HeadAmp Pico Slim Portable Amplifier
Sep 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #436 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look on the front, I'm not sure how in the world he could have squeezed another mini stereo jack on the pcb, let alone the chassis.

At least part of the motivation was the spacing of the jacks relative to the switch and knob, yes.

I can't wait to see the real thing.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #437 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsawdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, HPA My daughter thanks you too, even though she doesn't know it--you just made sure she gets a Nano for Christmas.

Now I need to figure out which gen she has and if the HD can be upgraded. Also rockbox-ability. Another question, since the Slim's input is on the top has anyone rewired the iPod's headphone jack to be the line out. Would make for a very short connector: right angle jack directly soldered to another right angle jack.
This would disconnect the HP amp in the iPod, but once you have the amp it's no big loss IMHO.

George

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at that prototype pic... did Justin move the input to the rear???? Or... is that not a complete prototype?

Justin moved the input to the rear so you can use a 90 degree low profile LOD like the one from Punnisher or -=Germania=- or stevenkelby or other DIY'ers and not have the 90 plug block the volume controls or outputs. It also improved the form factor and allowed the Pico Slim to be even smaller than the CanJam prototype.

Also, if you have a Pico DAC-only that runs from your laptop to the back of your desk with IC's running out to a desktop amp, the Pico Slim can also connect to the 1/8" out and still have the headphone jack facing you, instead of the jack and volume facing away from you.

He was still considering adding a second 1/8" input I think, but I'm not sure that worked out.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #438 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he moved the input to the rear

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justin moved the input to the rear so you can use a 90 degree low profile LOD like the one from Punnisher or -=Germania=- or stevenkelby or other DIY'ers and not have the 90 plug block the volume controls or outputs.

This is why I'm happy. My interest in this amp just grew tenfold. I may tell my budget to take a hike to buy this amp.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #439 of 1,103
wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up tenfold :p

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #440 of 1,103
Hahaha. I hope not. I still won't buy it if it's ridiculously expensive because I simply don't have that kind of money to spent on an amp. That's one of the main reasons I won't buy a Shadow; I still need to pay rent
wink.gif

EDIT: The more and more I think about this amp the more I think it's shaping up to be the perfect amp for me. I haven't been this excited about a piece of audio equipment ever. I really hope it doesn't end up busting my wallet, because I'm probably gonna buy it whatever it's price is...and kick myself later. The price will determine the number, frequency and force of kicks.
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #441 of 1,103
Anyone care to speculate if the Pico DAC + the Slim will sound better than the Pico DAC/amp? My iems are the JH13s. I already have the other two Picos, so a third isn't needed unless it's an improvement.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #442 of 1,103
The current Pico is more powerful so I'm not sure why anyone would speculate that the Pico Slim would sound any better, esp. with higher impedance headphones.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #444 of 1,103
what I want to know, aside from price point, is will the pico slim sound equivalent to the regular dac-less pico, coming from my Grado 325is's. I know Grados are low impedance, but I'd rather get the pico that sounds best with them. If they both sound equivalent, then I'd go with the slim, or whichever's cheaper.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #446 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original Pico's jacks are crowded enough as it is. Having the input in the rear is a good move.

LOL, that still sounded dirty.
evil_smiley.gif

LOL!!!

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #447 of 1,103
I found the Pico Slim to sound warmer than the original Pico when I tried it at CanJam, and I liked it a bit more. I have the original Pico, and the Pico DAC-only and still plan to buy the Slim for my IEMs.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #449 of 1,103
I don't have low profile LOD and don't plan to get one in the near future, so having input and output on the opposite sides I guess it's no go for me...
frown.gif

(one of the reason I didn't go for The Shadow either)

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #450 of 1,103
If you dont' have a dock, it shouldn't be a problem the knob is on the side with the headphones, the other side is the input, I don't really see the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back