Headphone Reccomendation (Tight, Loud, Punchy Bass)
May 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

DJPixcell

Head-Fier
I have been window shopping headphones for.. god knows how long.. my original attention was at some AKG's, but I tried a pair of k240's that my friend had, and I really liked the sound, I just didn't think they were loud enough.. obviously thinking they need an amp..

Well I listen to A LOT of electronic music; house, trance, progressive, drum and bass, etc.
And I would love to have a full size headphone that can give me a nice punch of bass, yet still providing clarity. I hate muddy bass that sounds like it drowns out everything else.. I am just talking clear, yet HARD, bass.

I have also looked at the Denon D-2000 headphones, look very nice, price on the other hand is a bit iffy for me.. considering I am TRYING to go un-amped..

Can anyone recommend a good pair of full size headphones that are great for electronic music, tight punchy bass, but still have nice clarity? Im not looking for clarity in the forms of studio style like the Shure SRH840.. nice clean heavy bass.. lol

Sorry if this sounds too "noobish", no expert by any means.. I just heavily enjoy my music..

Im open for any suggestions, regardless of price.. BUT my wallet is often empty.. lol so something bellow $200 would be nice.

Something unamped would be preferred but, I think the max I can do for an amp right now is the headroom bithead/airhead

Thank you for anything really.

May 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 36
HD25-II if you think SRH840 is too clean and flat.

May 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 36
Here come the rain of M50 recommendations

May 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 36
Actually I only assumed the SRH840's were flatter.. as I have read that they are by no means a heavy sounding bass headphone.. just particular for clean clarity and obviously some bass.

Been looking at the Sony MDR XB700's but Sony isn't a brand I usually turn to for headphones..

I have never heard the HD25-II 's myself.. Unfortuneatly I live in a somewhat more remote location, and the headphone variety here is downright horrible. So I have no means of going out and trying headphones..

The most amount of headphones we have in my area are Skullcandy, and that just makes me sick. (I absolutely hate everything about skullcandy..)

But yeahh.. lol thanks for the recommendation so far! :) I will do some research on the pair, the price seems to be just under my budget at 199 at headroom but I am sure I could find cheaper..

May 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 36
Sonys Are damn good. For this Genre. Very Deep and Clear, no distortion here!! i have them (personaly they work the best when im outside..  better than if i was inside..  Not The best for Noisy surroundings but still work great.

May 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 36
The ATH-M50s are looking real nice.. the price looks pretty good too. Reviews are great, and an emphasis that they are clear yet still have a nice punch.

XB700's I always get some people saying that they are good, but I just don't know if they are BETTER or equal to others, such as the M50's or the HD25's mentioned previously.

Im just looking to be fully in trance into my music, over-ear headphones.. typically I would like them closed.. but if the better sound comes from open.. ill go for it as long as its not considerably more..

I can get the M50's for $141.84 (after shipping to canada), and the xb700's for $113.89 (after shipping to canada)..

The HD25's are looking like to be a bit much for me, considering it will come to $225.20 to get them where I am.

edit; I have also been looking at the sony MDR-V700DJ headphones, which appear to have a good sound judging by reviews, but look like they tend to break..

May 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 36
For trance, M50's are good. Also look at the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Ultrasone HFI series, and Pro 750 (if you don't mind buying used).

May 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 36
ATH-M50 have good but not detailed bass.
Ultrasones is exactly what you described.

So +1 for Ultrasone. 750 Pro is the best bet.

May 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 36
alright and these Ultrasone Pro 750's they sound this good unamped? or with?

ebay isn't looking that good..

I'm just not thinking I will be able to afford the Ultrasone's..

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 36
I'd try the FS forum here. You can generally get them for sub $200. I saw one go for $160 a while back. I haven't seen some for sale in a while though so maybe a WTB ad would be best. When I tried them out they did pretty well from my netbook. I'll let someone else comment on amping.

May 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 36

Quote:
alright and these Ultrasone Pro 750's they sound this good unamped? or with?

ebay isn't looking that good..

I'm just not thinking I will be able to afford the Ultrasone's..

they sound quite good unamped, you can probably get them new for $250 or even less on ebay if you wait for deals/ best offer, I did
tongue_smile.gif

they are very versatile cans, but for sure electronic, dance, etc sound the best on these

May 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 36

Quote:

they sound quite good unamped, you can probably get them new for $250 or even less on ebay if you wait for deals/ best offer, I did
tongue_smile.gif

they are very versatile cans, but for sure electronic, dance, etc sound the best on these

Due to my location, would cost around $300 or more to get them. If these are the best, then I don't exactly need them right now.. as right now, I don't have good enough stuff to be worthy of such nice headphones.

Just looking for something more affordable right now, but these will have to be my choice for the final main pair of headphones I desire to get.

The DJ1 Pro and the Pro 750 .. are they the same ? Price wise they both vary.. but looks like the 750's will cost about $320 to get them where I am. around the same for the DJ1 Pro's.

As for an affordable 'alternative' if you could say.. Sony MDR V700's good buy? XB700's? or are those M50's better than those 2 as well..?

May 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 36
I have a friend who has the Pro 750 and I FINALLY got to try them a few weeks back. They sound AMAZING even unamped, and he was using a Zune. The cheapest Amazon has them for is 248.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back