headphone burn in
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
While I do believe burn in is real; I also believe changes in sound (if any) are marginal.

If you don't like a set of headphones out of the box, chances are you aren't going to like them 500 hours later either.

Just don't expect miracles.

This isn't necessarily true !!  I didn't like the HF2's out of the box.  In fact, I started a thread here asking who else didn't like them, when up until that point I had only really seen good things said about them.

But after burn in, a few days later "just listening to them", they settled down to be a quite nice headphone.

The point being, burn in is real, and if you don't like a set of headphones, don't immediatelty dismiss them.  Give them time to burn in before you move on to something else.  Whether it's "just listening" to them, or specifically burning them in.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
I never said it can't happen, but if you want to like something enough then you will.

In any case I'm glad you like your HF-2's.

You're turning it into a psychological thing, and it isn't.  I listen to 4 or 5 different pairs of headphones a week, easily.  So during the process of burn in, I am constantly comparing the sound of the new headphones to other known examples where their sound quality is not changing.  If they didn't change their tonality in a fundemental way, I would have sold them.  But they did.

And in fact, I didn't want to like the HF2's.  I was perfectly satisfied with the MS2i's I had at that point.  I still love those.  Now, I just like the HF2's more.

I mentioned the one CD where out of the box, I had to EQ the bass down by 5 dB.  After burn in with the same amp/DAC combo, it was -1 dB.  Try that with any headphone you own, a 4dB change at both 62 and 125 Hz.  That is a fundemental change in sound quality due to burn in.

Similarly with the AKG K240 Mk II (Studio) I have.  See my signature, I didn't like these so much so out of the box that I updated my sig to say that they were "gone".  Then I read that they can change due to burn in, and they did.  So much that they now rival the MP Sextett pair I have.

Just because you or anyone else personally hasn't come across a headphone that changed dramatically during burn in, doesn't make that the case for all headphones for all people.

Be a little open minded. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
I was planning to test the theory of "burn-in" in each of these headphones. I just wanted to know the potential of burn-in in transforming Ok, bad and good headphones into decent travel studio reference headphones. 

That's a bit like trying to get a KIA to perform like a Ferrari by putting it in neutral and leaving a brick on the accelerator pedal. A complete waste of time.

I'm sure burn-in isn't completely fictional, but subjecting your brand new phones to hours and hours of pink noise is just ridiculous to my mind. You're probably just as likely to damage them. I'm sure you can find plenty of charlatans on this web forum who have managed to delude themselves otherwise, but I'm convinced that if you don't like sound of what you have just bought the best thing to do is to send it back/sell it on and then get something else.

Anyway, new Grados now come with this disclaimer: "As any mechanical device, the headphones will improve in performance with use. We firmly recommend not allowing the headphones to play continuously for extended periods of time. We strongly suggest letting the headphones break in natually with normal use." 

The question is then, who are you going to believe, one of the world's most famous headphone manufacturers or some windbag on the internet?

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 31

while I understand your point...you obviously don't know much about automotive.  Engines do require break ins.  Parts do need to seal and whatnot the first time they heat up etc...
Quote:
Quote:
I was planning to test the theory of "burn-in" in each of these headphones. I just wanted to know the potential of burn-in in transforming Ok, bad and good headphones into decent travel studio reference headphones. 

That's a bit like trying to get a KIA to perform like a Ferrari by putting it in neutral and leaving a brick on the accelerator pedal. A complete waste of time.

I'm sure burn-in isn't completely fictional, but subjecting your brand new phones to hours and hours of pink noise is just ridiculous to my mind. You're probably just as likely to damage them. I'm sure you can find plenty of charlatans on this web forum who have managed to delude themselves otherwise, but I'm convinced that if you don't like sound of what you have just bought the best thing to do is to send it back/sell it on and then get something else.

Anyway, new Grados now come with this disclaimer: "As any mechanical device, the headphones will improve in performance with use. We firmly recommend not allowing the headphones to play continuously for extended periods of time. We strongly suggest letting the headphones break in natually with normal use." 

The question is then, who are you going to believe, one of the world's most famous headphone manufacturers or some windbag on the internet?

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
while I understand your point...you obviously don't know much about automotive.  Engines do require break ins.  Parts do need to seal and whatnot the first time they heat up etc...

But that's my point, I'm not objecting to the idea that things need some wearing in. After all, when you buy a new car you generally go easy on it for the first few thousand kms or so, especially with high performance engines. But you don't subject it for hour upon hour to the kind of stresses it isn't designed for in an effort to turn it into something better. That would be plain stupid.
Just like blasting pink noise through brand new phones is stupid. And just like thinking you can turn cheap rubbish headphones into good ones by "burning in" is stupid.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 31

Okay gotcha!  We're in agreement then!

Just use the headphones like you'd intend to use them and over time they'll "break in".  Nothing fancy required. 
Quote:
Quote:

But that's my point, I'm not objecting to the idea that things need some wearing in. After all, when you buy a new car you generally go easy on it for the first few thousand kms or so, especially with high performance engines. But you don't subject it for hour upon hour to the kind of stresses it isn't designed for in an effort to turn it into something better. That would be plain stupid.
Just like blasting pink noise through brand new phones is stupid. And just like thinking you can turn cheap rubbish headphones into good ones by "burning in" is stupid.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
Kevin Brown said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif  
And in fact, I didn't want to like the HF2's.  I was perfectly satisfied with the MS2i's I had at that point.

Then why did you buy them...

Quote:
Quote:
I never said it can't happen, but if you want to like something enough then you will.

In any case I'm glad you like your HF-2's.

You're turning it into a psychological thing, and it isn't...

...Be a little open minded. 
smile_phones.gif

I never argued, and never said burn isn't real; in fact I said it is indeed real. I'm just saying there is a psycological side to it as well; not dismissing the fact there there are, or at least can be physical changes to the drivers that affect sound.

You don't have to prove, or convince me of anything.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
just do what i did. i sat back and listened to my music until they broke in. i didnt do the white noise method because i thought it was pointless. i would rather just listen to my music.

I agree
beyersmile.png

I got some new HFI 580s for Christmas, and I just made a 50 hour playlist that represented all the types of music I listen to. It'll be more or less burned in by the time I get through it. Now and then I'll take the phones off and let it play on its own but I mostly just enjoy hearing 'em play. And it's cool to hear the speakers loosen up a bit. The first thing I played was Death From Above 1979, a bass and drum two piece band. At first, the bass, both lower and upper, seemed to be lacking. Now, after approx. 35 hours of casual listening, it already sounds much more full, yet precise. And, as they burn in, the music seems to gain more of a three dimensional, not-just-the-inside-of-your-head feel. Soundstage, I think you guys call it? Hahaha sorry for being such a noob :p

But just have fun! Listen to 'em!

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #28 of 31
Jan 11, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #29 of 31
With my Beyers T50's I definitely heard a difference between stock and 100 hours burn in. I didn't listen in between because I didn't want myself to get accustomed to the sound (when talking about this 'psychological effect' I guess it's mostly about the effect of getting accustomed to the sound of a new headphone and then to mistaken it from burn in affects)

With the Grado's sr225, I believe the sound didn't change, but it was my getting accustomed in the beautiful things this <200 usd cans do. It really grew on me.

Anyway, HF-2's at the post office, getting them today, we'll see about that stock sound with my pair.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #30 of 31
Just let your brain burn-in and leave the rest to the audiophile gods and high voodoo priests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back