Headphone Burn In, how loud?
Jul 15, 2004 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Reader

100+ Head-Fier
So how loud do you burn in your headphones? I burn in them at a volume at 1.5 -2 times as high as my normal listening level, which is about most of my firend's normal listening level. Yes my normal listening level is very low.

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader
So how loud do you burn in your headphones? I burn in them at a volume at 1.5 -2 times as high as my normal listening level, which is about most of my firend's normal listening level. Yes my normal listening level is very low.

There is no such thing as burn-in. It's a myth. Just use your phones normally.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti

are you serious?

My grados were extremely harsh and had no bass when I got them.

I played music fairly loud through them over night, and listened to them in the morning and they were more relaxed and the bass was enhanced.

Burn in is definitely not a myth.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Have you ever compared two new cans, burning one in and not the other? I have. Got myself two senn 280s, burnt one in, not the other. Big difference.

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
are you serious?

My grados were extremely harsh and had no bass when I got them.

I played music fairly loud through them over night, and listened to them in the morning and they were more relaxed and the bass was enhanced.

Burn in is definitely not a myth.

There is no such thing as burn-in. It's a myth. Just use your phones normally

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

your evidence to back your claim is overwhelming.

I can't handle the proof.

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 29
I once had two HD 580s in my possession at the same time. One was new and the other was purchased used off of head-fi. There was a discernible difference BUT not what I had expected - the new 580 sounded better. I think that there might be such a thing as burn in, but I don't believe that it will always lead to better sound as people here would have you believe.

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
your evidence to back your claim is overwhelming.

I can't handle the proof.

Actually when Mike questioned a Sennheiser rep about burn in, the confirmed that it was indeed a real thing. He just likes to stir up crap in all burn in related threads...

Mike,

Will you ever give up? There are many other things in the audiophile world that fit the definition of "snake oil" better that burn-in. Go after them instead... burn-in is reality according to most people who have experience with audio related gear. Personally I have heard drastic changes in several pieces of audio gear. To confirm that it really was burn in I continually checked against a reference. BURN-IN IS REAL, DEAL WITH IT...
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #14 of 29
Yeah burn-in is real, because sound is created from the vibration of the diaphragms and the flexibility of the vibration is completely influential to the look of the sound created. New headphones' diaphragms are tight and inflexible so the sound generated is muffled and unclear. As they are being used more and more they get looser and looser and their movement become more flexible hence the sound getting clearer, until to the supposed quality of performance. I have had two pairs of MSP and I have heard ABSOLUTELY clearly about their improvement from use.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

There is no such thing as burn-in. It's a myth. Just use your phones normally

There is no such thing as Mike Scarpitti. He's a myth. Just put him on your ignore list and burn in your phones normally
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back