Headphone recommendations <$150
Dec 3, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since its a gift to my dad, I don't want to buy used. The only prices I have found for the K501's has been ~$200. THe HD580's I can find for $130 online.

K501s are discontinued, zzounds had them for $99 but sold out.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was already to post the same thing. These are selling for over $200 pretty much everywhere else. It's a top notch phone at that price, I picked one up myself.

I read a few reviews online and it seems that without an amp, the DT880's aren't anything special. They also aren't closed design, so sound will leak in. I wanted to avoid this for the headphones I was going to buy for my dad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K501s are discontinued, zzounds had them for $99 but sold out.

Hmmm... the price should go down elsewhere then too soon. I'll keep an eye on these.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

I read a few reviews online and it seems that without an amp, the DT880's aren't anything special.

You can read all sorts of nonsense online... and offline too for that matter.

Quote:

They also aren't closed design, so sound will leak in. I wanted to avoid this for the headphones I was going to buy for my dad.

All the headphones that have been recommened for your dad aren't closed... it seems that reading people's requirements is too much work for the posters intent on pushing their favourite cans.

Of the phones you listed, the HD280 and K271S are closed. The consensus is that the K271S sounds better and is more comfortable. Maybe the 240A is closed too but I don't recognize that model.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the headphones that have been recommened for your dad aren't closed... it seems that reading people's requirements is too much work for the posters intent on pushing their favourite cans.

HFat, I don't see the grounds for your sneering, considering that by my quick glance at least four of us explained that open headphones would likely suit the OP's father's home listening better. Of course someone just learning the ropes would at first think that closed are more practical, and I think it's helpful to point out that this might not be the case if there is no serious ambient noise to block and nobody within a few feet to be bothered by leakage. The fact that the OP listed five open headphones in his seven original options seemed to indicate that this was still an open question for him.

And I for one wasn't pushing my own favorite cans, but the ones I think suit the OP's needs most closely from among the options he might consider. I have about thirty pairs of headphones right now, and for my own listening I have chosen to acquire nearly none of the ones I recommended to him. Nevertheless, I think these recommendation would suit him and his father better than any of the other options that have been mentioned, unless he gives us additional information that complicates the scenario.

The reason why I respond to this snide comment at such length is that I basically agree with HFat that carelessly given advice is a big problem around here, but lashing out against it without taking into account reasons why people might have parted from the OP's requests is to make the same mistake again.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

You can read all sorts of nonsense online... and offline too for that matter.

Agreed, and I guess the only way to really decide for myself is to listen to each pair on my own, but unfortunetly time is a little tight right now. That, and I can't find any stores in the Trenton/Princeton/Edison, NJ (Basically anywhere up Rt1) area that has many of these models.

Quote:

Indeed, but I'll take all advice and viewpoints. I am pretty set on closed headphones for my dad, but not 100% sure sure about ones for myself. There isn't as much of a time constraint on myself so I might hold off on buying a pair for myself till I have time to go to B&H later in the month once the semester is over.

Quote:

Of the phones you listed, the HD280 and K271S are closed. The consensus is that the K271S sounds better and is more comfortable. Maybe the 240A is closed too but I don't recognize that model.

I've been fortunate to actually listen to the K270 which is basically the same model as the K271S and I was impressed. If my schedule doesn't allow for an NYC visit by next weekend, I might just bite the bullet, buy the K271's, and return if necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFat, I don't see the grounds for your sneering, considering that by my quick glance at least four of us explained that open headphones would likely suit the OP's father's home listening better. Of course someone just learning the ropes would at first think that closed are more practical, and I think it's helpful to point out that this might not be the case if there is no serious ambient noise to block and nobody within a few feet to be bothered by leakage. The fact that the OP listed five open headphones in his seven original options seemed to indicate that this was still an open question for him.

I do appreciate your honesty and advice. I am a novice about headphones and high end audio equipment, but I am interested in learning, and I do want to make sure that I get the right product for my dad. The reason that I think closed would be best is that our house is always noisy. Between the kitchen, my sister always having friends over, and me when I am home from school, it isn't so much a matter of sound leaking out, as it is the rest of the household making noise that will leak in.

In terms of what to get for myself, I think I can look at some open air designs, but ones that don't leak as bad as the Grado's. That'll require a trip to B&H or J&R to test for myself.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

HFat, I don't see the grounds for your sneering, considering ...

The ground for sneering is that this happens in thread after thread actually.

I don't buy your justifications but who cares?
I wasn't sneering at you obviously. You usually make good posts and it's obvious you're putting more effort into this than most of us. I think pretty much everyone has noticed you and knows you're the resident archeologist by now.

biohazard, if you want to research closed headphones, saint.panda's paper is a must read.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

I do appreciate your honesty and advice. I am a novice about headphones and high end audio equipment, but I am interested in learning, and I do want to make sure that I get the right product for my dad. The reason that I think closed would be best is that our house is always noisy. Between the kitchen, my sister always having friends over, and me when I am home from school, it isn't so much a matter of sound leaking out, as it is the rest of the household making noise that will leak in.

