Headphone recommendations <$150
Dec 2, 2006 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

biohazard

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been scouring the forums the last few days soaking in lots of new information but I'm still a little overwhelmed, and could use some advice.

First, I would like to buy a pair of headphones for my dad. He has been playing music since he was a kid (plays piano, graduated from school with a degree in choral conducting). He listens about 80% to Classical, and 20% to Jazz. He still, however, doesn't have a nice pair of headphones. I am looking to spend somewhere around $150 or so. I would like a closed ear design and they aren't for portable listening. These will be plugged into either an Onkyo or Yamaha receiver at home.

Second, I am also looking for a new pair of headphones for myself. I currently use a pair of Sony MDR-V300 that I purchased when I was in high school and didn't have any money to spend. They have served me well, but now that I have a job and some birthday money to spend, I would like to get something decent for myself. I listen mostly to Rock, but have recently started to expand my tastes to Jazz and Classical. I don't go crazy on the bass, but I don't want a pair of flat sounding headphones either. These headphones also won't be for portable listening. They'll be plugged into my sound card (an Audigy 2). Price range for these is also in the $150 range. I also think that I would like a closed ear design since I live with a roommate at school and don't want to bother him when listening to music or watching movies. I'm not to familiar with amps for headphones so any advice in that department would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like to overspend on things, but I also don't like to buy junk and then have to upgrade later. I would like to get it right the first time. Over the last few days I have researched the following headphones:

Sennheiser HD280 & HD580, AKG 271 & 240A, Grado SR60 & SR80 & SR125

I was able to listen to my cousin's pair of AKG 270 and was pretty impressed, but I didn't want to make a decision solely on that. I also was able to test out my friend's SR60's and was pretty impressed, but the sound leakage is a little but of a turn off. Unfortunetly, there aren't any A/V stores around my location (At least that I'm aware of. I've looking online and can't find anything-- Around Trenton, NJ) so I can't listen to the rest of the models on my own.

I was hoping some of you guys (and ladies, too) might have some advice to look into models that I may have overlooked, or can make a recommendation about which model to choose.

Thanks very much!!!

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 26
Hey,

For your dad: Maybe AKG501 or HD600's

For you (open): Used Grado SR225 if you're planning to get an amp in the future. If not, then the SR60's or the MS1's, which are an unbelievable value. Perhaps an MS1 and a small amp like the LDM?

(closed): Beyerdynamic 250-80 or Ety ER-4p (they are fairly affordable now, even more so if you buy used)

That's all I can think of for now. Hope that helped

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 26
If these headphones are solely for home listening, then a pair of open headphones would be better than a closed pair in terms of sound quality. For ~150 dollars, you can get a pair of used Grado SR225s in the for sale forum. They usually go for $150-170 USD. Best of luck!

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these headphones are solely for home listening, then a pair of open headphones would be better than a closed pair in terms of sound quality. For ~150 dollars, you can get a pair of used Grado SR225s in the for sale forum. They usually go for $150-170 USD. Best of luck!

For classical and Jazz, I would say this is a bad reccomendation.

I'd look for a K501, or HD580/600.

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 26
For you; I would certainly second the MS-1 suggestion! Excellent for rock and jazz and some of the lighter forms of classical. An amp isn't really a requirement although one could surely be appreciated eventually.

...I normally run my MS-1s unamped through my computer or portable, with no problems. The MS-1s have well controlled bass with reasonable extension.

I am currently planning on HD600 for the classical side of my listening. So yup, perhaps your Dad would like the slightly less expensive HD580. They are an open design however, and since I don't have mine as yet I can't comment on how much they leak sound in or out. I am currently using an Onkyo receiver with my MS2i with pretty good luck, so perhaps your Dad will find a receiver acceptable as well!

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 26
you might wanna check out the beyerdynamic dt880s from BHphoto.com they're going for 150 shipped and that is one hell of a deal, for jazz and classical listening.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 26
For your father, K501 seems very sensible, with maybe an HD580 in second place. Those receiver headphone outs may be a little iffy, but one or the other might do it, especially if either amp is vintage. Otherwise, next Christmas get him an amp.

