HeadFi Gone Right / Music Alchemist
May 17, 2021 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Philimon

Headphoneus Supremus
@Music Alchemist sold me headphones desribed as “not in the best condition”, drivers were described as malfunctioning, then “Due to its condition, this is sold as-is and you will be responsible for any repairs, replacements, etc.”

I left positive feedback upon arrival of package without checking contents. Moments later open package and find the headphones are pretty gross. The photos in original listing looked poor but it was not clear to me obviously.

The cups are cracked which is the serious issue. I personally would have given or thrown these away. I could clean them, but I dont know if I could unstain the fabrics. The headband too is rough. These headphones I do not want to use as parts. Messed up cups and pads I could deal. But broken cups (i would say broken if split with crack), grimey headband, and stained cable is all junk to me. Not saying you were misrepresenting because maybe you didnt notice in a dimly lit room.

Music Alchemist replied to say it’s sold as-is and condition was shown in photos.

You be the judge:
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...rare-blue-version-with-detachable-cable.1842/

I already left positive feedback and am without other options, so this thread is born.

May 17, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 17
sigh... Bro, as I told you, you could clearly see the condition of the headphones in the photos. They look the same in the photos as they did in person.

I should also specify here (as I did on the classified ad) that their condition is due to a previous owner and that I merely passed them on.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 17
Hard to get good photos, cloudy day. And I think the bulb on my old dslr is bad. I could switch to a tripod to get better quality images or wait til tomorrow. Either way, I don't think it'll help my case. The important thing is that the cups are cracked. They have gouges and chips which I noticed in original listing photos, but I think the split enclosure is another issue entirely because it reduces usability. It will bend under pressure fitting new drivers causing air leaks and channel imbalance and loosing driver...

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 17
To be fair they look kind of the same. Did you ask if the cups were broken before buying? The crack is visible in the classified.

They do look kind of the same, which is why I think better photos would not improve my argument. I think it's the matter of broken cups. The original photos showed a "scratch" to me and not a "crack". I think a split enclosure is worthy of mention in a for sale ad. I did tell MA that I was going to reuse with another driver. But I did not ask him for extra details beyond what was mentioned in ad.

May 17, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 17
The important thing is that the cups are cracked. They have gouges and chips which I noticed in original listing photos, but I think the split enclosure is another issue entirely because it reduces usability. It will bend under pressure fitting new drivers causing air leaks and channel imbalance and loosing driver...
The headband is crusty and sticky. The cable is dirty.
I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't realize that the crack was going to be a potential problem.

I had no usability issues myself, aside from the rattling drivers described on the ad, which I suspect was caused by hair stuck inside them. (A known issue with beyers.) This becomes a moot point when you use different drivers, anyway.

I'm not sure whether it would actually bend after putting in different drivers. It seems to me that the crack wouldn't affect anything. Do you think you could install your drivers and share what happens?

I did neglect to photograph the inner part of the headphones. However, aside from the inner part of the crack that is shown in your photo with the pad taken off, everything else was shown in my photos.

As for the stained pads you mentioned, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I've handled beyer pads before and they looked and felt the same to me. They become darker/brighter depending on how you touch the fabric.

The original photos showed a "scratch" to me and not a "crack".
You should be able to click this image (from the original ad) and zoom in to full size to see the crack. (In the lower left side of the photo.)

11461061.jpg

May 17, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 17
Was going to use Beyer with RP18 / T50 (vintage) drivers as seen here. I dont know how stock Beyer drivers are fitted (I presume with screws), but the large vintage planar drivers/baffles would need to be pressure fitted / tightly held in place by Beyer enclosure. A compromised enclosure transplant would be a unwise move for a rare old expensive awesome driver. Just fall out. They are heavy drivers. Would not risk.

The stock pads due look a little rusted color in spots but maybe I was seeing things. I wasnt going to use stock pads anyway. It was the dirt / yellow stained cables that bothered me since I dont know if I can clean that.

What do you think happened to these headphones? Used by someone as their gym headphone is my guess. I dont think its covered in rust. I think its skin and sweat. It is gross.

May 17, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Was going to use Beyer with RP18 / T50 (vintage) drivers as seen here. I dont know how stock Beyer drivers are fitted (I presume with screws), but the large vintage planar drivers/baffles would need to be pressure fitted / tightly held in place by Beyer enclosure. A compromised enclosure transplant would be a unwise move for a rare old expensive awesome driver. Just fall out. They are heavy drivers. Would not risk.

The stock pads due look a little rusted color in spots but maybe I was seeing things. I wasnt going to use stock pads anyway. It was the dirt / yellow stained cables that bothered me since I dont know if I can clean that.

What do you think happened to these headphones? Used by someone as their gym headphone is my guess. I dont think its covered in rust. I think its skin and sweat. It is gross.
Yeah...I dunno what in the world happened to them.

I made the mistake of accepting a trade for them without getting detailed photos first. I suspect that the person who sent them to me showed me older images from when they were in better condition too.

I feel really bad about all this... I've sold/traded a ton of gear on Head-Fi and almost never had any problems.

This blue version is rare (I've never seen it anywhere else) and the headphones have been modified to be able to attach aftermarket cables. Plus they came with extra aftermarket pads, etc. So despite its poor condition, I already feel like my asking price was fair...but I want to do something to at least make up for the crack issue.

Would a partial refund of $20 be acceptable to you?

May 17, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Yeah...I dunno what in the world happened to them.

I made the mistake of accepting a trade for them without getting detailed photos first. I suspect that the person who sent them to me showed me older images from when they were in better condition too.

I feel really bad about all this... I've sold/traded a ton of gear on Head-Fi and almost never had any problems.

This blue version is rare (I've never seen it anywhere else) and the headphones have been modified to be able to attach aftermarket cables. Plus they came with extra aftermarket pads, etc. So despite its poor condition, I already feel like my asking price was fair...but I want to do something to at least make up for the crack issue.

Would a partial refund of $20 be acceptable to you?

Not acceptable, but I appreciate the offer and sympathy.

Like I said, Id personally not sell such headphones. Id rather throw or give away. Id also personally not use.

I am sorry someone duped you into these phones.

May 17, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Not acceptable, but I appreciate the offer and sympathy.

Like I said, Id personally not sell such headphones. Id rather throw or give away. Id also personally not use.

I am sorry someone duped you into these phones.
Again, I feel so bad that things didn't work out for you...so you can send them back and I will give you a refund once they have arrived.

(After which time I would appreciate if you could change the thread title to something positive. hehe...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back