Headphone Recommendation ($200<)
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #16 of 24
You should seriously consider used IEM market on for sale forums. Closed headphones are simply not worth the price, considering sound as well as the comfort. Of course IMO.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 24
The H6 Gen 2 are great, although they might not be bassy enough if that's what you're looking for. They have great sub-bass impact (try listening to a subwoofer test with these things), but the mid-bass isn't as strong. They are very neutral sounding indeed with nice balance, as they are not super bright, but the treble extension is nice, without being sharp. I find them to be fairly transparent; if you listen to a dark recording, they sound dark. If you listen to a bright recording, they'll sound bright. But they're smooth and don't feature much of the grain of more analytical headphones, making them better for pure listening. They can be had for $250 or so now I believe, maybe even less if you shop around.

Another headphone that seems to be liked around here is the Meze 99 Neo, which is apparently very warm and bassy but in a good way; I don't know how the sub-bass extension is compared to the H6 but the mid-bass is pretty big. Those sell for $200.

I like everything you just said and feel as if I'm dead set on these headphones. Though I like a v-shaped sound, I feel as if I may prefer this sound better. As much as I like bass, I also like to have a good midrange and highs that will not make my ears bleed. And I like how everyone is saying that the H6 sounds really smooth.
Do you know anything about the H7s? I know wirelessly, they'll sound inferior to the H6s, but if I were to use them with a wire, would they sound similar? (Whether I get the H6 or H7, I would be buying a new cable either way as I've read that the stock ones are not good. I just feel like, if the H7 sounds like the H6 wired, why not get the H7 (which I've found for cheaper than the H6) and use it wirelessly when I need to).

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #18 of 24
I would also recommend the Sennheiser HD1. It's a great HP and it's not picky about source and genre. Almost everything sounds good on it. I believe Amazon sells it new for 175 dollars at the moment.

Yeah, people continue to recommend it to me and it's intriguing me just a little bit. How is the midrange on it? Do you know how they would compare to other wireless headphones (besides the P7W), like the B&O H7 (which I'm interested in too)?

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 24
You should seriously consider used IEM market on for sale forums. Closed headphones are simply not worth the price, considering sound as well as the comfort. Of course IMO.

What used IEM would you recommend? Because I recently lost my Samsung AKGs (that came with my phone) and am considering getting myself a pair of IEMs WITH a new set of headphones. I usually switch between an IEM and a pair of headphones; the IEMs for the gym and most of my commutes at University, and then the headphones for when I'm at my laptop working or watching content, and when I'm just trying to enjoy listening to music.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #21 of 24
The ATH M50X are a solid choice in the price range, and even somewhat above it.
Personally, I like the ATH MSR7 more.
Sonically a bit more balanced; less of the "tank"-like build of the ATH M50X (though
still very nicely made). To me they're more transparent and detailed without being
"bright" in any kind of bad way.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/9f55d2de9afd8f31/

MSRP is obviously higher than you're looking to spend, but of course
if you look around you can find them for less. Not long ago, for instance,
Amazon had them for weeks at about $180. Also, they're available in
various color schemes of which some typically are priced less than the
others.

As much as people praise the Audio-Technica's for the price, I'm not sure why, but the sound does not do much for me. Now, I'm basing this off of the ATH-m50s a friend of mine had that I tried, and I wasn't impressed as much as i thought I would be. THe m50x are probably way better, and I'm just afraid of the highs on the MSR7s. People have compared it to the Sony MDr-1as a lot (which I've demoed and liked, but it lacked a little bit of "fun" or "humph"), stating it had more highs than it and I'm not quite sure I want that. Then again, I've never listened to them so all of this is biased. All I know is I would not be able to stand the highs on the Beyerdynamic DT 770s.

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #22 of 24
For me, I didn't find the M50X terrible, and I could definitely listen to it. How and why it got so hyped is beyond me. Call me crazy, but I prefer the M40x, especially after a pad swap. The Shure srh840 is better than both imo as far as sound quality goes.

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 24
I like everything you just said and feel as if I'm dead set on these headphones. Though I like a v-shaped sound, I feel as if I may prefer this sound better. As much as I like bass, I also like to have a good midrange and highs that will not make my ears bleed. And I like how everyone is saying that the H6 sounds really smooth.
Do you know anything about the H7s? I know wirelessly, they'll sound inferior to the H6s, but if I were to use them with a wire, would they sound similar? (Whether I get the H6 or H7, I would be buying a new cable either way as I've read that the stock ones are not good. I just feel like, if the H7 sounds like the H6 wired, why not get the H7 (which I've found for cheaper than the H6) and use it wirelessly when I need to).
Unfortunately I haven’t heard the H7. I’ve read that they’re just slightly inferior, and they have a little more bass.

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #24 of 24
Yeah, people continue to recommend it to me and it's intriguing me just a little bit. How is the midrange on it? Do you know how they would compare to other wireless headphones (besides the P7W), like the B&O H7 (which I'm interested in too)?

I haven't tested the B&O H7 so I couldn't comment on that. I would say the HD1 has a similar sound signature to the P7, but to my ears the P7 is a tad more energetic where the HD1 is more laid back. If I remember correctly the P7 has also a tad more and defined bass with more weight and attack to it. The mids on the HD1 to my ears are quite similar to the P7. Not to recessed and not to forward, just about right warm and full sounding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back