headphone dilemma
Dec 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

draacor

New Head-Fier
I loved hearing the grado sr80s a friend of mine had.  I thought the sound was amazing.  However my wife doesnt like them because she can hear them. So i ended up buying the AKG K271 MKII with a FiiO E07K amp.  Its on the way from amazon but then i got to thinking.  Basically what I use them for is soundtracks, movies, TV, and video games.  Would i be better served to get both the M50s and the Grado SR80s without an amp? Or stick with the AKG K271 MKII with amp?  It would be nice to have the grados for say video games and stuff where my wife wouldnt care if she heard them, then use the M50s for when im in bed watching movies and tv.  Or do you think the AKGs with an amp will suite my needs?

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I loved hearing the grado sr80s a friend of mine had.  I thought the sound was amazing.  However my wife doesnt like them because she can hear them. So i ended up buying the AKG K271 MKII with a FiiO E07K amp.  Its on the way from amazon but then i got to thinking.  Basically what I use them for is soundtracks, movies, TV, and video games.  Would i be better served to get both the M50s and the Grado SR80s without an amp? Or stick with the AKG K271 MKII with amp?  It would be nice to have the grados for say video games and stuff where my wife wouldnt care if she heard them, then use the M50s for when im in bed watching movies and tv.  Or do you think the AKGs with an amp will suite my needs?

Heya,

I would suggest you keep the AKG K271 MKII. It's a fantastic headphone and covers everything you need.

If you want to change it up, maybe consider a return and get yourself the AKG K167 instead.

And if you love Grado sound, nothing will compare, so get a Grado SR60i for yourself later on anyways!

Very best,

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
what if i got the akg and the grados and just skipped on the amp for now?  Or is that basically a no no.

Heya,

Considering none of your selected headphones actually need an amp at all, that would be a good plan.

Unfortunately this website will have you think everything that renders audio needs some kind of additional amplification, and it's simply not true.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back