HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures)
Dec 27, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #122 of 151
There has been a flood of information and impressions on the DAC portion so even though people are just starting to receive them I was just looking for more on the amp section.

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #124 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the vast majority got the combination; very few ordered amp only.

There are still two parts of the product. I got the combo too but I'll be using it as a stand alone amp at work with my iPod/UE-11 and a amp/DAC at home with my PC and PS-1. I guess the impressions will start to trickle through once owners can pull themselves away from the DAC portion... sounds like that might be hard though!
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #125 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading in one of the threads where they said the amp side would be more or less similar to the AE2 .But then if I right the AE2 was no a worldbeating portable.

If the requirment is just for a world class portable amp (a dac would be welcome)would the pico still be the top choice?

Having heard it yet again last night for an extended amount time I think the AE2 is definitely a top tier portable headphone amp. The potentiometer is probably the finest or at least one of the finest available in a portable amp (The action is perfect) though that may be one of the benefits of its larger size. As far as sound goes it sounds surprisingly close to the fully discrete/home amp the GS-1... my only complaint is that it might not have as much bass/punch as some of the more popular offerings, but its overwhelming lead in resolution/soundstage/details/clarity over the same offerings I think keeps it in the running for tops in the portable amp market. And even if the bass quantity isn't as high it is more focused and less diffused than some of the more bassy offerings.

Personally its more important for me to recognize each bass note for what it is than get a sort of diffused one note bass thump. But to each their own.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #126 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be delighted to post more in-depth, but alas, I am at work with only one pair of headphones (Denon) at my disposal. I will add others when I get home tonight.

You didn't take the day off from work? Dude...get your priorities straight!
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #128 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading in one of the threads where they said the amp side would be more or less similar to the AE2 .But then if I right the AE2 was no a worldbeating portable.

If the requirment is just for a world class portable amp (a dac would be welcome)would the pico still be the top choice?

I have read that it is an improvement over the AE2 and that it was optimized for the opamps being used and it was/is a step up. Time will tell, as usual. It would be nice to read further impressions and comparisons but there have been some pretty strong statements relating to good sound quality.

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #130 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! The Pico finally arrived today, and the shootout will begin shortly
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to your impressions, synergy with the UE-11 and of course comparo to the Predator with the UE-11
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #131 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With dual mini-trs outs ?! Don't think so. Mini-trs is also known as 1/8 inch headphone jack.

Yes, because a true balanced amp and DAC only involves adding the output jacks.

-Ed

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #132 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, because a true balanced amp and DAC only involves adding the output jacks.

-Ed

Well I don't know specifically for the DAC chip used in Pico, but many chips have + - outs for each channel. Adding an op amp with 3 resistors for each channel would, while changing the size of the amp, not change it ALOT. The output jacks will remain most of the bulks, but that is still at most 50% the original size, not 200% =].

Thats still toying though...not really good way to go heh.

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #133 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even know it was an option and I don't think many other people do/did either, I've ever only seen Black, Clear and Gunmetal listed as initial options with other colors possibly coming later. I might have actually considered it because I'm not sure if I'll like the black with clear/silver volume knob on the Pico as much as I did on my AE-2.

I've posted a pic of my pico which uses that color combo in the headamp pre-order thread if you wanted to change your color preference.

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #134 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've posted a pic of my pico which uses that color combo in the headamp pre-order thread if you wanted to change your color preference.

Where in the many pages is it? Thanks.

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #135 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well how do you get good sounding mini speakers? Never heard any.

I got my daughter some Anthony Gallo Accoustics A'Diva TI for Christmas to go along with her Shanling MC30. They are tiny, maybe 4 or 5 inches, and sound very good. Of course, the TR-1 subwoofer makes them sound much better, but they're pretty good even without it... when I was first soundchecking it, I forgot to turn on the sub and was still very impressed with the sound. For their tiny size they are LOUD, especially given the measly 3w per channel of the Shanling. If I turn it up to 60% the neighbors start knocking on the door. It's funny, as the main reason I got her something so underpowered is so that the neighbors don't get pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back