For your situation, closed may be more necessary to keep from annoying the roommate. You don't like the Audio Technica A5/7/900 series? I'd recommend that for the dorm room and possibly the library, and then some KSC-75 for portable use. NOT the Grados, which might suit your musical taste, but will piss off your roommate for sure and don't do movies that well.

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would choose something from the grado line soley based on the fact that they sound so darn good, even without an amp.

Agreed, but sound leakage is a concern. I'm going to try and borrow my friend's SR60's and try them out for a few days and ask my roommate just how bad the leakage is in his opinion.

Quote:

are IEMs an option?

These will be for non-portable listening, and I think closed ear would be more comfortable, and probably better sound quality, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your dad: Maybe AKG501 or HD600's

A little out of my price range, unfortunetly.

Quote:

For you (open): Used Grado SR225 if you're planning to get an amp in the future. If not, then the SR60's or the MS1's, which are an unbelievable value. Perhaps an MS1 and a small amp like the LDM?

(closed): Beyerdynamic 250-80 or Ety ER-4p (they are fairly affordable now, even more so if you buy used)

I'll look into the Beyerdynamic's and Ety. How do they compare with the rest of the models I mentioned? Any better/worse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For you; I would certainly second the MS-1 suggestion! Excellent for rock and jazz and some of the lighter forms of classical. An amp isn't really a requirement although one could surely be appreciated eventually.

...I normally run my MS-1s unamped through my computer or portable, with no problems. The MS-1s have well controlled bass with reasonable extension.

How much different from the SR60 is the MS-1? It seems like they are very similar. The only thing I don't like is the sound leakage. In terms of sound quality, it seems like they would be perfect :/

Quote:

I am currently planning on HD600 for the classical side of my listening. So yup, perhaps your Dad would like the slightly less expensive HD580. They are an open design however, and since I don't have mine as yet I can't comment on how much they leak sound in or out. I am currently using an Onkyo receiver with my MS2i with pretty good luck, so perhaps your Dad will find a receiver acceptable as well!

The HD580's seems to have good reviews for classical. If paired with a good receiver, will they need an amp too? Or is that something that can be added on later?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might wanna check out the beyerdynamic dt880s from BHphoto.com they're going for 150 shipped and that is one hell of a deal, for jazz and classical listening.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into this model as well as the Beyerdynamic mentioned before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your father, K501 seems very sensible, with maybe an HD580 in second place. Those receiver headphone outs may be a little iffy, but one or the other might do it, especially if either amp is vintage. Otherwise, next Christmas get him an amp.

The K501 seems a bit pricey, but the HD580's are certainly doable. Do you think an amp would really be necessary for classical/jazz?

Quote:

For your situation, closed may be more necessary to keep from annoying the roommate. You don't like the Audio Technica A5/7/900 series? I'd recommend that for the dorm room and possibly the library, and then some KSC-75 for portable use. NOT the Grados, which might suit your musical taste, but will piss off your roommate for sure and don't do movies that well.

I haven't looked into the Audio Technica models that you mention. Looks like I have a bit more homework to do.

I am really liking the price of the HD280's, which seem to be okay for what I need them for, but I am a bit sceptical of the amazon.com reviews. Is the lack of bass/flat sound really that bad with this model? Thanks again to everyone for answering my noob questions and for making your recommendations!

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, but sound leakage is a concern. I'm going to try and borrow my friend's SR60's and try them out for a few days and ask my roommate just how bad the leakage is in his opinion.

Ya, and also see how bad it is for YOU, because open cans don't give you any isolation so any noise would get into your music.

Quote:

These will be for non-portable listening, and I think closed ear would be more comfortable, and probably better sound quality, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

For non-portable, I would say open cans are better in general(there are exceptions of course): noticeably larger sound stage, and you don't get the closed feeling.
If you don't need isolation (that is your first question), just get open ones.

