Headphone Amp for q701/dt770
Dec 23, 2011 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

colon

New Head-Fier
I recently got the AKG q701's as my first high quality pair of cans, and all I can say is WOW. Never realized how much better these make everything sound. Although getting power from my iPhone isn't ideal. I also am currently looking to buy a pair of beyerdynamic dt770's. It's quite hard to find the 32ohm version so I probably will settle on the 80ohm version. Since the AKG q701's are 62ohm I will really have some trouble using the dt770's them off my iPhone as well. I usually spend most of the day around campus on the go (~5-6hrs) and usually get home to program on my desktop the rest of the day/nite.

It would seem to me the e7/e9 combo would be ideal. However, I have heard that the e7 lacks power for the AKG's and I would assume even less for the dt770's (in terms of a portable option). Or if someone could confirm the use of an e7 with the AKG's.

So, should I get just purely a portable amp or one with a desktop solution as well. I really don't want anything too big in my pocket. I wouldn't mind using the portable amp on my desktop either. 

I also have a Macbook pro and the sound on that sounds much much better than my iPhone. Although I have seen people seek a DAC/amp combo for that.

So I guess it boils down to:

I will be using the dt770's around campus since they are a closed set of cans. Using my iPhone as a primary source of power for them. At home could either use my Macbook pro, my desktop (would have to get a new sound card), or a possible desktop solution or DAC/amp combo. Or just a pure amp. Or pure portable amp.

Budget is ~$150

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 3
You might want to look at the Objective2.  It won't quite fit in your pocket but it will run the 701s great from battery power if you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back