Headphone Equivalent of Sennheiser IE6
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sandaz93

Head-Fier
I currently own the Sennheiser IE6s and love them. I am looking for a pair of headphones that are of similar or better quality. Preferably Sennheiser and within the 100 range. I was looking at the HD280s but I am not sure if they are of the same quality.

Thanks and Best Regards

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm not a big fan of sennheiser headphones sound signature, but ive heard good things about the 595's, 598's, and 650's. 

I guess it all just depends what you are looking for in a headphone. What qualities do you look for in a sound signature? Do you consider yourself a "fun" listener or more of a critical analytical listener? Sennheiser headphones are very analytical and precise with broad sound stage and imaging from what I hear, but to people coming from a colored earphone they may sound a bit "dull". 

I personally prefer sound signatures from the beyerdynamic and denon lines, since i enjoy a sound signature that is very up front and in my face and engaging with plenty of bass and crisp highs, good for watching movies. DT880's would be a fantastic upgrade given that you could amp them. I also am very near buying a pair of Denon's, since i finally got the blessing to try them on and they are FANTASTIC for a closed back. I bet a d2000 would be a nice equivelent to the beyers.

However if your more into that analytical sound then i would try and pick up a pair of the k701's. I have heard they have wonderful clarity and sound stage for the price without the "dullness" of the senns.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 6

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I ordered the Senn HD 598 about a week ago, so it should be coming today
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of sennheiser headphones sound signature, but ive heard good things about the 595's, 598's, and 650's. 

I guess it all just depends what you are looking for in a headphone. What qualities do you look for in a sound signature? Do you consider yourself a "fun" listener or more of a critical analytical listener? Sennheiser headphones are very analytical and precise with broad sound stage and imaging from what I hear, but to people coming from a colored earphone they may sound a bit "dull". 

I personally prefer sound signatures from the beyerdynamic and denon lines, since i enjoy a sound signature that is very up front and in my face and engaging with plenty of bass and crisp highs, good for watching movies. DT880's would be a fantastic upgrade given that you could amp them. I also am very near buying a pair of Denon's, since i finally got the blessing to try them on and they are FANTASTIC for a closed back. I bet a d2000 would be a nice equivelent to the beyers.

However if your more into that analytical sound then i would try and pick up a pair of the k701's. I have heard they have wonderful clarity and sound stage for the price without the "dullness" of the senns.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I was looking at the HD280s but I am not sure if they are of the same quality.

They are totally not. Sennheiser did a huge step with the IE series  inEars, but their headphones just can't compete. I love my IE6 and they did a hell of a job for me, since there is no other earphone of such strong build on the market. They loose shine and optics rather quickly in daily use when you go rough on them, but they are build to last forever. And they have the ability to suit for a huge variety of musical genres.

Sennheiser headphones on the other hand are cheopos. The reason why I wouldn't buy them is simple: I like a product I spend a lot of money on to last for a certain time. Few months should be minimum. Not with Senn though: beware of sleeping with those cans. They just break.

They should sell their drivers as parts, compatible to housings of manufacturers, who actually know how to design headphones for actual use. Point is: Beyerdynamics DT 990, 990 pro, 880, 880 pro, 770 pro are headphones worth the money. For the sound and for design and build quality. If you pay US prices of these manufacturers, Beyer should be your choice. They design and produce in Germany, yes they look oldschool, but given that you just spent your last money in premium sound and given (can't think of it, they are like tanks) a beyer breaks: You can call the customer service and get almost every single part of a (before mentioned) Beyer as a replacement part. Repairing a Beyer is like putting together a beginner's Lego kit.

The 598s are good sounding headphones, nothing wrong with the sound sig, they sound clean, linear, but have a little more punch compared to 650s. 650s are excellent, and lovers of classics, jazz and accoustic recordings swear on them. They are right, I think, but same goes for DT 880. Difference is the build quality. There is no point in comparing Senn to Beyerdynamics in this aspect.

But Vonx already gave you the real hints: Your ear should decide first and find out wether to fall for closed or open cans. Then find out the differences: boomy sound sig or recessed, laid back and natural. E.g. for long listening sessions an open can could be much more comfy (air circulation, feeling of pressure), also the sounding is more airy, open. Bitter pill is you wouldn't eliminate much background noise with those. Closed cans sound narrower, they don't deliver the feeling of room for the sound to enfold, compared to open cans, but you can listen in louder environments on a lower volume level. The louder you play the more you hear the difference between closed and open (like DT 770 pro compared to 990 pro) ...

I use the following:
Sennheiser IE6 for daily use on the bike, at work and to fall asleep when not at home.
Canton GLE 100 (from 1979 but in mint condition) at home (big closed speakers, for phones I prefer open).
Beyerdynamics DT990pro at home for watching movies, at night for music, to fall asleep with music

DT990pro are very clear sounding but a little punchy, they are capable of massive bass but the trebles can be too much sometimes when you switch from IE6. I'm whining on a very high level though, it's really a small nuance, mention it just to be picky.

DT880 are more recessed, like Sennheiser HD 650, which is cleaner, but lacks emotion for some music or if you are not an analytical listener.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back