Headphone Identity Crisis (help lol)
Nov 8, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #16 of 145
You should get some TTVJ Flats for those bad boys. They were designed for Flats so that would probably be your best option. How do the screws look?

Btw I hate you.....
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 145
This is the final straw.

I swear, I will visit garage sales from now on. $25 for HP2 is just insane. I think I need some water.

And, oh yeah, OP:

CONGRATU-FRIGGIN-LATIONS!

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 145
you have no idea what you have there.  They are not just good sounding headphones, they are truly special and one of a kind and command a high price because nothing else captures that sound.  Only 1000 were made.

They were designed to sound a certain way, and be true to the recording, so you should get the pads they were designed with.  This is the only place to get them.  http://www.ttvjaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54
you are going to laugh at paying 35 dollars for them, which is more than you paid for the headphones, but it's really worth it trust me.  If you don't like how these phones sound, you could easily sell them and get something else with moar bass or something.  But it seems like they were meant for you, so you should at least give them a chance. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #23 of 145
You know, I have several family members who regularly attend garage sales in order to find stuff cheap and flip them for a small profit. I think the most anyone ever made was a few hundred dollars on one item, but this is truly unreal. It's almost inconceivable that anyone "into" headphones enough to buy a pair of HP2s would somehow allow them to be sold at a garage sale for $25. My only hope is that they weren't stolen, but I can't imagine that either because most anyone who had a pair stolen would be posting about it on Head-Fi or somewhere...

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 145
Quote:
you have no idea what you have there.  They are not just good sounding headphones, they are truly special and one of a kind and command a high price because nothing else captures that sound.  Only 1000 were made.

They were designed to sound a certain way, and be true to the recording, so you should get the pads they were designed with.  This is the only place to get them.  http://www.ttvjaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54
you are going to laugh at paying 35 dollars for them, which is more than you paid for the headphones, but it's really worth it trust me.  If you don't like how these phones sound, you could easily sell them and get something else with moar bass or something.  But it seems like they were meant for you, so you should at least give them a chance. 

Yep Flats are the way to go just as Grado intended.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #28 of 145
Well this is one hell of a way to end your weekend- find out that cool looking headphone you bought at a garage sale for $25 is actually a $1400 legend.

Anyway, as long as the headphones are working well, I'm sure you will be blown away to eargasmic proportions as soon as you hit the play button

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #30 of 145
Quote:
I'd definitely be willing to invest some more into these things at this point. O_O 
Are those good cushions for them?

I've been browsing the trade forum for a few weeks and love the wooden looking ones, where do you buy those?
smile_phones.gif

Do not have those woodied.  There aren't too many of these left and it'd be like tearing down a historic building to build a strip mall.  Further, you'd probably have a difficult time selling them because people prefer these in their original form.  Moreover, these are damned good headphones stock.  If you monkey with them, you won't improve the sound.  It would just be a cosmetic change and they would sound worse.

If you want a woody Grado, buy a RS-2 or RS-1.  They're quite good as well and you won't have to destroy a classic to make it into something it was never intended to be.

I've gotten lucky with a few things, as well.  Not so much with headphones, but I picked up an old radio (another hobby) for $50 that turned out to be quite rare and valuable.  I had originally planned to just get it working, but I'm planning a careful, thorough restoration that will preserve its value.  Similarly, I found an old electric fan (yet another hobby
smily_headphones1.gif
) in a barn for $10.  I knew it was super-rare and valuable, but gave the guy $10 because that was the price he had written on it.  It was in bad shape and it took me something like three years to find all the parts needed for restoration.  But it is going back to 100% original condition.

When you get something rare and valuable, don't screw with it.  If they aren't exactly what you want, think about selling or trading them for what you want and put them in the hands of someone who will appreciate them as they are.

You can find the appropriate flat pads at www.ttvj.com as well as the rest of the Grado lineup.

Get the pads and give these a listen - they're excellent headphones.  I absolutely love my pair!  If you need some advice on amplifying them, head over to the Amplifier Forum - you'll find a number of threads and plenty of advice.

Congrats on the great find! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back