Headphone Dilemma - Music/Gaming, Need Some Help
Oct 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 23
I found a pair of DT880s (600) for about $75 more than the SHr840s. How much better would the 880s be for my uses? Also, the phones are quite a bit more expensive than I'd originally planned to spend, but I may be able to swing it. Problem is, I know those ones are difficult to drive. Any recommendations on an inexpensive amp (to be paired with sound card) if I do go the 880 route?

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 23
Sony MRD-v6 man, i would have those right now, but i was sent fakes and said screw it I'm getting a sennheiser pair, but i have used them before, perfect suited for your listening style, I'm into the same music and i herd a couple metal and hardstyle songs with them on, they sounded great un-amped and even through an PSP.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
I found a pair of DT880s (600) for about $75 more than the SHr840s. How much better would the 880s be for my uses? Also, the phones are quite a bit more expensive than I'd originally planned to spend, but I may be able to swing it. Problem is, I know those ones are difficult to drive. Any recommendations on an inexpensive amp (to be paired with sound card) if I do go the 880 route?

My DT990/600 will be here in a few days, and I plan on mainly using it with my Mixamp for gaming (for now), and the Fiio E7 on my netbook (temporarily until the Fiio E9 desktop amp is released). I will let you know how the E7 fares powering the DT990. It's obviously not ideal, but people said the same about it powering K701 and I found it to be fine for now. I know the E9 should be decent with them, and if it's fine with the 600ohm 990, it should be fine for the 880 as well.

Though if you go with the 880, you definitely know sooner or later you should invest on an amp capable of driving them good enough for your tastes. I hope the E9 does this, as it's it's $20 for the E7 + E9 combo, and probably gonna be around $130 for the E9 by itself.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #19 of 23
AD700s showed up today, and basically made the decision that much harder. I've only been listening for 20 minutes and have to leave really soon, so I'm not totally decided on which sound I prefer. I think I actually like the open AD700s, but I also love the balance and more powerful (but not overwhelming) bass of the SHR840s.

However, main thing is comfort. Wearing these AD700s is a dream after using the SHR840s for the past week. The clamping is very uncomfortable. Not so much while listening (though I feel it), but my head and ears are always a little sore after an extended listening period. I think if comfort was equal, I'd keep the Shures for sure. Right now though, the great feel of the AD700 is making me seriously doubt whether or not I want to deal with the feel of the 840s in the long-term. I'd love to find a balance lol, something that's closer to the AD700 in comfort but closer to the SHR840 in sound. 

I'll do some more listening when I get home tonight, but I think both pairs may have to go back unless either the AD700s surprise me in sound, or the SHR840s break in (comfort) over night
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 23
The k240 has a similar sound signature to the SRH-840 and is just as comfortable as the AD700. You know how the AD700 feels very light on the head and almost loose for some people? The k240 has a similar feeling on the head, but a more secure feel. There is NO clamping force at all for me.

I saw your post about the k701. Whatever you do, don't get that without a full size amp. It's even harder to drive then the HD-600 and that's 300 ohm! So far I haven't found a portable amp that can power the k701 well. I don't think any of them can. The k701 also has far less bass then the SRH-840 and that's one thing I disliked about the k701, but it's still a good headphone. They do have more bass when they have enough power.

Quote:
 I'd love to find a balance lol, something that's closer to the AD700 in comfort but closer to the SHR840 in sound.   
I'll do some more listening when I get home tonight, but I think both pairs may have to go back unless either the AD700s surprise me in sound, or the SHR840s break in (comfort) over night
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 23
Yes, the K240s are very comfortable and light, I have a pair of K 240 Studio at the office which I would wear all day sometimes, without any dis-comfort afterwards.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 23
Im telling you man, the sony MDR-v6 aare total rocker headphones that have the profile for harstyle, and are great for movies and games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back