Headphone Finder Challenge!!!
Sep 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

bigdaddyp16

New Head-Fier
Does the perfect set of headphones for me exist?  If so, I haven't seen them......yet.  Anyone up to the challenge of finding a pair that meets this description:

- on-ear/earpad
- GREAT bass (quantity & quality; deep, tight, hard-hitting)
- good isolation (closed)
- decent soundstage (doesn't sound like music is coming from a long, narrow tube)
- good sound quality (decent amount of details heard)
- not-so-harsh highs (fatigue)
- single-sided cable
- right "L" angled adapter
- easily driven unamped by portable mp3 player
- can be found for less than $200 in great-to-new condition without worrying about being fakes

Right now I have a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Golds.  I like them, but I would be in love if they were on-ear instead of IEM's, and if they had more bass quantity.  What do you think?

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 32
Wow....22 views and no responses.  Maybe they don't exist?

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 32
Sennheiser PMX-100 II's or HD 238's on the low-end, or their HD 25 getting up there. Maybe try for a vintage Ortho?

It's not featured on head-fi much, but you could try out the Phiaton PS 320. If you find a place with a good return policy, you could give it a try. If you don't like it, you can still give a review on head-fi, and help others out.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 32
Yeah, I know.  That's why I kind of set up the question like that, as "perfect," when I have so many requirements.  As for IEM's, I already have the golds and they aren't bad at all, I just would greatly prefer on-ear 'phones.  So that's what my next purchase will definitely be.  I guess I should've listed my preferences according to priority:

1)  closed on-ear (definitely not IEM's)
2)  Great bass quantity, good quality
3)  easily driven by unamped mp3 player
4)  < $200 street price/sale
5)  decent soundstage (doesn't sound like music is coming from long, narrow tube)
6)  good sound quality  (not audiophile, but decent detail/clarity)

I guess I don't have to included "good isolation" since they should be good enough being fully closed.  Don't need to specify "not-so-harsh highs" since they're bass heavy.  And the single-sided cord with right angle adapter is preference and shouldn't be required, but would still be nice. 

I've been recommended the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's, but I've heard they can be difficult to push unamped on a portable.  Also I'm guessing they don't have enough bass. 

I tried the Monster Beats Solo HD's, and I wanted to love them because they were very comfortable, isolated great, and had the cable I liked, but the sound was awful.  No bass and sounded like the music was coming through a thin, 10 ft pole or something.  So I figured the regular Solo's were the same way.  Anyone know if that's the case or if the one's I tried maybe were faulty?

Also, the AKG K 450's look interesting. 

Any thoughts?

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 32
Those seem to be full-size, over-the-ears.  I would greatly prefer on-the-ears since they're generally more portable/less bulky, more comfortable over long periods (heat), and are easier to push on an unamped portable.  But those do look really nice. 

Quote:
Shure 750DJ?

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 32

Those 1st 2 seem to be open 'phones.  Although the HD 228's are closed and seem similar.  Not sure how the bass is on them, though.  Harder-hitting than my Golds?  And I haven't looked into the Phiaton's.  I'll have to read up on them. 
Quote:
Sennheiser PMX-100 II's or HD 238's on the low-end, or their HD 25 getting up there. Maybe try for a vintage Ortho?

It's not featured on head-fi much, but you could try out the Phiaton PS 320. If you find a place with a good return policy, you could give it a try. If you don't like it, you can still give a review on head-fi, and help others out.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 32
Scratch the Phiaton's.  Read a couple reviews and both mentioned a con of having weak bass. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 32
HD228 bass is just right, its plenty but dont quite have the punch of the golds.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 32

I'm actually looking for more punch than the Golds.  I guess it's safe to say I'm pretty much a bass head.  I didn't really have enough experience in headphones to know this until recently.  I blame my broken JBL Reference 410's.  I adored the bass they put out.  Lot's of quantity, but the sound quality was sub-par.  The Golds have better bass quality, though.  Still, my next 'phone purchase must be on-ear AND have more bass quantity than the Golds. 
Quote:
HD228 bass is just right, its plenty but dont quite have the punch of the golds.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Those seem to be full-size, over-the-ears.  I would greatly prefer on-the-ears since they're generally more portable/less bulky, more comfortable over long periods (heat), and are easier to push on an unamped portable.  But those do look really nice. 

The shure 750DJ is not a fullsize headphone, they're not much bigger than the akg k450, sit on your ear and have a lot of bass
Not sure about comfortable though

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 32
These?

They look big and are labeled as full-size. 
Quote:

The shure 750DJ is not a fullsize headphone, they're not much bigger than the akg k450, sit on your ear and have a lot of bass
Not sure about comfortable though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back