Well, I was mainly just bristling at being semi-accused of doing something that annoys me too, but let me try to be helpful here as well. In my experience, household and office noise is rarely loud enough to bother me when I have music playing. The problem in those kinds of places is more often annoying others in close proximity. This is why it might really be an issue for you at school. The real issue is that for your dad's music, the open options are generally much more pleasing than the closed ones at the same price. I wouldn't worry about the amp issue now, just let it be a possible upgrade path in the future-- perhaps by trying one for yourself, and then letting your dad try it with his rig as well.

Quote:

ctually listen to the K270 which is basically the same model as the K271S and I was impressed.

Actually, the K270 has dual drivers per side and is very different from the K271S (look here), which isn't to say the K271 isn't a good headphone, but many find it weak in the bass and lower mids without good amplification.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 26
Biohazard,

Just my two cents.

I know you are pretty set on closed for your father but I'm not sure why (did you mention it? if so I missed it).

I'd reconsider the AKG K501s, I just bought a pair for my father with the same listening taste as yours. I can only say, wow. These cans are fantastic, he loves them, I love them, I'm sad I didn't get two pairs (bought them 2 weeks ago before everyone sold out of them for $99!). They do need an amp of some sort, my mp3 cannot drive them. He's using them with his Sony A/V receiver until his Go-vibe gets here. Should be quite nice.

The HD580s are also hard to drive, so keep that in mind regardless of the great price. I haven't heard them, they get great reviews around here but are supposedly a bit heavier (muddier) than the 501s).

You can pick up a pair of 501s on eBay brand new for $150.00.

Can't help with your cans as I'm in the same boat but looking for opens (leaning towards the MS-1s for now). Just ordered some 414 pads for my Porta Pros to hold me over.

Good luck.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

The ground for sneering is that this happens in thread after thread actually.

I don't buy your justifications but who cares?
I wasn't sneering at you obviously. You usually make good posts and it's obvious you're putting more effort into this than most of us. I think pretty much everyone has noticed you and knows you're the resident archeologist by now.

biohazard, if you want to research closed headphones, saint.panda's paper is a must read.

Yeah, sorry HFat, of course I was just fizzling at being possibly implicated in one of the most annoying aspects of head-fi. In shaking a finger at this I agree with you entirely, as I usually agree with your posts-- which is why I took it to heart in the first place!

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

In my experience, household and office noise is rarely loud enough to bother me when I have music playing.

It bothers me. Maybe you're listening louder than I do.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Wow. Good read and definitely shed some light. Thanks!

Quote:

Actually, the K270 has dual drivers per side and is very different from the K271S (look here), which isn't to say the K271 isn't a good headphone, but many find it weak in the bass and lower mids without good amplification.

I stand corrected. Question then about the bass: If my dad is going to be listening mainly to classical music, will the "weak" bass really be that big of a deal? I'm not as well educated/exposed to classical music, so I really am not 100% sure as to what I should be looking for in a headphone that will mostly have classical playing through them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr. John /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Biohazard,

Just my two cents.

I know you are pretty set on closed for your father but I'm not sure why (did you mention it? if so I missed it).

Basically, my house is pretty noisy. My sister always has friends over that make noise. My family is big on being in the kitchen and talking there a lot. My house is very airy and open, so noise travels rather easily. My dad is also a perfectionist and any outside noises will get in the way of him enjoying the music. I know that for a fact.

Quote:

I'd reconsider the AKG K501s, I just bought a pair for my father with the same listening taste as yours. I can only say, wow. These cans are fantastic, he loves them, I love them, I'm sad I didn't get two pairs (bought them 2 weeks ago before everyone sold out of them for $99!). They do need an amp of some sort, my mp3 cannot drive them. He's using them with his Sony A/V receiver until his Go-vibe gets here. Should be quite nice.

I've been looking into the 501's after someone recommended them on the first page. Would be nice to find them again for $99, and at the moment they are comparably priced with the K271S which also seem to be a good choice for classical music from what I've read. The 501's are open and thats the issue I have.. decisions decisions...
frown.gif

Quote:

The HD580s are also hard to drive, so keep that in mind regardless of the great price. I haven't heard them, they get great reviews around here but are supposedly a bit heavier (muddier) than the 501s).

Also open. I think I might be leaning towards these for myself. I need to find out how bad they leak (if noticable at all).

Quote:

Can't help with your cans as I'm in the same boat but looking for opens (leaning towards the MS-1s for now).

Good luck.

Thanks. I need it... I'm in over my head >_<

Quote:

It bothers me. Maybe you're listening louder than I do.

Yea in my dad's case the outside noise would bother him. Noise isolation is an important factor in my decision of what to buy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back