Headphone/Audio Pronunciation Guide
Jun 16, 2002 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

grancasa

100+ Head-Fier
At the Boston World of Headphone's stop (which was great), I realized that I didn't know how to pronounce a lot of headphone and audio related terms correctly. I'm talking mostly about product names. Can you guys give me some help?

Clou

Grado - Sounds like grade-oh?

Impedence - I used to stumble on this... it's the same as impede (to hinder or get in the way)

Any others?

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by grancasa
Clou

Like "cow" with an "l"

Quote:

Yep.

Quote:

Impedence - I used to stumble on this... it's the same as impede (to hinder or get in the way)

Same root, but different pronunciation: IM-peh-dence (kind of like "impotence")

I'll add one for those who haven't been to a WOH Tour stop yet:

Tyll = "tile," not "till"
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 45
OMG....Grado is pronounced like that....!!!!

I thought Grado was pronounced

Grad - oh

"Grad", like in graduate

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 45
Heh, I've heard the Clou pronounced as "clue" before. The funniest one ever though that I heard was at the Hawaii Headfi meet...one of the guys pronounced the Cmoy amp as "Ka-Moy"
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Heh, I've heard the Clou pronounced as "clue" before. The funniest one ever though that I heard was at the Hawaii Headfi meet...one of the guys pronounced the Cmoy amp as "Ka-Moy"
biggrin.gif

Oops, I'll be a culprit, and an official member of the 'clue' collective, I was right with Grado though
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Same root, but different pronunciation: IM-peh-dence (kind of like "impotence")

Nope. Look it up. It's just like he thought, im-PEDE-uhnce.

I wonder where you heard that pronunciation, because I've NEVER heard it that way.

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 45
I second that RMSzero. I've never heard IM-ped-ence anywhere. The word is pronounced the same as its root, im-PEDE-ence.

I always thought Clou was 'clue' also
frown.gif

I pronounce grado with a hard A, 'gray-dough'.

Etymotic is an odd one, I always said it "Eteemahtic" but Tyll pronounces the O hard instead of soft, so it comes out "Eteemohtic". I suppose he has spoken with them on the phone, so he knows the real way, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Neutrik = Noytrick, yes.

cmoy = cee-moy, just like you were reading Chu Moy's first initial, and last name (which is what cmoy is).

My other 'weird pronounciation' was calling the MG Head the "Mighead". I didn't want to spell out the M and the G, so I prounounced it like the russian jet plane.

But in the end, remember that pronounciation is just what we agree upon, if you want to do it a different way, more power to you. You may not be as well understood, but its your right to attempt to alter the evolution of our language by using your own pronounciations.

Peace,
phidauex

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
It's just like he thought, im-PEDE-uhnce.

I wonder where you heard that pronunciation, because I've NEVER heard it that way.

In physics classes in college, and working at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
wink.gif

Although it's funny, cuz you're right about Dictionary.com (and Merriam-Webster.com, as well) -- they list it as im-PEE-duhnz. Kind of weird that all the physicists I've been around in my life pronounced it wrong!

Quote:

Originally posted by phidauex
Etymotic is an odd one, I always said it "Eteemahtic" but Tyll pronounces the O hard instead of soft, so it comes out "Eteemohtic". I suppose he has spoken with them on the phone, so he knows the real way, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's listed as MOW-tic on their web site.

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 45
There must be some wierd disparity through the physics community... All through my physics degree, everyone said 'Im-PEDE-ahnce'.

Of course, that was in colorado, and colorado is known as having the accent of not having an accent. Weathermen and news anchors are sent to colorado to train so they can unlearn their accents from wherever they came from.

That means my pronounciation is right! All you hick physicists can say 'IM-pedunce' all you want, but its wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!
wink.gif

peace,
phidauex

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

I thought Grado was pronounced "Grad - oh"

I had always pronounced it the first way, with a hard "a" sound. But someone told me that the correct way is the Italian pronounciation: "Grah-doh" (soft "a", hard "o")

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 45
How does one pronounce CHA-47? Is it verbally spelled out or is it something like "cha (as in the dance cha-cha) -47" ?

I actually come across the fact that I haven't any idea how to pronounce some audio terms and model numbers/names when talking to people at Audio stores, because I have never said them before. I mean, it's not like I read out loud to myself the posts on Head-Fi!

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I had always pronounced it the first way, with a hard "a" sound. But someone told me that the correct way is the Italian pronounciation: "Grah-doh" (soft "a", hard "o")

jpelg, if you're speaking Italian, that's correct. However, like many non-English names (Aguirre is a common one in CA), Grado is now Americanized
smily_headphones1.gif
If you call them on the phone, they pronounce it like Play-Doh
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back