Headphone noob question.. V-Moda vs ATHM50s vs Sennheiser?
Oct 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JohnLD

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, as of now, I own a pair of Senneheiser HD 439's but the sound I am looking for isn't there. I want a pair of headphones that have good sound isolation (nothing that needs a battery like Bose) and I am also looking for headphones that I can blast (if I wear them around my neck) but at the same time not blow out the speaker.. So I was wondering if i should:       

A.) Get a Fiio e11 pocket amp with L9 LOD for my Sennheiser HD 439'2

B.) Buy ATH-M50s

C.) Buy V-Moda Crossfade LP's

P.S. I will be listening to music out of my iPod.

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Maybe try expanding on what you think is lacking in the HD439s? Both of the other options don't really excel at isolation, so maybe look elsewhere? Are you comfortable with on-ear as well as over-ear? If so, the DT1350 and HD25-1 have really good isolation, almost as good as some IEMs. 

Best you look here as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

I also don't recommend using the headphones as a speaker around your neck. For one, it obviously wouldn't sound as good as if you had them on your head, as there's no seal. For another, it's ridiculously obnoxious when I see somebody do that in public. Do others a favour and not blast your (well, to them crappy) music wherever you go, please!

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 6
V-Moda M80.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Don't wear headphones as a necklace, you will look like a goober.

M50's have great isolation and I am enjoying them so far. I haven't heard very many other headphones but I enjoy them and would recommend them. But honestly if you are a basshead I think you could do better. I get the bass that I want with a Fiio E11 but without the amp the low-end isn't enough in my opinion.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Maybe try expanding on what you think is lacking in the HD439s? Both of the other options don't really excel at isolation, so maybe look elsewhere? Are you comfortable with on-ear as well as over-ear? If so, the DT1350 and HD25-1 have really good isolation, almost as good as some IEMs. 

Best you look here as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

I also don't recommend using the headphones as a speaker around your neck. For one, it obviously wouldn't sound as good as if you had them on your head, as there's no seal. For another, it's ridiculously obnoxious when I see somebody do that in public. Do others a favour and not blast your (well, to them crappy) music wherever you go, please!

I don't plan on using my headphones around my neck, I just mean if it was around my neck, I like to be able to hear it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back