Headphone Recommendation for Closed on Laptop without AMP
Jan 19, 2011 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Palaecro

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys. I've been browsing around for a little while and I'm having trouble finding a replacement to my Sony MDR 7506 headphones. I found them comfy and decent for isolation, however I'm fully aware that I've probably been missing out on most of music listening experience with them (although its mostly MP3 anyway).

I can budget for up to $200, would prefer for something closer to $150 if possible. I read another thread where the Denon D1001 (not sure if they're closed) and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 were recommended. Are there any others you guys would recommend or would you recommend one of these 2? The isolation is important but I don't want noise cancelling, they need to be comfy and as good sounding without an amp I can get for under $200.

Oh btw. Most of the music I listen to is Electronica & Rock.

Many, MANY Thanks in advance if you can help me out 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 29
Would the 

[size=1.7em] AKG K271MKII[/size]

be ok without an amp on a laptop? I know they're above $200 but if they're very comfortable and sound amazing without an amp for laptop use then they're what I need.

Any Suggestions?

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 29
Absolutely not.
I've been informed myself that AKG's are quite hard to drive, even with amps.

For your preferences, most would recommend either the ATH-M50, or Ultrasone HFI-580. I would recommend the latter. :]

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 29
I think the K271's sound just fine without an amp. They are definitely bass-lean though, so if you're used the bass on the 7506's they might sound a little uninteresting at first. They isolate pretty well though, particularly with the vinyl pads.

You should be able to find them for around $150 on Amazon.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 29
ultrasone hif680 or 780 do fine without an amp. Both sound very good. Alternatively, audio-technica's in general also sound good without amps: you'd be looking at the m50 or perhaps the a900.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 29

ultrasone hif680 or 780 do fine without an amp. Both sound very good. Alternatively, audio-technica's in general also sound good without amps: you'd be looking at the m50 or perhaps the a900.

But the OP mentioned emphasis on electronica, wouldn't the 580's better serve his needs rather than the 680/780s? As the HFI-680/780's are more in the neutral spectrum, much less bass oriented.

I think the K271's sound just fine without an amp. They are definitely bass-lean though, so if you're used the bass on the 7506's they might sound a little uninteresting at first. They isolate pretty well though, particularly with the vinyl pads.

You should be able to find them for around $150 on Amazon.

Really? Im sorry I apologize then, I couldve sworn another user informed me that the 271's (as well as most akgs) do require amps. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
But the OP mentioned emphasis on electronica, wouldn't the 580's better serve his needs rather than the 680/780s? As the HFI-680/780's are more in the neutral spectrum, much less bass oriented.

Really? Im sorry I apologize then, I couldve sworn another user informed me that the 271's (as well as most akgs) do require amps.  

Well, they could need amps, but for the life of me I can't tell a difference, other than the slight coloration my amp has.

I even thought the K702's sounded killer straight out of my MP3 player, and that's a headphone that most people say need an amp.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 29
Ultrasone - Any of the closed models will run great unamped - just fill in the price and sound sig and no need to look back. Obviously, try and listen first :)
Any of the closed models will do great for both genres: 780 best on rock; 580 best on electro.
Perfect comfy mode if you get velours and the headband will take it's time to break-in as many users reported discomfort after long periods of time, me inclusive, but it's perfect now.
Very good isolation.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 29
Thanks for all the replies guys it really helps!

So I'm stuck between Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-580 (The a900 also looks very appealing but just not sure how its going to run off my laptop)

I guess the major factors that would determine the winner for me would be;

Best comfort between the 2
Durability - As I'll be carrying them with me in my laptop case
Sound Isolation

What would you guys do?

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 29
Agree.

Ultrasone for portable easy to drive closed back cans all the way!

I have been eyeing some PRO750s for some time now...looking to maybe upgrade the HD 448 for portable use (despite my soft spot for them)

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 29
I think I'm also looking to choose between those same two models because I want to go to something different than my Senn HD555's.. both of these choices offer more bass and still keep a very comfortable around ear design.. I'm only leaning to the Audio's currently because of the coiled cord sadly lol.. what are the major differences between the two though?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
I think I'm also looking to choose between those same two models because I want to go to something different than my Senn HD555's.. both of these choices offer more bass and still keep a very comfortable around ear design.. I'm only leaning to the Audio's currently because of the coiled cord sadly lol.. what are the major differences between the two though?

Hmm..the general consensus is that the HFI-580 is more detailed with mids/highs/soundstage, and has a tighter, punchier (and slightly more controlled) bass.

The ATH-M50 however boasts much better comfort, slightly less detail, slightly more bass.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 29
Yea I mean I want more bass than my HD555's so the HFI's are probably fine while keeping clarity, and I'm sure both are very comfortable as much as the HD555's, but god how much I'd love a coiled cord these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back