Headphone Power Requirements.
Sep 13, 2023 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

N3XED

New Head-Fier
So I've been doing a lot of casual research over the last couple years on headphones/amps and they function as a whole. Still learning more and always willing to get more answers from this talented and I feel may be *slightly* over-qualified audio community 🙃. Nah, in all seriousness you guys are awesome.

However, once again I'm in need a question to be answered. it's been constantly hammered into my brain that speakers/headphones alike require db/mw and db/w to function as a baseline of power. And that headphone isn't using *any* more then that at a certain time regardless of amplifier being used. What I want to know however, is *why* headphones *only* draw said amount of power. Now I know power = V x C, and that certain headphones need more voltage or current based on Impedance and SPL being high/low. But are headphones/speakers *truly* only consuming a single milliwatt/watt of power to reach that specified SPL? Is the extra power an amplifier can provide when been saturated simply going to waste due to inefficiency of topology/heat?

I feel like I'm missing an extra step to the equation here that would explain a lot. But I've yet find a singular reason. So please add as much input as you feel is necessary!

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 2
Headphones and Speakers for the most part are not using a lot of wattage until a dynamic passage hits then if the speaker in question does not have a reserve so to speak it will clip causing damage to both amp and speaker some never experience this if they listen at low volume levels or have more than enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back