Headphone Measurements: The New Standard, Part 1
post-15758030
Post #31 of 40
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on the GRAS RA0402 coupler in regards to the new 5128? I love that a new approach and standard has come about though, so cool! I'm a fan of more information is better than less :wink: lol... a great read, and I look forward to the next portions and future updates as you learn and share your experiences @jude

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
post-15761738
Post #33 of 40

eldus

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
AKG K240 test when? lol. Will there be a section for measurements on the site?

post-15764945
Post #34 of 40

castleofargh

Sound Science Forum Moderator
Reaction score
We all hear highs differently?

Hmmm....
All, maybe not. But you can expect some variations between people. Just your left and right ears being of slightly different shapes, probably cause significant high freq differences at the eardrums. As to why high freqs and not so much lower frequencies? Well that's because high frequencies have shorter wavelengths. It's just physics. Being shorter, they are impacted more by smaller variations in shapes, volumes, distances(reflections, resonances). But of course it's not strictly limited to high frequencies.

There is another possible cause of perceived variations, it's the fact that our subjective experience of sound is always that of some waves bouncing on our body and being altered by it before reaching the eardrum. That's our constant experience of real sound and we're so used to it that our brain actually uses those as cues to locate the sound source. With headphones and IEMs, the sound source bypasses some of those acoustic changes from our body(because the driver is so close to the ear). That could ironically lead to hearing a sound closer to what another listener will hear, yet feel more differences in our subjective impressions. Because our brain is still applying the usual mental and personal compensation(think EQ in this specific context of measuring FR with dummy heads) onto a signal that only needed part of it. So you and I might listen to the same headphone and feel more differences in our experience of the signature than when we're both listening to a guy playing the guitar while sitting close to each other.

And the third possible cause for change: placement. How we put on the headphone. How tight is the clamp because of the size of our skull and forcing the driver a little closer as a result. How far we insert the IEM. All that will have some impact on the sound reaching the eardrum.

post-15764987
Post #35 of 40

sidecross

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
All, maybe not. But you can expect some variations between people. Just your left and right ears being of slightly different shapes, probably cause significant high freq differences at the eardrums. As to why high freqs and not so much lower frequencies? Well that's because high frequencies have shorter wavelengths. It's just physics. Being shorter, they are impacted more by smaller variations in shapes, volumes, distances(refl of ralityections, resonances). But of course it's not strictly limited to high frequencies.

There is another possible cause of perceived variations, it's the fact that our subjective experience of sound is always that of some waves bouncing on our body and being altered by it before reaching the eardrum. That's our constant experience of real sound and we're so used to it that our brain actually uses those as cues to locate the sound source. With headphones and IEMs, the sound source bypasses some of those acoustic changes from our body(because the driver is so close to the ear). That could ironically lead to hearing a sound closer to what another listener will hear, yet feel more differences in our subjective impressions. Because our brain is still applying the usual mental and personal compensation(think EQ in this specific context of measuring FR with dummy heads) onto a signal that only needed part of it. So you and I might listen to the same headphone and feel more differences in our experience of the signature than when we're both listening to a guy playing the guitar while sitting close to each other.

And the third possible cause for change: placement. How we put on the headphone. How tight is the clamp because of the size of our skull and forcing the driver a little closer as a result. How far we insert the IEM. All that will have some impact on the sound reaching the eardrum.
Add to what has been written above, our individual brain and consciousness is an interpretation of reality.

When it comes down to evaluation, hearing is an art and not subject to a true absolute, and is a reason music as art is a human characteristic.

Reactions: Mshenay and halcyon
post-15769178
Post #36 of 40

TYATYA

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Error of measurement makes me always to do sine sweep a headphone, earphone by my gear and judgement by my ears.
Shure kse looks bad graph of FR but to my ears, only narrow peak at 6300Hz existing, not at 9k and not so high sound pressure

Last edited:
post-15785569
Post #37 of 40
Reaction score
We all hear highs differently?

Hmmm....
Yes, @castleofargh made a great intro post covering most of the info!

All, maybe not. But you can expect some variations between people. Just your left and right ears being of slightly different shapes, probably cause significant high freq differences at the eardrums. As to why high freqs and not so much lower frequencies? Well that's because high frequencies have shorter wavelengths. It's just physics. Being shorter, they are impacted more by smaller variations in shapes, volumes, distances(reflections, resonances). But of course it's not strictly limited to high frequencies.

