Headphone/Audio Pronunciation Guide
Jun 19, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Beagle, were some of these jokes to throw people off?
wink.gif

Oh no. It was about as close as I could get without getting rude
biggrin.gif

I didn't want to say things like

Sennheiser (vay old)
Grado (cull erd)
Sony (lick wid)
AKG (lax bays)
Koss (kwah kee)

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #32 of 45
It was always im-ped-ence in physics when I was an undergrad at MIT. Both domestic and outlander profs....weird!

===
Quote:

In physics classes in college, and working at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
wink.gif

Although it's funny, cuz you're right about Dictionary.com (and Merriam-Webster.com, as well) -- they list it as im-PEE-duhnz. Kind of weird that all the physicists I've been around in my life pronounced it wrong!

It's listed as MOW-tic on their web site.

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #33 of 45
Just curious, is Ety's pronouced "eeties" (as I was subconciously pronouncing it in my head) or "ehties" ?

BTW, I think Etymotic is pronounced "Ehh-tih-moh-tic" right? Or is is ir pronouced differently as well?

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #34 of 45
Beagle - you definitely got "Beyer" wrong, it's "buyer", not "bayer". Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
that's so silly. boy do i have stuff like that. tell me they're english or something, then they'll be off the hook. the english pronounce beta as "bee-ta" and vitamins are "vit-amins" and a whole bunch of other weird **** that i can't remember at the moment. i've been listening to douglas adams' hhgg audio books read by the author and boy does he pronounce stuff incorrectly.

Yeah, like they pronounce "apartments" "flats" and "elevators" "lifts". Quote:

In physics classes in college, and working at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
wink.gif

Although it's funny, cuz you're right about Dictionary.com (and Merriam-Webster.com, as well) -- they list it as im-PEE-duhnz. Kind of weird that all the physicists I've been around in my life pronounced it wrong!

Maybe it's a running joke?

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
How 'bout "Akustische und Kino-Geräte" -- that's AKG, of course. The hardest part is getting the accent right.
wink.gif

kerelybonto

A tight black rubber skinsuit helps
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #36 of 45
Cardas ---> Card-ASS or Carduss?

Ultrasone ---> ultra-sohn or ultra-sun?

META ---> Mehta or Meata?

Fun thread. I always wondered about Gray-doh and Buyer-dynamics.

Nov 25, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #38 of 45
Etymotic = et-ee-moe-tic
Classe = class-ay
impedence = im-peed-ence
...big ones in New York:
very_evil_smiley.gif

potable = poe-tah-ble (new yorkers say: pot able)
radiator = ray-di-ay-tor (and in NY: rad ee ate or)
Grado = grey-dough

Quote:

Cardas ---> Card-ASS

what about NAD is it en-ay-dee? or nad? (never had any dealings with 'em)

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
How 'bout "Akustische und Kino-Geräte" -- that's AKG, of course. The hardest part is getting the accent right.
wink.gif

kerelybonto

German pronunciation isn't that hard, the rules are fairly regular in practice imo (unless all these years I've been hearing it wrong...). The i is pronounced like an ee sound and the umlaut on the a makes it prounounced like an English "a," that and the e on Geraete is not silent, an "ah."

Huh, acoustical and theater equipment. What do they make that's theater related?

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #44 of 45
Heh, I always pronounced Grado Grahdo until I met Neruda at the Winlock meet, who, uh, insisted I pronounce it correctly...

See, in German it makes more sense as Grahdo. But oh well...

And AKG is Ahh Kahh Gey. (German company, so WE get to say how to pronounce it
wink.gif
) For bonus points pronounce it Owkoostihher oond keeno gerraaytuh.

I pronounce Etymotic as Etymahtic, though it is officially Etymoetic.

For me, my Sennhighser Ehch-dee-six-hundreds are connected by Clue Blue cables to my Emm Gee Head and over to my Arr-Cam
smily_headphones1.gif

My Head currently uses a Taylefoonken twelveaayexseven with Gee Eee EeeEllEightyFour tubes, though it can use a Tuhng-Sohl FiveSevenFiveOne or Sill-vahnia Trihple-Mikeah-Black-Plate or Ray-thee-on 5751.

On the other hand, my Eee-tee-ay-forty-two needs upgrading, maybe to a Mehta-forty-two (yes, MEHTA, like "metasearch" or "Metamoderate". Not "meata"!)

And is it Beigherdinahmic or Baiyerdienahmic?

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #45 of 45
that's gra-doe (like in gracias, the 'a' is short, tongue rolls on the top of your palette. mouth opens at end of pronunciation). (it's a spanish/latin thing). instead of rah-rah, it's grah-grah. grah-doh. now say it in Italian.

1 grado
2 gradoes
3 gradi
biggrin.gif

4 gradii

listening to Bolling: Concerto for Classic Guitar and Piano

Users who are viewing this thread

Back