HeadFi Holiday Exchange - "WHADJAGET?"
Dec 20, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 52
Got home from a business trip on Friday to find a nice package from kelstonwaiting for me on my desk!

Since Im just an overgrown kid, I decided to tear into until waiting for christmas.
What was Inside you ask?

3 wrapped CDs.
1. Avalon by Roxy Music. This one is a cd/sacd hybrid...What a treat! I love Roxy and ntil now just owned it on Vinyl.

2. next up...Walt Mink I have never heard this one before, but I like it alot! Can't wait to spend more time with it.

Finally, my favorite of the 3...Puffy Ami Yumi "Nice" Once again, never heard them before but they are very cool! Kind of a japanes, punk, garage, low fi thing going on here.

Anyway, Thats what I got!

Thanks kelston!
Merry Christmas everyone

Dec 21, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 52
Well my grandmother insisted that I come back up to Chicagoland ahead of schedule and when I arrived last night I had a Digikey Box from jefemeister and inside of it was not electronic parts (but just as exciting) was David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" on hybrid SACD. Now all I gotta do is find a CD player. My grandma's computer doesn't recognize the disc so I guess I'll have to wait until I get to my brother's on Tuesday before I can listen to it.

This reminded me of a time in High School in my AP US History class. We had a short daily/weekly quiz about our reading and one of the questions was: "Name three people who fought at the Alamo." Well I answered: "Daniel Boone, David Crocket, ..." and being in the D alliteration mode I put down: "and David Bowie." (should be James Bowie). My teacher had a field day the next day in class when he asked me what I had answered for that question.

Dec 22, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Yesterday I received Jude's gift. It is a 2 CD set entitled "Godowsky: The Complete Study of Chopin's Études" Marc-Andre Hamelin has recorded the 53 pieces for the piano. They are some of the more difficult ones written and the booklet states that few artists attempt them. I have listened to the first CD and hopefully I will get a chance to complete the second later this afternoon. I will be listening to these pieces for hours as there is so much to absorb and appreciate. A great choice Jude, Thank You.

After being confused (happens allot) by the title and looking it up, I found out that Godowsky (1870-1938) was a composer and reworked Chopin's Etudes (Opp. 10 & 25, less Op. 25/7). Almost all of the reviews I found on the net were glowing, and The Penguin guide gives this recording three out of three stars and a Rosette. Even though it's full price plus, think I'll be checking this one out myself.

Leopold GODOWSKY: Studies on Chopin's Etudes (complete)

GODOWSKY: The Complete Studies on Chopin's Etudes

Dec 22, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #19 of 52
Just opened my package from fyrfytrhoges and there were 2 cds inside (am I the only cheapskate who sent only 1 CD?). Radiohead OK computer which I was just about ready to buy, and Pink Floyd Animals which I used to own on cassette years ago. 2 great choices I am excited to listen to tonight.
Thanks Paul!!

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
Just opened my package from fyrfytrhoges and there were 2 cds inside (am I the only cheapskate who sent only 1 CD?).........................

Unfortunately ............ no.
This is my first time and I also only sent one CD
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Unfortunately ............ no.
This is my first time and I also only sent one CD
rolleyes.gif

Same here.

But I thought that was the idea. Sent someone from head-fi a gift.
Then again, I don't know American Christmas traditions. In the Netherlands giving someone you don't know personally presents worth more than say 1 CD would be unapropriate. (And there would have been fights and flames about it days ago. lol.

"This way the young guys with little pocket money can't participate anymore next year"
"You'll make the people sending JUST one gift feel quilty"
It's gotta stay fun, everyone should give and recieve about the same. That way no-one feels bad one way or the other"
"We said A present, not 'work yourself into dept to show off on head-fi with three box sets'."

I'm actualy still quite surprised there aren't flamewars.
biggrin.gif
)

But this an American board so American rules it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
"This way the young guys with little pocket money can't participate anymore next year"
"You'll make the people sending JUST one gift feel quilty"
It's gotta stay fun, everyone should give and recieve about the same. That way no-one feels bad one way or the other"
"We said A present, not 'work yourself into dept to show off on head-fi with three box sets'."

There are plenty of people here who want to tell people what to do and think. Please forgive the firearms analogy, but the "shotgun" approach provides more chances for a "hit" for us insecure guys. IMHO one CD picked out with care and sent with dispatch is worth ten CDs selected indifferently. This is not a competition, and I trust people are sending what they are comfortable with. I know what I have received has a special place in my collection and will be in my estate when I die.

Dec 23, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
There are plenty of people here who want to tell people what to do and think. Please forgive the firearms analogy, but the "shotgun" approach provides more chances for a "hit" for us insecure guys. IMHO one CD picked out with care and sent with dispatch is worth ten CDs selected indifferently. This is not a competition, and I trust people are sending what they are comfortable with. I know what I have received has a special place in my collection and will be in my estate when I die.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the examples I posted are my opinion. Just what would have happened on a Dutch forum the minute someone would receive three CD's instead of the one we 'agreed' on.

