 end time Jan-13-10 02:15:33 PST)

Only useable for bass-head phones.  Says so in the product description, I swear...  
wink_face.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #152 of 348
I think someone was looking for a female mannequin head that went "a little lower..."

Yes, it's still G-rated.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mannequin-Head-Bust-Wig-Hat-Jewelry-Display-MEGAN-/370319493462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5638c30956#ht_6886wt_1022

EDIT:  I did just find and order these on amazon.    I ordered two and I'll take a photo when they get here, if they are as nice live as they look like they might be...  The base is walnut.

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Pantryware-Banana-Holder-Walnut/dp/B0008DJVBI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1297037208&sr=8-7

Somebody posted a photo on Amazon of theirs, this isn't mine.  It looks like they removed the hook, and bent the top "down" a bit to make a nice flat rest.  Probably easy to do with a vice.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #153 of 348

is there a practical advantage from using a stand vs laying the headphones on the table? Or is it mainly a esthetics thing?

Thanks, Pedro

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #154 of 348
I think folks use stands to avoid scratching up the cups or excess wear on the pads by laying them down on a surface.

As the cups on my Grados and Alessandro's rotate, I just put them down with the pads flat on a surface.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #155 of 348
Neatness, which is a practical matter as well as an esthetic one.

I used to hang headphones off my desk, but since I reorganized my office I can't do that. So for the past little while they've been lying on whatever they won't fall off of, and it's a mess. Having a space dedicated just for storing your nice, expensive headphones (even if it's a hook on the wall) is definitely a better way to treat them.

You could store them in drawers or boxes (top-tier phones are usually sold with dedicated boxes), which helps keep them clean and unblemished, but then you don't have a nice visible display of headphones.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #157 of 348

Quote:
Hi Guys
I got tired of looking for a decent headphone holder so l went ahead and made my own.
I made 2 wall mount units and 2 desk top models
They are made from solid oak ,sanded, stained and varathaned by hand.
Any feedback would be appreciated

Thannks woodzwork

Hi Guys I got tired of looking for a decent headphone holder so l went ahead and made my own. I made 2 wall mount units and 2 desk top models They are made from solid oak ,sanded, stained and varathaned by hand. Any feedback would be appreciated Thannks woodzwork

This post is useless without pictures!

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #160 of 348
This is a headphone stand I made a week ago.  It is made from sepele with mahogany post.
I needed a smaller size top so that I could fit a dust cover over it (and the headphones).
Nothing terribly fancy or exotic was done to the wood, it is in its natural color and shimmer.

This was my first time doing inlay work, and I'm happy with the way it came out.  The inlay is a variety of woods.

My dad and I like the inlay with the sepele wood, so he may begin to incorporate that into future stands he makes.

I really like how the colors on the stand contrast with the Stax O2.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #162 of 348

Quote:
My dad made this one for me out of mahogany:

Nice copy of my design.  What size dowels did he use? 
The base makes it look a little skinny, while mine looks more chunky. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #163 of 348

Quote:
Nice copy of my design.  What size dowels did he use? 
The base makes it look a little skinny, while mine looks more chunky. 

Would you like a royalty check?  Consider it the sincerest form of flattery.
wink.gif

Maybe after we make a few more of these we can get the proportions more to your liking.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #164 of 348

Quote:

Would you like a royalty check?  Consider it the sincerest form of flattery.
wink.gif

Maybe after we make a few more of these we can get the proportions more to your liking.

Actually, I was curious what size dowels your dad used to make it.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #165 of 348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back