Headphone Burn In, how loud?
Jul 15, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
There is no such thing as Mike Scarpitti. He's a myth. Just put him on your ignore list and burn in your phones normally
tongue.gif

23_28_100.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

There is no such thing as Mike Scarpitti. He's a myth. Just put him on your ignore list and burn in your phones normally
tongue.gif

LOL

He'll have his very own Team Stealth... as in stealth posting...

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #18 of 29
Every headphone will break in with normal use, but audiophiles generally are impatient and want the optimal sound now, not tomorrow or in a week. That's what break-in methods are for. To really make sense, break in should happen at high to very high levels, not just «slightly above normal listening level». Obviously there are even cases where you won't get the full (bass) potential of a headphone without really brutal volume levels -- preferrably loud bass signals to force the membrane to travel without overly heating the voice coil --, as has been reported about AKG K 501 and Sennheiser PX 200.

Quote:

There is no such thing as Mike Scarpitti. He's a myth.

LOL
tongue.gif
I even believe he's a ghost who can't find his peace and has to repeat constantly «there is no such thing as burn-in» as soon as the subject is mentioned anywhere.

peacesign.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #19 of 29
You can burn in your headphone at any loudness you want as long as you don't hear distrotion because that's a sign your headphones are being played too loud and doing that for extended periods of time will damage them.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 29
i'm going deaf listening to my cans at my current normal level, because i can't believe how loud i can play my new MS-1s without distortion. my ears are burn-in more than my cans i'm sure.

i would just play em as you hear em, and over time enjoy the differences.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Obviously there are even cases where you won't get the full (bass) potential of a headphone without really brutal volume levels -- preferrably loud bass signals to force the membrane to travel without overly heating the voice coil --, as has been reported about AKG K 501 and Sennheiser PX 200.

My PX200s needed about 8 hours of this brutal burn-in to really warm up, and that was after months of use. Then again, I've noticed no change in my SR80s since I bought them 9 months ago. So now I just leave my headphones burn in with normal volume levels and leave the risky, violent, burn-in for when I'm desparate for better sound, which I was with the PX200.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 29
Hi,

The only way to burn in properly is to wear the headphones and burn you and the 'phones in together. You should do this for 6 months and the volume should be at a level to make your eyes water after 10 minutes.

Honestly, after 6 months of this even Sony's sound good. LOL

John

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi,

The only way to burn in properly is to wear the headphones and burn you and the 'phones in together. You should do this for 6 months and the volume should be at a level to make your eyes water after 10 minutes.

Honestly, after 6 months of this even Sony's sound good. LOL

John

I find it helps to wear them while I box my ears vigorously, too. Contrary to popular belief, though, it only improves the sound very slightly to actually set them on fire.

Really though, there isn't one true answer here. Some phones sound better over time or with burn in while others don't really change much.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 29
burn in is inevitable, as long as music is playing through it, so i dont really bother. i just listen to them mornally, which help adjust to the sound signature over time as the headphone itself is getting better.

...well there are some special case of burn in like playing very heavy bass music on the k501 to improve its bass response.

Jul 16, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #26 of 29
Well, call it what you want, but I just got my DT531s in the mail about 5 hours ago. (Thanks Superman's Ears
lambda.gif
)

Right out of the box I was like MAN! these suck.

Okay maybe they need an amp. (Fired up the Aardvark, plugged em in)

Well, that's better but my SR225s still sound so much better.

Wait, there's alot of talk about "burn-in" on HeadFi. Let me give it a shot. (pushed the volumn up a bit, no clipping, no headache...I'm being careful)

I put a towl around one of my computer speakers, perfect fit for these cans. I can barely hear them from across the room.

Took a nap. (yup, I'm 40 now, it happens)

Let me check em out and see if this is a bunch of "bull pucky" about burn-in. Yea, it's only been 5 hours, but surely I can atleast notice something by now.

Well, whatayaknow!!! ...they do actually sound better. It's as if someone pulled a wad of cotton out of these things. They're already opening up after just 5 hours. Incredible!

Rock and country music seems to have had the initial breakthrough. The treble is way more "crispy" I think. Bass is much better, kinda solid now...more "punch". They seem "faster". Soundstage seems a bit wider. (I'm not a reviewer, back off)

Still too tight and boring for classical music, gonna keep em burning. Considering the amount of hours I've read under recommendations, I've got a ways to go for the "full effect". I ain't touching these puppies for atleast 48 hours. I'll probably start listening to these extensively after that.

Placebo effect??? Nope, I didn't burn them in on my head. No auditory adaption was possible either for the same reason. I'm starting to like these babies. I know everyone has their personal ideas about burn-in, but I've got to be honest with myself under the recent circumstances. There is a difference. To me, that is.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
So how loud do you burn in your headphones? I burn in them at a volume at 1.5 -2 times as high as my normal listening level, which is about most of my firend's normal listening level. Yes my normal listening level is very low.

Turn them up until the smoke starts coming from them. This lets you know what level to stay under on your next pair.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #29 of 29
  Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
So how loud do you burn in your headphones? I burn in them at a volume at 1.5 -2 times as high as my normal listening level, which is about most of my firend's normal listening level. Yes my normal listening level is very low.

There is no such thing as burn-in. It's a myth. Just use your phones normally.

Just bought Shure 535s. Listened to Mahler on SACD and immediately set plans in place for sending them back. I assumed they were faulty (they sounded like crap) .. All the reviews I read gave them very high marks .. so .. I decided to burn them in for a while. I set them aside and played the complete Mahler 3 symphony through a full four times (a total of about 6 hours). On putting them back on (still Mahler 3) I immediately decided to keep them. They sound great. Actually now, since burn-in they sound, to my ears, even better than my Sennheiser 650s. I am now a true believer in earphone burn-in .. Nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back