HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
May 23, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #2,117 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by rippingdragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did all of you who are receiving your Pico's get shipping notices first?

Have any international Head-fiers from the 300-400 batch got a shipping notice or received their Pico?

ameo ##372 from Germany:
No
rolleyes.gif

May 23, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #2,118 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by rippingdragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have any international Head-fiers from the 300-400 batch got a shipping notice or received their Pico?

Justin emailed me yesterday to confirm my shipping address, don't know when he'll ship it.

EDIT: I'm #304

May 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #2,119 of 3,724
As of right now, USA shipments through #375 have gone out, international through #325. By tomorrow it will be to #380 for USA and to #360 for international. This was simply to get as many out as quickly as possible because it takes a lot of time and fact checking to do the international labels

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #2,120 of 3,724
My Pico arrived yesterday, in my mailbox when I got home. Hooked it up Macbook-USB-Pico-ATH-ESW9/D5000...the dac takes my wav files to a whole other level....very happy, couldn't stop listening....Hang in there!

May 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #2,121 of 3,724
after a day of listening. I'm f'n amazed. Problem is i crave to rip a lot of cds in flac now and that would be a lot of cds. I'm still being surprised at how small this thing is. No matter how many pics i've seen it never looked as small as it really is.

May 25, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #2,123 of 3,724
Hi Justin, can I please get an all black pico with a 6ft cable with the DAC, thanks.
Have a great day.

May 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #2,124 of 3,724
Hey Justin, are the estimated shipping times on track?

May 25, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2,125 of 3,724
Looks like the shipping times are about a month behind. But that's just from checking Justin's last post against his website estimates.

Mate, I e-mailed you to be sure you have my e-mail. Looks like I was a bit premature. Least you've definitely got it! Take care and look forward to receiving a request for payment!

May 27, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #2,128 of 3,724
#314 arrived on Thursday night (3/23). It is quite impressive, I must say. Thanks Justin!

(and yes, I did get an email confirmation of shipping...the amp came about 5 days after that confirmation...and yes, it is worth the wait, in my opinion--i ordered on January 24).

By way of impressions: It seems that it has changed a bit from the original out of the box, since straight out of the box I was a little concerned about the slightly rolled off treble and overly represented bass, but the response has flattened out (with treble extension appearing nicely and bass moving into a better balanced position in the mix). Also, there was a bit of mid-congestion right out of the box that has given way to a warm and inviting midrange. Believe what you will about burn in with this amp, but with only 20-30 hours, there does seem to be a change for the better, making this amp sound now more like the description that has preceeded my listening. Given that "most things burned in" require hundreds of hours, I was, at first, a bit skeptical of the difference I was hearing, but I have no other reasonable explanation for the change in sound to my ears. I can't accept "brain training" as an explanation here since I only listened at the very beginning and then 24 hours later...no time for actual perceptual mechanisms to be affected.

I have to say that the comments others have made about how well this amp conveys transparent upper detail while still handling sibilant recordings so well seems right on. So far, it is a no squint amp...

It also does a REALLY nice job separating individual voices across the midrange without sounding empty. It remains, to me, quite musical and enveloping. I don't find myself pulled into "studying the instruments" so much as pulled into the swoon of the music itself. Very nice presentation of textural detail without creating an overly-analytical or distant experience.

If the amp changes significantly, or if I have anything useful to say, I will post again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back