HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Jan 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #1,203 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the info. however, i have a couple more questions after searching numerous pico threads:

1. what's the battery life of the pico when fully charged?
2. is the usb cable free since i see people requesting them from justin?
3. if i connect my iPod to my laptop and run iTunes, then using a usb cable to hook up to the pico, would there be any detriment to sq as compared to lossless/mp3 files on the laptop hard drive?

~20 hrs

one included, your choice of 1, 3, or 6' length.

wha? Seems the odd way to go about it. If your iMod is synced to that computer, just use the computer's library to play the files be they lossless or whatever. You could play off the iMod via itunes (acting as external storage device, not using iMod DAC), but there is no added benefit. For portable, the pico DAC is out of the loop, and you'd be using the iMod DAC.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #1,204 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoiseGUI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~20 hrs

one included, your choice of 1, 3, or 6' length.

wha? Seems the odd way to go about it. If your iMod is synced to that computer, just use the computer's library to play the files be they lossless or whatever. You could play off the iMod via itunes (acting as external storage device, not using iMod DAC), but there is no added benefit. For portable, the pico DAC is out of the loop, and you'd be using the iMod DAC.

thanks for the info! but yeah, i was just wondering whether the sq will be better off if my imod is used by itself or through a computer to the dac, since that will bypass the imod dac which either means a cleaner signal or a more distorted one going through the computer...

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #1,205 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the info! but yeah, i was just wondering whether the sq will be better off if my imod is used by itself or through a computer to the dac, since that will bypass the imod dac which either means a cleaner signal or a more distorted one going through the computer...

From what I read, the Pico's DAC is of a higher quality than the iMod's DAC. When you plug the Pico into your computer, it will bypass the computers DAC/AMP and your computer will send the file to the Pico's DAC/Amp. I don't believe Digital files distort like analog.

Whether you tell your computer to use your computer's library or the files on your iMod I would not expect it to make a difference (Just reading the digital file from alternate locations) as the iMod is only a storage device in this scenario. iMod DAC is not in the loop.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #1,207 of 3,724
My understanding is that jitter only affects digital data rate transfer and does not introduce distortion (in the sense of the original question). I thought the entire, original file still gets through, just slower, and USB 2.0 has plenty of headroom to account for playing lossless audio files. (20mb vs. 1.6mb)

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #1,209 of 3,724
Quote:

the iMod is only a storage device in this scenario. iMod DAC is not in the loop.

yeah i figured that was the case and just wanted to confirm this. so then the sq would sound better if i went through that route instead of directly from the imod.

anyone know if the pico's battery can be charged while plugged through usb to the computer?

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #1,211 of 3,724
what's the current wait time for the pico? i see that the list on justin's website is at the 300 mark, but the shipped amps is still at the 150 mark.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #1,212 of 3,724
Quote:

Seems to actually only progress 25 per week, so given it should be 175 by last Saturday, I'd say you got 5 weeks. Unless of course, something comes up in the FS forum, or Justin gets a clone.

I am #175. Yet to receive notice though...

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #1,214 of 3,724
Justin,

I would like to place an order for your new Pico with USB DAC option. I don't know exactly what color options are available but for now I would like to say black color would work for me. When I get closer in the order line, I may be more specific about details. 6 feet USB cord would be my preference. Thank you very much and let me know how to proceed with my order. I wonder what is the approximate waiting time for realizing this order? Thank you!

Greetings from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Mark

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #1,215 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am #175. Yet to receive notice though...

#161 here and neither I. Hoping it just shows up any day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back