Headphone amp for DT770 80ohm?
Oct 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

topsbew

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a headphone amp for my Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms. I assume that I will benefit from having a headphone amp. I want to make full use of my headphones, and I'm guessing a headphone amp will help with this.

I use my DT770s with my desktop computer. My desktop has onboard Realtek ALC892 with an optical output, but I currently have a USB Behringer UF0202 which I plug my headphones into. I listen to FLAC files and watch BluRay movies on my desktop.

My question is whether I should just get an amp for the UF0202 or replace the UF0202 with separate DAC & AMP or replace with a combined DAC & AMP? Should I use the optical output on my onboard sound card?

From my research, I've seen tube amplifiers mentioned a bit. Should I go with one of these?

Too many questions I know, but any help in answering any of this will be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

I'm looking for a headphone amp for my Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms. I assume that I will benefit from having a headphone amp. I want to make full use of my headphones, and I'm guessing a headphone amp will help with this.
I use my DT770s with my desktop computer. My desktop has onboard Realtek ALC892 with an optical output, but I currently have a USB Behringer UF0202 which I plug my headphones into. I listen to FLAC files and watch BluRay movies on my desktop.
My question is whether I should just get an amp for the UF0202 or replace the UF0202 with separate DAC & AMP or replace with a combined DAC & AMP? Should I use the optical output on my on board sound card?
From my research, I've seen tube amplifiers mentioned a bit. Should I go with one of these?
Too many questions I know, but any help in answering any of this will be appreciated! :)

Asus Xonar DG ($26) or DGX ($41) sound card, can drive 80-ohm headphone and comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1
You would not use the USB Behringer URO202 with it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel.

One detail I failed to mention in the original post is that I run linux on my computer, rather than Windows. So I won't be able to enjoy the Dobly Headphone and other features of the cards you suggested. Do you still think one of those cards is the best option for my situations

Thanks

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel.

One detail I failed to mention in the original post is that I run Linux on my computer, rather than Windows. So I won't be able to enjoy the Dolby Headphone and other features of the cards you suggested. Do you still think one of those cards is the best option for my situations

If Linux has drivers that support the C-Media CMI8786 audio processor and/or Asus Xonar sound cards, then the DG (PCI) & DGX (PCI-E) is this a good value.

Something like the SMSL SD-793II ($60) S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input DAC (PCM1793) and headphone amplifier, should have not problem plugged into the computer's optical output.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280993199312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Linux software might have more opinions (with Realtek chip-set) for audio output when using S/PDIF optical, over USB.
You would think someone in the Linux world would make surround sound software for linux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back