Yes! This is born out in testing.
Just to add one more thing to what is written above: you mention high frequencies have shorter wavelengths, and sound being altered before reaching the eardrum. Not too long ago I learned that our ears actually have a resonant frequency in the highs. All tubes have a resonant frequency where the wavelength is reinforced by the cylindrical structure... just like when you're humming in the shower, you might notice a pitch that suddenly is louder and the space seems to hum with you (If you haven't tried this yet... it's fun to find the right pitch, makes you feel powerful!). Now our ear canals are much narrower, thus the frequency is higher, and as evident by all our different IEM ear tip size needs, we have different resonant frequencies.

This is why I found Jude's "T-1000" gif so funny... and an apt consideration of the trickiness of ear simulators. Not only are our outer ears different to some degree, so is the diameter and bend of our inner ears. I would like to know more about the material used for ear simulation... is the silicone a close enough approximation of how reverberant and absorptive our skin is? And how much of an effect does the hairs on our skin affect the sound, especially as I notice some of my ear hair growing longer, haha!

Keep this in mind next time someone says the treble is too hot or too weak... it might not be their preferences, hearing damage, or psychoacoustics, it could just be their different physiology (at least partially).

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
post-15786002
Post #38 of 40

Piotr Michalak

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Headphone Measurements: The New Standard, Part 1
Wrote to these guys for a quote. Received no response. I understand that these hats are not cheap. But straight ignoring a potential prospect doesn't lead to sales either. Maybe these are reserved for established brands only? But then, why publish videos on youtube and head-fi and have a contact form, rather than just make selective sales and presentations? I wanna build a professional rig. However if almost no one publishes these new-standard measurements and almost no one has this thing, what's the value of this? We will only see a measurement from Jude once in a while maybe?

Reactions: halcyon
post-15786530
Post #39 of 40

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Wrote to these guys for a quote. Received no response. I understand that these hats are not cheap. But straight ignoring a potential prospect doesn't lead to sales either. Maybe these are reserved for established brands only? But then, why publish videos on youtube and head-fi and have a contact form, rather than just make selective sales and presentations? I wanna build a professional rig. However if almost no one publishes these new-standard measurements and almost no one has this thing, what's the value of this? We will only see a measurement from Jude once in a while maybe?

Hey, it's a Danish company, what do you expect? :beyersmile:

Reactions: Piotr Michalak
post-15786591
Post #40 of 40

Mshenay

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
oakforestaudio.blogspot.com
Yes, @castleofargh made a great intro post covering most of the info!

Yes! This is born out in testing.
Just to add one more thing to what is written above: you mention high frequencies have shorter wavelengths, and sound being altered before reaching the eardrum. Not too long ago I learned that our ears actually have a resonant frequency in the highs. All tubes have a resonant frequency where the wavelength is reinforced by the cylindrical structure... just like when you're humming in the shower, you might notice a pitch that suddenly is louder and the space seems to hum with you (If you haven't tried this yet... it's fun to find the right pitch, makes you feel powerful!). Now our ear canals are much narrower, thus the frequency is higher, and as evident by all our different IEM ear tip size needs, we have different resonant frequencies.

This is why I found Jude's "T-1000" gif so funny... and an apt consideration of the trickiness of ear simulators. Not only are our outer ears different to some degree, so is the diameter and bend of our inner ears. I would like to know more about the material used for ear simulation... is the silicone a close enough approximation of how reverberant and absorptive our skin is? And how much of an effect does the hairs on our skin affect the sound, especially as I notice some of my ear hair growing longer, haha!

Keep this in mind next time someone says the treble is too hot or too weak... it might not be their preferences, hearing damage, or psychoacoustics, it could just be their different physiology (at least partially).
This also applies to harmonics, not just the reinforcement of a fundamental tone

https://testhifi.com/2019/08/09/fla...rally-weighted-intermodulation-disconsonance/

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.497.2126&rep=rep1&type=pdf

So yea some of the difference in how we hear is partially due to physiology! An @jude it's awesome to see you guys are yet again pushing the standard for headphone measurements! It'll be great to see the new measurements off this system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)