Headphone Make-over
Dec 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BigCat15

New Head-Fier
So for Christmas this year i've decided to treat myself to a headphone make-over and buy a few new sets of headphones. Basically I have three types of headphones that I want:

1. One set of in-ear (I know different section for these) for my iPhone that include mic and and remote. I was thinking the new set of Klipsch S5i rugged. Price range 100 - 150

2. One set of portable full-size (no amp necessary) that I can use with my iPhone and Laptop just for leisure. I don't want these to be massive, but fairly care-free and durable. The Koss PortaPro look decent but seem too cheap to be anything special. Price range 50 - 100

3 And lastly, a pair of full-size at home (requires an amp) that will be used at home for music and movies on my desktop. I have a DarkVoice 336SE amp. Price range 250 - 400

Music-wise I listen to a VERY wide variety but mostly House, RnB, Hip Hop... in otherwise bass is important. However my soft spot for classic rock still needs to be fulfilled!

I understand that there is a different section for in-ear but I figured I would save the hastle of multiple posts and see how this one goes. If nothing comes up i'll post over in the other section.

SO, if anyone has any ideas on what I should get please please please chime in! However, please DO NOT claim that a pair of headphones is the best because it's the only headphone you have and haven't tried any others... sorry if that sounded rude I just want an honest opinion from people who have tried them all... or a lot.

Many thanks!

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 2
Yuin makes some nice in ears if your looking for bud style. If youre looking to IEMs try the Shure or Westone lineups. I had shures for a long time, they are satisfactory for portables in my opinion. 

I have not tried many portables but the portapros actually have a good rep around here and others you may want to look at are the grado sr60, or some from the Audio Technica Line-up.

I think for your music choice i would say stay away from the k701. It is a great phone but not bassy. I think you may want to check out the HD600/HD650 as a kind of all arounder  or maybe the beyer 770 600ohm if you really like your bass. Denons may be another good one to look into, their lineup is supposed to be quite bassy though I admit I have only heard the 600/650/ and 701 of my recommendations, the rest is from reading impressions on headfi. 

Good luck,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back