Headphone Meet in Pittsburgh, PA - October 22nd 2022
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #151 of 155
Have you heard the HD600? Same thing. Literally the same driver. I ordered some custom grilles but I got an email letting me know they would be delayed a bit and haven't heard back.
I have heard the HD 600 (but it’s been awhile). The HD 580 was Axel Grell’s first headphone design for Sennheiser. However, having talked to Axel, he says the plastic herringbone pattern grilles actually had resonance, and he felt he could bring the tuning closer to the original electrostat HE90 Orpheus (as close as a dynamic driver could, anyway), thus the Sennheiser anniversary edition HD 580 Jubilee (the Carbon Fiber appliqué one) which eventually became the production HD 600.
That said, I’ve been reading impressions for months where people are just really digging the timbre and richness of the old original HD 580.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #152 of 155
I have heard the HD 600 (but it’s been awhile). The HD 580 was Axel Grell’s first headphone design for Sennheiser. However, having talked to Axel, he says the plastic herringbone pattern grilles actually had resonance, and he felt he could bring the tuning closer to the original electrostat HE90 Orpheus (as close as a dynamic driver could, anyway), thus the Sennheiser anniversary edition HD 580 Jubilee (the Carbon Fiber appliqué one) which eventually became the production HD 600.
That said, I’ve been reading impressions for months where people are just really digging the timbre and richness of the old original HD 580.

I tried putting the metal grilles from my 6XX on the 580 and couldn't hear a difference so I put them back. I actually couldn't hear a difference with no grilles. This thread reminded me to email back the people with the custom grilles. They said mine will ship today so thats nice.

https://store.malvix.com/products/custom-sennheiser-replacement-grilles?variant=41070288928951

If I was trapped on an island and could only have one headphone would probably be the 580. Its the first "real" headphone I got after the 595, which is "consumer grade"

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #153 of 155
If I can make it, probably would bring this setup. New DIY DAC and amp with the ZMF Caldera. The amp is a DIY project I am planning to release in the next few months.

PXL_20230209_193535053.NIGHT-2.jpg

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #154 of 155
If I can make it, probably would bring this setup. New DIY DAC and amp with the ZMF Caldera. The amp is a DIY project I am planning to release in the next few months.

PXL_20230209_193535053.NIGHT-2.jpg
I want to learn and do some beginner’s DIY stuff this summer (probably start with cables, maybe fix my home theater receiver, see where I go from there). Can you recommend a soldering kit for someone who has almost nothing?

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #155 of 155
I want to learn and do some beginner’s DIY stuff this summer (probably start with cables, maybe fix my home theater receiver, see where I go from there). Can you recommend a soldering kit for someone who has almost nothing?
Not sure if this is the absolute best starter kit out there, but I bought this on Amazon and it has served me well when I tried to repair my estat amp. It has a whole bunch of helpful accessories like a solder pump (to suck away solder like a solder wick), a pair of tweezers, a clamp to hold small things in place, a whole bunch of tips for the iron, a roll of solder, some solder flux, and a bunch of other things. The amp repair didn't work, that amp is still dead, but that's more due to me probably making a mistake somewhere rather than the soldering kit being bad. I got a new amp, similar type, which I will bring to the meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back