HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures)
Dec 27, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #91 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that what ed said? sounds as though ed thinks a top of the line DAC w/balanced outputs would be a good idea...

i'd actually prefer separate components over a dac/amp combo for home use...i think people would much prefer to match amps and DACs than have an integrated one for the home since there are so many more kinds of headphones and amps available for home use...

Oops, you are correct. I misread Ed's comments. Actually, they were quoted in fierce_freak's message. Sorry.

Still, I don't think that Justin wants to get into the DAC market. There is lots of competition and probably lower margins. Being a one man company, he needs to find a niche market. He has that in headphone amps. Again, I'm just stating what I think here. Justin certainly has his own ideas and has not discussed them with me.

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #92 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good questions. Basically what I am doing is comparing the Pico as DAC and amp, my Wavelength DAC through the pico amp and my wavelength dac through my SS-1 XLR (The last comparison was just for fun and I haven't really posted any results)...

...Of course for me to really do a solid test I would have to test the two sources with a different amp to verify things... But I am personally certain enough what the outcome will be that I can say with enough confidence that if a properly priced DAC only version of the Pico comes out with a line out and /or maybe RCA outs i will most likely invest in at least one.

Thanks for the impressions.

If you have a mini to RCA cable however, the second part of the test should be easy enough to perform without a dedicated line out. Through the headphone out of the Pico (I would imagine in low gain with volume set to match the sensitivity of your amp), it should be possible to guage the performance of the "variable output" or "pre out" capabilities of the dac by running the RCAs to a dedicated amp.

This is according to Justin himself, mind you.

Anyone care to give it a shot?

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #93 of 151
I took the pico as an input to my balanced m3, and compared it against the apogee. They're comparable. I prefer the apogee, but not by so much that I'm not tempted to sell out and just stick wtih a pico instead of a $4500 rig...

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #94 of 151
Ah! Too much speculation here. Let's just continue to marvel at the wonder that is the pico. Can you tell I'm liking my newest head-fi purchase?

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #95 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took the pico as an input to my balanced m3, and compared it against the apogee. They're comparable. I prefer the apogee, but not by so much that I'm not tempted to sell out and just stick wtih a pico instead of a $4500 rig...

And just wait until it is burned in! :^)

The day is coming for the mini system that will finally really sound great. Class D amps, mini preamp/dac with. . . well how do you get good sounding mini speakers? Never heard any. Seems like you really have to move the air. Ok, mini dac/pre from a hard drive to a mini amps to whatever you want for speakers.

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #96 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any impressions on the amp section alone from anyone yet?

Just opened the box, plugged it in and will never use any of my portable amps again. The Xenos 1HA-EPC, which I love, sounds vastly inferior across the board. Let me give it a couple of hours to settle and I will post more. By the way, only 2 people ordered the Pico in bronze: the color is absolutely stunning!

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #97 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just wait until it is burned in! :^)

There's no stupidly large capacitor on the pico, I don't think burn-in will be as big a deal.

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #98 of 151
Quote:

There's no stupidly large capacitor on the pico, I don't think burn-in will be as big a deal.

It seems that you hate those portable amp with huge capacitor, please enlighten me about your position on this coz its very interesting to know.

Thanks

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #103 of 151
Quote:

it just takes longer for huge capacitors to burn in, and with current battery technology, they're not needed.

Ok I've got your point, I also feel that burning period is irritating and time consuming/wasting.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #105 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by OptionTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, all those large capacitors are not needed in most amplifier designs?

Depends on the design I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back