Headphile Open Design with Headphone Caps?
Dec 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

suhaybh

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of open headphones and I really enjoy having the sound of an open can. I also do a lot of studying in libraries and usually require a pair of closed headphones to block out the noise. I was looking at some of Headphile's work and noticed that he had some open woody designs with a little cap to place over the open portion. I think this is a pretty neat idea as it would allow me to have a set of headphones that are both open and closed. I know a lot of people will tell me to just invest in another pair of headphones, but I would much rather stick with one pair. Has anyone owned a pair of Headphile headphones that had a pair of caps? How well do they work at closing the headphones and how secure are they?

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 7
open headphones are designed to be open. they will not sound the same when sealed. usually the effect will be negative.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 7
It could be an option if you don't mind them sounding not so good for the time you are in the library. If you don't spend loads of time there then it wouldn't be too much of an issue I wouldn't think. It sounds like a neat concept though. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 7
You can try it out by covering up the open part. See how it sounds.

I don't know what headphones you're using, but for example, when I used my hand to cover up the opening on the pair of Grados I had, the sound changed completely. The most immediate difference was that there was no longer any bass! I didn't bother trying to listen for other differences.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Oh yeah...if you cover the backs of Grados with your hands they are terrible. No bass and barely any mids. All treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back