Headphone Recommendation <$600
Jul 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

chrismercurio

New Head-Fier
All,.

Can someone recommend some headphones based on the following impressions of what I have heard:

HD600's - Not that transparent but pleasant. Comfortable.
K701's - Transparent, but unengaging. Uncomfortable.
GS1000's- Transparent, engaging with and upper midrange low treble edge that is livable. Comfortable.
AHD-7000's- Transparent, engaging with too much bass and upper frequency glare that I could not live with. Comfortable.
SR60/80/125/225/325- Haven't heard these in years, but never liked the sound or the comfort level.

I haven't heard any Ultrasone's or Audio Technica phones, and haven't heard the current offerings from Sony either.

So while I'm dreaming, I want the overall sound, presentation, and comfort level of the GS1000's with a more integrated midrange/treble...for ~half the money. Can it be done?
confused_face(1).gif

Thank you,

Chris

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 34
My 2 cents, buy the D7000 at j&r.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your D7000 impression.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 34
Have you heard the DT880? Its a good headphone at a great price. Its quite airy and spacious, and although I haven't heard the GS1000, I bet it would be a good bet. And at $300, it's worth a try

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismercurio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So while I'm dreaming, I want the overall sound, presentation, and comfort level of the GS1000's with a more integrated midrange/treble...for ~half the money. Can it be done?
confused_face(1).gif

Based on the cans I'm familiar with, I'd say the HD800. But not at half the GS1K's price.

Have you tried the K701 with different amps? You might get what you're looking for with the right amp.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 34
Just wondering, are you sure you aren't confusing brightness with transparency? It's a common mistake.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 34
How about W5000? I am loving mine. You will probably have to grab a used pair with your budget though.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 34
The Audio Technica AD2000's may fit your needs, although you would want to listen to them first. They're a bit over $600 new, but they're be below $600 used.
They have a midrange emphasis, pretty neutral in bass and treble.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, are you sure you aren't confusing brightness with transparency? It's a common mistake.

I used the words glare and edge to describe brightness. I noted seperately if I felt it was transparent or not. I have been in this hobby for ~13 years and know the difference between the two. The reason I mentioned what I haven't heard was that maybe those phones bridge the gap.

Do you have a recommendation? I gave my impressions over a handful of phones so that people would know what my preferences were.

Thank you,

Chris

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the K701 with different amps? You might get what you're looking for with the right amp.

The K701 was with the Grace m902.

To others regarding the AT headphones, I would love to hear some of these but do not know where to go in the SF Bay area to hear them. There is the meet-up in August though.

Thanks,

Chris

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 34
If you enjoyed the Grado SR line, how about trying the RS line? A used RS-1 is well within your budget. So is the RS-2, and you might want to look at the HF-2 while it is still available.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 34
I would suggest you wait for that meet (and hope some people in your area bring the AT's). If you give the phones a good listen, you'll have way less of a chance of buyers' remorse, especially since the higher end AT's are imports and nonreturnable.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you enjoyed the Grado SR line, how about trying the RS line? A used RS-1 is well within your budget. So is the RS-2, and you might want to look at the HF-2 while it is still available.

Uncle Erik,

What I said was:

SR60/80/125/225/325- Haven't heard these in years, but never liked the sound or the comfort level.

Which meant I really didn't like them. The GS1000 shocked this sh!t out of me because it didn't sound, at least to me, anything like the others and I liked it.

I know you have heard everything...so what do you think?

Thank you,

Chris

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 34
So you basically only like the bass and comfort of the GS1000? I've yet to hear a <$600 phone with big bass and nice mids, let alone any of your other criteria. In fact, I can only think of about 3 phones total off the top of my head with big bass and nice mids, regardless of price.

You have way too many requirements, IMO.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you basically only like the bass and comfort of the GS1000? I've yet to hear a <$600 phone with big bass and nice mids, let alone any of your other criteria. In fact, I can only think of about 3 phones total off the top of my head with big bass and nice mids, regardless of price.

You have way too many requirements, IMO.

I like just about everything about the GS1000 but found it to be a little peaky in the upper midrange lower treble. I'm not really crazy about "big bass" as I thought the Denon's were overbearing in the lowest registers. Out of curiosity what are the three headphones you were thinking of?

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back