I'm trying to explain my suprised feelings about the differences of culture between two such simular countries culture wize. That's all. I don't mean to offend anyone. It's actually quite liberating that people here seems so little uptight about things like this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 52
I guess I am somewhat of a zealot about my music -- I love it so much that I want to spread as much of it as possible to people. For this reason, I sent 2 cds. I understand the Dutch concern for everyone's pride, but I think this is just supposed to be a gift given freely. It does not matter if one person spent 15 dollars and another 30. If you try to even everything out, all hell breaks loose. This is what Japan is like -- god forbid you give someone a gift, because it will start is vendetta like exchange -- you will give and receive gifts every time you see each other until you are dead. Which is part of the fun I suppose.

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 52
My selection was based on doing a bit of research that included reading a profile then searching the music forum for posts that gave me clues. I then began searching for a CD that fit 2 criteria, first it had to be one that i hoped he did not have and most importantly one that would be enjoyed. I had a few candidates finally deciding on one. The fact that it contained 2 Cd's never was part of my selection process.

I think over analysis of what was given and received aside from the music would take away from the fun of giving.

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #26 of 52
john_jcb, I'm very glad you're enjoying that Hamelin album. That is an album of pianistic near technical impossibilities -- among the many other things, have you listened to all of the studies for left hand only? The first few times through, it's interesting to read through his thorough track-by-track liner notes as you listen.

As for my gift from john_jcb:

John also sent me a 2-CD album by an artist I wasn't previously familiar with, violinist Ric Sanders and his Ric Sanders Group. The album is titled In Lincoln Cathedral, and I'm not even sure how to classify their wonderful music, other than to describe them as a jazz trio with a wide musical palette of influences to paint from. The music is mesmerizng, and the sense of the cathedral's acoustic just as impressive. I'm not sure if Sanders arranged these pieces with the reverberant cathedral in mind; but it wouldn't surprise me, as the trio has a knack for allowing notes to freely explore the space before returning to the microphones with full reports of what they found on their trips through the venue.

Disc 1 is the full performance, and, alone, would be a standout choice in every way, musically and sonically. But it's Disc 2 that elevates this choice for the Head-Fi exchange to an exceedingly thoughtful gesture by John, as it contains five tracks from Disc 1, recorded and presented binaurally--talk about an out-of-head experience! This binaural part of the album really puts you right there in the resonant cathedral. Disc 2 also contains DTS tracks, and, to top it off, a video of the band playing that includes coverage of the guy who wore the binaural microphones during the recording, quietly moving around to give the different perspective shifts you hear in the binaural tracks.

A wonderfully thoughtful selection, John. Thank you very much, man.

Dec 23, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #27 of 52
I am truely sorry I brought the 'giving more than one CD' thing up.
It was never my intension that anyone would feel the need to explain themself. I personally don't care what we give eachother as long as everyone is happy with it.
The only reason I said what I did was because I am amazed about the differences in cultures. Ever since I've been here I've seen such huge differences which I never expected. Or maybe did but never took the time to think about it. Regarding all sorts of things. I guess I should have chosen another subject to point this out.

About how I picked out my gift for my partner. I searched the music forum, didn't get any wiser
wink.gif
So I considered several options he might like and gave them a listen to be sure. Then chose the CD which is most likely to be a nice surprise.
And I think he got it by now or is about to receive it. And I hope he likes it a lot.

And THAT is what this exchange is all about to me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy Christmas everyone!

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
I am truely sorry I brought the 'giving more than one CD' thing up.

Don't be sorry, Lisa, I understood what you meant and I think everybody else did, too. Actually a pretty interesting thing to discuss. Being half Swedish, however, I grew up in a somewhat similar culture. As for not being uptight, just ask most any of us about sex.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #29 of 52
I came home yesterday and there was a big white box from America waiting for me :) I was going to leave it till Christmas day to open but couldn't resist opening it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Orpheus, all I can say is "wow" thanks !!! Inside this package were 3 of Deans CD's, all personally signed, 4 bags of assorted chocolate coated coffee beans, a lovely tin of Canadian Fudge and a very nice letter explaining what inspired him to compose his music. Dean, that is one of the nicest presents I have ever received and your music is absolutely superb..... I'm glad you signed the CD's cause when you become a huge star (which you will!) I can show off these CD's to my friends!

Deans music is awesome and I particularly like "Lost in the land of Maerd S'Naed" it's a haunting ethereal sounding piece of music and is up there with Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Jean Michel Jarre etc. If I had known you were that good Dean I'd have bought these CD's ages ago!! Your music is the kind of stuff that I could listen to over and over again....... thanks!!!! That was a truly unique gift and one I shall cherish.

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back