headphone confusion....help a newbie out!
Nov 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zombie medic

Head-Fier
hey everyone. for the last couple of days i have been searching for a $200ish headphone upgrade from my old mdr-v6's. with the help of MalveauX suggestions i found two headphones that i might get. They are the AudioTechnica A900X and the Beyer DT770 PRO. Iv heard very good things about both but i have no idea which one i should get. Also mind that I'm  going to use unamped sources for the headphones (well unamped as in no external amp like fiio). my music preferences are rock,electronica,emo,screamo,dubstep and heavymetal. thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
hey everyone. for the last couple of days i have been searching for a $200ish headphone upgrade from my old mdr-v6's. with the help of MalveauX suggestions i found two headphones that i might get. They are the AudioTechnica A900X and the Beyer DT770 PRO. Iv heard very good things about both but i have no idea which one i should get. Also mind that I'm  going to use unamped sources for the headphones (well unamped as in no external amp like fiio). my music preferences are rock,electronica,emo,screamo,dubstep and heavymetal. thanks in advance!

If this is for a portable audio player, then the ATH-A900X, I think DT770 Pro do better amped.
Currently listening to Takin'a Ride with my O2 amp. and the ATH-A900X.
Now listening to Sammy H.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 6
If I may, I would suggest something different since those actually both kind of need an amp. Not so much the Technicas, but DEFINITELY the DT770s. I would suggest you try out the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. I say this for a number of reasons. First, they are portable and have a low impedance, which means you can drive them using a phone/iPod/iPad/iWhatevertheycallit. Secondly, since you like a wide variety of music, the Custom One Pros are good because they have ports on them that you can open/close which means *ding ding ding!* the frequency response is changeable, which means that they are good for a wide variety of genres. For example, you want to listen to dubstep and really hear that bass? Just close the ports and you will feel that bass kick your head. Do you want a more flat response to give you a more analytical and balanced signature? Open them up. I would highly recommend them. And also, they look a lot better than Beats (IMO). You can change the faceplates of the speakers which is really cool.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
If I may, I would suggest something different since those actually both kind of need an amp. Not so much the Technicas, but DEFINITELY the DT770s. I would suggest you try out the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. I say this for a number of reasons. First, they are portable and have a low impedance, which means you can drive them using a phone/iPod/iPad/iWhatevertheycallit. Secondly, since you like a wide variety of music, the Custom One Pros are good because they have ports on them that you can open/close which means *ding ding ding!* the frequency response is changeable, which means that they are good for a wide variety of genres. For example, you want to listen to dubstep and really hear that bass? Just close the ports and you will feel that bass kick your head. Do you want a more flat response to give you a more analytical and balanced signature? Open them up. I would highly recommend them. And also, they look a lot better than Beats (IMO). You can change the faceplates of the speakers which is really cool.

Heard they are fairly light weight?

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 6
I never heard the A900x series but I have owned the DT 770 (250 ohm version). It has good bass, nice mids and treble might be too sharp for some people but it needs a little bit of amping, so I suggest getting the 80 ohm version (more bassy) if you want to get the DT 770 and don't want to hassle over an additional component.

As for comfort, I think the DT 770 is a comfortable headphone (due to the popular Beyer velour pads) but from what I've heard, the A900 (not with an x) is the comfort king so you might want to look into that one also.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Heard they are fairly light weight?

Yeah they are pretty light. I mean really, they are probably THE best headphones in their price range. Of course it really matters what you want out of your headphones, but the Custom Ones are really probably the most versatile headphones I've ever seen, disregarding the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back