Headphone Jacks Keep Breaking... Is it me or them?
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Trip.Rock.Post.Hop

New Head-Fier
so a few years back my 5G ipod vid headphone jack broke, i replaced it, it broke again within a few weeks. that and my phone breaking caused me to get an iphone. about 6 months later the Jack on the iphone broke. i brushed these experiences off as planned obsolecence, so I started researching alternative methods of routing signal to my headphones without using an apple headphone jack. I decided to get a ibasso t3 and run through the Line out. (the difference in sound quality was UNREAL) but now both of the Jacks on the Ibasso are supper sensitive. it works, but you gotta play with it a bit. I was just wondering why this keeps happening to me? I do use my setup almost everyday while walking, skating, and other activities, but I have never really fallen on it or caused any other serious trauma to the jacks. is there a company that makes headphone jacks known for their durability? my ibasso is still under warranty and the guys there told me if i wanted to send them different jacks they would install them for me, otherwise they will just replace them with the same kind they already had.... i just REALLY dont want to deal with another faulty Jack again. any ideas?

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 11
@3602, as the headphone jack didnt work, i removed it and the hold switch and used a piece of shoestring to make a little handle for it to hang off my backpack shoulder strap on a carabiner. I was thinking that maybe since it shakes a bit while i walk it mite be the issue... 
@wolfen, I typically use it with the straight jack on my 325i's... ill keep a right angle plug in mind next time around. 
thank you both for ur input

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
@wolfen, I typically use it with the straight jack on my 325i's... ill keep a right angle plug in mind next time around. 
thank you both for ur input

As I recall, the 325's come stock with a 1/4 inch plug.  If you are using a straight 1/4 to 1/8 adapter with it, that is definitely your problem.  I would recommend using the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that helps reduce stress on the jack, or better yet, convert the 325's to a 1/8 right angle as already suggested.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 11
I think its pretty plain that its not the equipment thats faulty, definitely lose the adapter and use a right angle mini if you must skate with your rig. switchcraft are generally more rugged, but nothing that has any kind of leverage is going to survive your habits for long.you can probably even bend the ground pin back again, i'd bet money its just been bent so doesnt force proper contact

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 11
@qusp
I have done a few electrical  repair jobs but nothing on something small like a headphone jack. I'm assuming you're talking about the ground pin on the inside of the output jack? how would i go about getting in and bending the ground pin back?

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 11
depends on the jack, many will allow access to the innards as the back of them is exposed. the ground contact will be the closest to the panel and realy isnt much I can tell you without knowing what the part is. if its possible, it should be fairly easy to see. good luck

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 11
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back