HeadAmp Pico Slim Portable Amplifier
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #646 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This picture sums up why HeadAmp is a great company with a great product in my eyes. Everything is out in the open to see.
Notice a distinct lack of mil-spec nail polish.

I think this is one of the angles that ZS is coming from.

My experience of communication with Justin has been quick and to the point. Pretty good I think
normal_smile .gif

QFT!

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #647 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of us Head-fiers are like little kids screaming, shouting in front of the ice cream truck which comes every Tuesday, demanding for the ice cream vendor's attention as we want our ice cream so badly.

Hehe, I still do that. The nice thing about being older is I'm taller and louder than all the kids
biggrin.gif

And our ice cream truck comes on Wednesdays
wink.gif

I agree with your analogy btw.
smile.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #651 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This picture sums up why HeadAmp is a great company with a great product in my eyes. Everything is out in the open to see.
Notice a distinct lack of mil-spec nail polish.

I think this is one of the angles that ZS is coming from.

You guys may not agree on this but a small business owners has his/her right to protect their intellectual property.
ph34r.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #652 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys may not agree on this but a small business owners has his/her right to protect their intellectual property.
ph34r.gif

I think he stated that he liked the manufacturer because he didn't try to "protect" anything by trying to hide his intellectual property. He didn't say that anyone wasn't within their rights to use nail polish if they wish. Intellectual property doesn't require this though, so Justin can do what he wants with his without making someone upset I would think.

On the other hand, if I saw Justin's designs used elsewhere, at least I could possibly tell they stole it easily, nail polish isn't fool proof. Nothing against anyone's rights in admiring disclosure from a manufacturer.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #653 of 1,103
I'm having a hard time keeping up with this thread. Can anyone tell me if Justin revealed the amp's special feature(s)?

Quote:

Q: What other new features does the Pico Slim have?
A: There are other new features that won't be revealed yet. Also, the Pico Slim could be the first portable amp where features can be added in the future through USB.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #654 of 1,103
Thanks manaox2, that is all I meant. I appreciate the disclosure from Justin.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #655 of 1,103
I understand what he meant and agree Justin is one of the few very good guys around here, especially a small community like head-fi. If the other manufacture think hiding his design by using nail polish, let him be. We don't need to dis his practice.

Sorry for the off topic.

Finally got to try out PICO amp, it makes me want this even more.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #656 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzaba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time keeping up with this thread. Can anyone tell me if Justin revealed the amp's special feature(s)?

To my knowledge he hasn't yet.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #657 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am an audiophile. I only care for the music coming out of my headphones, how is it amplified (which includes all the circuitry), what source is being used and what cables are being used (cables I know that won't corrode and that's about it). High quality products don't need to have the best customer service in the world.

So if you get a broken amp, then get charged for return shipping, don't get your amp back for a few weeks, then have to email repeatedly to finally get an answer, that's perfectly fine? And no, not saying this is how you'll be treated dealing with this company...but there are companies out there with major customer service issues. When something breaks, you need to know it will get fixed.

Having said that, I really am torn between the RSA Shadow and this particular unit (have not seen a price yet)...they seem more similar, than not. The whole hiding the OpAmp seems...well silly, to me. I understand the reasoning behind it, but some units are technically superior to others. People should be entitled to know what they're buying, even though it is not legally required. Most of us cannot listen to both the Pico and the RSA unit...(shipping costs, being all over the world), it would be nice to compare offerings based on facts, and not subjective information all the time. When I drive a car, the performance is all that matters, so maybe what engine is inside shouldn't matter. But what if certain engines are prone to fail earlier than others? What if the car can't be tested on more than just a side street? That doesn't help you know its performance on another type of road (or off-road)...we simply cannot test out each headphone in every situation so technical information is invaluable.

Sorry to rant in this thread...let's release some of these units so we can post plenty of subjective information anyway
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #660 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if you get a broken amp, then get charged for return shipping, don't get your amp back for a few weeks, then have to email repeatedly to finally get an answer, that's perfectly fine? And no, not saying this is how you'll be treated dealing with this company...but there are companies out there with major customer service issues. When something breaks, you need to know it will get fixed.

Having said that, I really am torn between the RSA Shadow and this particular unit (have not seen a price yet)...they seem more similar, than not. The whole hiding the OpAmp seems...well silly, to me. I understand the reasoning behind it, but some units are technically superior to others. People should be entitled to know what they're buying, even though it is not legally required. Most of us cannot listen to both the Pico and the RSA unit...(shipping costs, being all over the world), it would be nice to compare offerings based on facts, and not subjective information all the time. When I drive a car, the performance is all that matters, so maybe what engine is inside shouldn't matter. But what if certain engines are prone to fail earlier than others? What if the car can't be tested on more than just a side street? That doesn't help you know its performance on another type of road (or off-road)...we simply cannot test out each headphone in every situation so technical information is invaluable.

Sorry to rant in this thread...let's release some of these units so we can post plenty of subjective information anyway
jecklinsmile.gif

Of course that's not fine. But of course, if I stated it before, if you (the manufacturer) know you're going to make a high quality product which isn't prone to failure or malfunctioning, let's say 1 in 10000 units are prone to be defective compared to another company's 1 in 100, I don't really see the requirement for having the best customer service.
This is on a bias saying that I'm paying for the product with better likelihood of it not malfunctioning. I'd rather have that bias than a product which has issues or prone to malfunctions and failures but a customer service makes up for it. IMHO that's just wasting money on customer service and not really paying for product quality. And besides, I trust Headamp in regards to "know what they're doing" in terms of amp designs and circuitry, amp building and final product QC more than I trust other manufacturers.

Even high quality guitars take a year or two to make just because;
A) they're handmade
B) Strict QC
C) long-***** queues as there are other people waiting for their own instrument.
The luthiers might or might not have the time to answer your calls but at least you know once their job is done, you'll have a one fine instrument. And even if there are any flaws or issues, you still can send it back, knowing that they'd fix it up, maybe an email or two every now and then to check up on it since, well, they're busy building other people's guitars as well. Your instrument isn't the only thing they should pay attention to. And who knows? Is it a big issue? A small issue? Parts required for the fix are delayed just because the post office ******** up? You could ask in regards to that but you can't really control that element of "fixing an issue".

And in regards to your car anatomy, I quite agree. We should know what's going on "under the hood" or at least what's under it, especially if this hobby is a something we're really into, maybe ask some experts about things we don't know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back