Headphone Cables
Dec 22, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #16 of 32
I think there is a different, just like with power cords.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 32
I say if you think cables make a difference AND you claim you can hear a difference between 320kbps and FLAC with your system, you should test out the second claim using the ABX Comparator, find out you can't tell a difference even between 192kbps VBR and FLAC, then conclude that all your audio thoughts are invalid
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say if you think cables make a difference AND you claim you can hear a difference between 320kbps and FLAC with your system, you should test out the second claim using the ABX Comparator, find out you can't tell a difference even between 192kbps VBR and FLAC, then conclude that all your audio thoughts are invalid
biggrin.gif

That's a good idea. Wish more people did that instead of saying things that aren't true. This forum is like placebo-fi, everyone thinks they hear things that aren't there, it's amusing.

It does drive business so I guess it's not all bad.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 32
I have made several Senn cables and power cables. To me different wire sounds different. Plugs sound different in my cables. Longer is better to get a different sound. To me a 10 ft Senn cable will sound better than a 4 foot Senn cable. Silver Plated Copper sounds different than Copper. 24 AWG sounds different than 19 AWG. Canare 1/4 plugs sound different the a Furutech plug. To me the trick is to find what sounds great to me without spending a boatload of cash finding out what I like with my gear. Oh yeah, with power cables I like 14 AWG better than 10 AWG. The 10 AWG sounds a little slow to me on my gear. 12 AWG is OK with the cables I have been using. Then you got the metel used in the plugs. Some prefer Gold for Solid state gear and some like Silver for tube gear. Then you have Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium thrown in the mix.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the plug makes difference ... because they're selling cryo-ed plug
tongue.gif

Oh yeah, dope. Aight morfocka.

biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 32
Hello Everyone, I hope everyone is doing well. I just purchased a pair of Focal Utopia headphones and while the stock cable sounds great, I was looking for a balanced 4-pin XLR connector for use with my Yggdrasil Analog 2 and Mjolnir 2. After spending that kind of money on the Utopia, I didn't want to spend $1000+ on a headphone cable. I did some searching a found this cable here: https://corpsecable.com/collections...r-cable-for-focal-utopia-headphones-4-pin-xlr

so I decided to purchase it, however it has not arrived yet. Does anyone have any experience with this cable with the Utopias or have ever used Gravedigger Corpse cables (Cardas) with other headphones? Are they any good? Do you think I made a good decision for the price?

From their website (at the link above)

"...Neutrik XLR 4-pin gold plug are wedded to Litz 4x24 wiring featuring shielded enameled copper conductors employing the Cardas Golden Ratio construction."

"...the Corpse Cable GraveDigger Cardas balanced 4-pin XLR headphone cable is an amazing partner for your Focal Utopia headphones and balanced headphone amp."

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any input you can offer. Thank you!!

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #22 of 32
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 32
If you like it as a fashion accessory, then it's fine. But I doubt it will have any impact on sound quality at all. The stock cable is all you really need for that.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #25 of 32
If you like it as a fashion accessory, then it's fine. But I doubt it will have any impact on sound quality at all. The stock cable is all you really need for that.

Thank you for the reply. Do you happen to have any 4-pin XLR cables for the Utopia that you would recommend? Again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 32
I'd suggest using whatever is cheapest. Can you use a regular plug instead of XLR?

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #27 of 32
I'd suggest using whatever is cheapest. Can you use a regular plug instead of XLR?

Yes, the Mjolnir 2 has a 1/4" headphone connector as well as a balanced headphone 4-pin XLR connector. Right now I have been using the stock cable that came with the Utopia (1/4").

Besides higher output from a balanced XLR headphone out on the amp, is there any benefit of purchasing a good XLR 4-pin balanced cable when my DAC and Amp are in balanced configuration? Do you think I will lose sound quality with the Corpse Cardas Gravedigger cable (balanced) over the stock Utopia 1/4" cable?

I apologize for all of the questions, and I sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply, you have been very helpful.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #28 of 32
running after the various cable standards can really become a massive pain in the wallet. if you go for something specific and plan to stick to it for a long time, then it's all good. but if you're unsure about when you'll get another amp or get bored of your headphone, then I would suggest to stick to good old jack, or to get everything in a specific and consistent balanced standard, then get the various short adapter cables to handle any amp section that life will throw at you. I say to use balanced as your default standard because going from balanced cable to single ended plugs is trivial, while you can't use a single ended cable into a balanced amp, no matter what adapter you have. but of course the less expensive option is typically to just stick to single ended everything.
in short if you're going to purchase extra cables just for some plugs, try to plan ahead or you'll probably end up regretting wasting a lot of money of ephemeral wire needs. if you know yourself and this is only a curiosity itch that will not go beyond that try, then just go ahead and don't worry about anything else. :wink:

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #29 of 32
Apr 6, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 32
Just use a standard cable and plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back