headphone for jazz/hiphop? What is best?
Mar 23, 2021 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RadicalKendrick

New Head-Fier
Hey all, my old headphones gave up on me after 3 good years and I would like to upgrade! My budget is max 200-250 and like I described in the title I would like the headphones to be suited for jazz/hiphop/lofi. I have a simple FiiO olympus 2 DAC/AMP already so I hope this will be good enough? I don't mind the looks as I'll be wearing them inside at all times. However comfort has to be good because I'll be wearing them for long periods of time! This is what I found through research thus far:

- DT770 pro (80 ohm i think is best?)
- DT990 pro (80 ohm i think is best?)
- Sennheiser HD 560s
- Sennheiser HD58x
- grado SR80e
- grado SR325e
- hifiman HE400i

If u have any other recommandations or tips please do share! Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 21
Hey all, my old headphones gave up on me after 3 good years and I would like to upgrade! My budget is max 200-250 and like I described in the title I would like the headphones to be suited for jazz/hiphop/lofi. I have a simple FiiO olympus 2 DAC/AMP already so I hope this will be good enough? I don't mind the looks as I'll be wearing them inside at all times. However comfort has to be good because I'll be wearing them for long periods of time! This is what I found through research thus far:

- DT770 pro (80 ohm i think is best?)
- DT990 pro (80 ohm i think is best?)
- Sennheiser HD 560s
- Sennheiser HD58x
- grado SR80e
- grado SR325e
- hifiman HE400i

If u have any other recommandations or tips please do share! Thanks!
I don't recommend DT770 and DT990 for jazz/bass heavy hiphops. They are on very cool side of tune, which I believe, it not a tune that matches with jazz or hiphop.

I would pick Hifiman HE400i among that list, simply due to the planer driver. Planer drivers produce very realistic sounds compared to other hall-of-fame legacy headphones.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 21
SR325E for jazz
DT 770 250ohm for hip hop

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 21
Philips Fidelio X2HR would be on my short list at that price point. Might be able to find the Hifiman Sundara at or just over budget if willing to buy used.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 21
SR325E for jazz
DT 770 250ohm for hip hop
+1 on the Grado. Either get a 225 and mod the cr*p out of it, or just get the 325 and have done with it. Either are made for jazz (esp anything recorded by Rudy van Gelder).

D61F103F-76C6-4020-B331-A3635561AE5D.jpeg

This was once a 225i...

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 21
This is the first time I have seen people suggest Grados are good (great?) for jazz. Usually people say Grados are for classic rock.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 21
Jazz is a broad church. Woody / woodied Grados are very good on classic 50s and 60s small group modern jazz / hard bop. Try anything on Blue Note or Riverside.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 21
Jazz is a broad church. Woody / woodied Grados are very good on classic 50s and 60s small group modern jazz / hard bop. Try anything on Blue Note or Riverside.
Your definition of jazz seems pretty close to mine. I generally don't listen to anything recorded after the mid 1970s.

But this just makes it worse. I was thinking about going Hemp or White, and now you guys are looking to cost me money again :D

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 21
I don't recommend DT770 and DT990 for jazz/bass heavy hiphops. They are on very cool side of tune, which I believe, it not a tune that matches with jazz or hiphop.

I would pick Hifiman HE400i among that list, simply due to the planer driver. Planer drivers produce very realistic sounds compared to other hall-of-fame legacy headphones.
I don't want to highjack thread, I am looking for headphone that WILL play good hip-hop/rap music that I can add to my AKG 701. Akg plays great the non heavy bass music but 😢 in the heavy bass music. Any recommendations? I have the use of audio Technica athletic M45 which has more bass but sucks in the highs and mids section. So good deep bass and acceptable mids and highs cans?

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 21
I don't want to highjack thread, I am looking for headphone that WILL play good hip-hop/rap music that I can add to my AKG 701. Akg plays great the non heavy bass music but 😢 in the heavy bass music. Any recommendations? I have the use of audio Technica athletic M45 which has more bass but sucks in the highs and mids section. So good deep bass and acceptable mids and highs cans?
I'm pretty happy with CFA Cascade for bass-heavy music like rap & hip-hop. Basshead's dream really. Some folks think stock Cascade is a bit too much, you can tame it a bit with the cloth or XL pads, or a cable upgrade.

LCD-2C is a closer-to-neutral alternative that still has excellent bass.

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 21
I'm pretty happy with CFA Cascade for bass-heavy music like rap & hip-hop. Basshead's dream really. Some folks think stock Cascade is a bit too much, you can tame it a bit with the cloth or XL pads, or a cable upgrade.

LCD-2C is a closer-to-neutral alternative that still has excellent bass.
Their budget is $250... Not $600-900.

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 21
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 21

Denon AH-D7200, or 9200 if you have the budget for them. I'll second the LCD-X recommendation, too. AKG 701 certainly aren't known for their bass so your don't need to go heavy that way, I suspect.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 21
Denon AH-D7200, or 9200 if you have the budget for them. I'll second the LCD-X recommendation, too. AKG 701 certainly aren't known for their bass so your don't need to go heavy that way, I suspect.
Thanks. First, I'm happy to know that bass heavy/heavier high end headphones exist. I was under the impression all high end are detail oriented & light bass.
Secondly, all those cans are out of budgets. Any recommendations in the $200 range? Maybe a bit more if it's a must have since the stimulus might kick in😂
I do have a class A amplifier * rated at close to 1500mV*

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Thanks. First, I'm happy to know that bass heavy/heavier high end headphones exist. I was under the impression all high end are detail oriented & light bass.
Secondly, all those cans are out of budgets. Any recommendations in the $200 range? Maybe a bit more if it's a must have since the stimulus might kick in😂
Under $200 the Philips Fidelio X2HR are among the best you'll find. If you see the X3 on sale at budget go for it, as it's an improvement, but not night and day. The next step up (in my experience) is going to run you ~$500 used, ~$1000 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back