Headphone Amp for DT990 600ohm
Jan 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Anarchy

New Head-Fier
Hi I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and an Ultrasone H-Fi 780. I realize that portable amps are not really suitable for the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm however I am going to be traveling for a couple weeks during the holidays and want some good sound while I am not at home with my Woo Audio 3. My source is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I hope that I could hook up a USB dac to it with an amp. Preferably a combo unit because these need to be able to fit into my pockets. My budget varies on $/value. Thanks for the help in advance.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Hi I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and an Ultrasone H-Fi 780. I realize that portable amps are not really suitable for the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm however I am going to be traveling for a couple weeks during the holidays and want some good sound while I am not at home with my Woo Audio 3. My source is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I hope that I could hook up a USB dac to it with an amp. Preferably a combo unit because these need to be able to fit into my pockets. My budget varies on $/value. Thanks for the help in advance.

I do not have a recommendation for you sorry. I know a good number of amps but don't have any Beyer's or the amps i know so i can't give you a clear answer. but what this post is on is the bolded sentence. you might or might not know this, but in case u didn't. you can't use a DAC with the Samsung or any source. computers only. I didn't know if you thought the Neux or others will use the DAC but it doesn't. If you meant DAC as in just a portable one u can plug in, then yes, that works. the only known (popular, not unknown)device or company that is able to use 3rd party DAC's is Apple and even then, you need a special $600 product liket he CLAS or HP1 or Algo Solo. I think Nokia might be able to as well. not 100% sure on this as Nokia smartphones is a rarity in the states.

A super popular price to performance ratio amp and DAC is the E17. how it will do with the DT990 600ohm is unknown. i would recommend seeing reviews on DT990 600 Ohm with E11 as they are similar. if you like what you read then, i say the E17 is a good choice. I just bought it. The ibasso DB2 and PB2 is also ..known...but idon't have it and there isn't much on it. so i can't say much

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 14
Why not just leave your current headphones at home and get the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) for traveling, good price at Amazon.
I think your looking for a big hassle try to travel with 600-Ohm headphones.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Why not just leave your current headphones at home at get the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) for traveling, good price at Amazon.
I think your looking for a big hassle try to travel with 600-Ohm headphones.

Getting portable use geadphones is a good idea but theres this feeling in all us head fiers which want us to use the same stuff we r currently using

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the advice. However as previously stated in the OP I do have a portable set, the Ultrasone H-Fi 780. However I thought hey if I get a DAC/AMP for these might as well make sure they work for all my headphones. So with that in mind any good DAC/AMP that runs off an internal battery (Preferably not Fiio)?

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. However as previously stated in the OP I do have a portable set, the Ultrasone H-Fi 780. However I thought hey if I get a DAC/AMP for these might as well make sure they work for all my headphones. So with that in mind any good DAC/AMP that runs off an internal battery (Preferably not Fiio)?

Objective 2 portable headphone amplifier is getting good reviews.
May not be as small as you would like.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Just throwing out random amps and or brands i don't own but have heard a lot about, so you have a sense at where to go.
Triad L3
Fostex HP1,CLAS,Algo Solo
Schiit
Nuforce

He said he wanted a portable headphone amplifier that he can travel with in his pocket.
I did not know Schiit amplifier were that portable?

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
When I mean portable I meant put in my pocket on a 14 hour plane ride. Sorry ,but a 10lbs tube amp is not my exact definition of portable :p

Your in luck.
Schiit does make a discrete (non-tube) headphone amplifier (the Asgard) that only weights 5 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back