Headphone recommendation?
Aug 27, 2010 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bigdaddyp16

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.....came to this forum because of all the helpful advice I've seen.  I'm looking for a new pair of 'phones.  I have a pair of JBL Reference 410's that I really liked, except they broke.  They were also a pain to readjust for every use.  I think that's part of the reason they broke.  Anyways, here's an idea of what I'm looking for:

- good isolation (so either in-the-ear or on-the-ear.  could also be over-the-ear if they're more compact, like a on-the-ear-type headband.  so no earbuds or open 'phones.)

- really good bass (loved the bass of the 410's.  they were very punchy......a strong punch.....sounded like they "moved alot  of air." 

- decent sound quality (i don't care for the flat/accurate/studio sounding 'phones.  just looking for something to listen to for fun.  i've mainly just had sony's and the jbl's.)

- good soundstage (i was happy with the 'stage of the 410's.  some closed on-the-ear phones i've tried just sound too much like the music is coming deep from a narrow tube, if that makes sense.)

- i'd like to keep it under $150, but i'm open to going up a bit if it's worth it.  of course i'd buy a $50 pair if they were what i'm looking for, too.)

I'll be using them with an unamped sony walkman x, so they need to be able to be pushed by that, and still be able to reach high volumes.  i've heard bose before and they weren't loud enough, and i just tried out a pair of solo hd's, which didn't have enough bass, didn't sound that good, didn't have a big enough soundstage, and weren't able to reach high volumes, although, i loved everything else about them.  and no, i don't care about dre or monster or anything.  they were just so comfortable, isolated great, and i loved that it had a removable, single-sided, short cable, with a right angle. 

I've done some research on on-the-ear phones, which I would definitely prefer, but I haven't really found anything yet.  I was hoping to like the solo hd's, but they were a huge disappointment.  I'd love to find a pair to match my requirements that also had a single sided, not-so-long cable with a right angle, but if I can't find anything, I'm semi-open to in-the-ear phones.  I'd just prefer not to stick something in my ear if I don't have to. 

I'd appreciate any help, guys!  Thanks in advance. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 10
Oh, and as for the music I listen to, I rip my albums to 192 variable bitrate, which has been great for me as far as quality-to-size ratio.  I used to have everything at 128 constant, so I definitely like the improvement.  Only thing is, I'm not sure if "audiophile" quality phones will make the 192 vbr files sound bad.  I listen to mainly rock/alternative and rap/hip hop, by the way. 

I heard about a big sale on monster turbine pro gold's and they apparently have alot of bass.  So that is a pair I'm considering.  So if anyone could give me any kind of advice at all on an on-ear pair that matches what I'm looking for, the turbine pros, or another in-ear pair, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I actually strongly considered the M50's before, but I was told the HFI 580's were similar and had more bass.  However, the bass of the 580's was a disappointment and they were too bulky.  So I'm trying to avoid full-size phones.  Thanks for the input, though. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 10
If M50 were mentioned, than as another option, some from Sennheiser HD 25´s....

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 10
I noticed them before, but I seen they had an impedance of like 70, which I thought would be VERY hard to drive for an unamped portable.  Isn't that the case? 

Quote:
If M50 were mentioned, than as another option, some from Sennheiser HD 25´s....

Those look really nice, but but they're a bit out of my price range.  I think my hard limit is $175.  Can't really imagine needing to go any higher for what I'm looking for. 

Quote:

Right now, I'm leaning strongly to the Monster Turbine Pro Gold's.  Can get them shipped new for $153.  I think they usually go for $300.  Their frequency graph seems as though they can hit really good with the bass, especially if i boost the clear bass up.  They also seem to isolate extremely well.  And I haven't heard a bad thing about their sound quality.  As long as they don't sound like their coming from a narrow, deep tube (i.e. soundstage?), I'm sure they would be great.  I just wish I could find something similar in an on-the-ear style instead. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 10

Nah, they are NOT hard to drive EVEN from MP3 player/phone and EVEN when unamped. Seriously, no that kind of problem.

And still, it´s definitely not only about impedance, that "hard to drive of cans" stuff.....

So don´t worry about that number, 70 Ohms, in this case - it´s ONLY a number.

BUT yeah, of course...they are better driven/sounds better with Amp, DAC or from some player....

Quote:
I noticed them before, but I seen they had an impedance of like 70, which I thought would be VERY hard to drive for an unamped portable.  Isn't that the case? 

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Really?  That's so frustrating.  I thought impedance was the determining factor of how easy a phone was to drive.  I've actually kind of grown on my in-ear headphones that came with my Sony X, which are supposed to be really good for inclusions.  Their sound quality is better than my broken JBL's, but the bass just isn't enough for me.  I think I'm kind of changing my mind and leaning towards in-ears, more specifically the Monster Turbine Pro Golds.  They should surely have more bass than the MDR-NC020 EX's, shouldn't they? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back