Quote:

I'll look into the Beyerdynamic's and Ety. How do they compare with the rest of the models I mentioned? Any better/worse?

Don't get Ety's, if you are not using them portably there is no point in getting IEMs. With the money you can get way better full-size headphones. Also Ety's are not for rocks...you probably won't like them.

No experience with Beyer's.

Quote:

The HD580's seems to have good reviews for classical. If paired with a good receiver, will they need an amp too? Or is that something that can be added on later?

Amps can always be added later, listen to them first, and then judge by what you hear if you need an amp or not. HD580 and K501 will sound horrible if not sufficiently powered.

Quote:

The K501 seems a bit pricey, but the HD580's are certainly doable. Do you think an amp would really be necessary for classical/jazz?

Not necessary for classical/jazz, but necessary for making those headphones sound good.
K501 and HD580 should be similarly priced (~$130 or less for used pairs)

Quote:

I haven't looked into the Audio Technica models that you mention. Looks like I have a bit more homework to do.

Ya, they isolate (they are closed) and have fairly good soundstage which is rare in lowly-priced closed headphones. they are good for gaming too.

Quote:

I am really liking the price of the HD280's, which seem to be okay for what I need them for, but I am a bit sceptical of the amazon.com reviews. Is the lack of bass/flat sound really that bad with this model? Thanks again to everyone for answering my noob questions and for making your recommendations!

Don't get them, they don't sound that good compare to the other options you have there. I bought a pair of those before I joined Head-Fi (paid full retail price too...)and now they are just sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust...

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much different from the SR60 is the MS-1? It seems like they are very similar. The only thing I don't like is the sound leakage. In terms of sound quality, it seems like they would be perfect :/

The MS-1 is a bit different from the SR-60 in its' sonic signature. The Alessandro series is designed and engineered to be more neutral and analytical than their Grado counterparts which are tuned to be generally more exciting and a bit more "fun"! The MS-1 is thought to be perhaps better suited for a wider range of music types than the SR-60 through SR-125 which are generally considered to excel at rock!.

That's a very good question about the HD580. I'm hoping to be getting a pair of HD600s after the first of the year and I'm also hoping to find my Onkyo doing them justice. Where the problem comes in, as you may well know, is it's very difficult to judge if a particular receiver will do a good job or not till it's tried, what with the variety of headphone output stages and quality of components utilized. I may end up needing an amp. Your Dad may end up needing an amp.....too.
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, and also see how bad it is for YOU, because open cans don't give you any isolation so any noise would get into your music.

Yea it gets noisy in my dormroom at times. I would like something that blocks outside noise, but keeps what I am listening to, in.

Quote:

For non-portable, I would say open cans are better in general(there are exceptions of course): noticeably larger sound stage, and you don't get the closed feeling.
If you don't need isolation (that is your first question), just get open ones.

The SR60's that I tried were awesome, but leaky sound is a no go.

Quote:

Amps can always be added later, listen to them first, and then judge by what you hear if you need an amp or not. HD580 and K501 will sound horrible if not sufficiently powered. Not necessary for classical/jazz, but necessary for making those headphones sound good.

The receiver that my dad would be hooking the headphones to is a Yamaha HTR-5650. I guess we'll find out if an amp will be necessary after he test the headphones out.

Quote:

K501 and HD580 should be similarly priced (~$130 or less for used pairs)

Since its a gift to my dad, I don't want to buy used. The only prices I have found for the K501's has been ~$200. THe HD580's I can find for $130 online.

Quote:

Don't get them, they don't sound that good compare to the other options you have there. I bought a pair of those before I joined Head-Fi (paid full retail price too...)and now they are just sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust...

Good to know. I wonder why people rate them so high then?

I really need to find a store that has these models out to try. Does anyone know if B&H in New York has these models out to listen to? I've been there a few times, but only to test out/buy camera equipment. I never checked out their home audio section.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was already to post the same thing. These are selling for over $200 pretty much everywhere else. It's a top notch phone at that price, I picked one up myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back