HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Sep 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #916 of 1,464
I have the Fostex TH600. I used them at work for a bit with my Pan Am. First, they leak sound A LOT. This is not an office appropriate set of cans if you are working near other people. You will also have sound leaking into the headphones if you are in a noisy environment. This describes how I make my living so immediately these headphones are eliminated from me being a potential owner. 
frown.gif
 The T50RP is definitely better if this is an important factor. 

I am listening right now on my Oppo BDP-105 with the latest beta firmware, BDP10X-60-0808B. These are a surprisingly good match for the Oppo! Bass is HUGE with big impact. There is a ton of detail and very clear and articulate separation between all instrumentation. The sound stage is pretty good, but not quite as good as the HD800 I auditioned several weeks ago. The Oppo is driving the TH600 better than it did the HD800, but at the time I had the HD800 the headphone amp on the Oppo was not putting out as much power as it is now. They did something with firmware to increase the potency of the headphone amp. 

I will get a good comparison between the TH600 and the T50RP tomorrow. Sources will be Oppo BDP-105 headphone amp, and ALO Pan Am with and without the Oppo BDP-105 as a DAC. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #917 of 1,464
The HD700 sounds pretty mediocre out of a Sansa Clip (not like I expected any different). You can tell there's a lot of unused potential being wasted.

However, I just remembered that my DAC doubles as a headphone amplifier. So, I plugged in the HD700 to my DAC, and it sounds pretty wonderful, especially for a $50 DAC (I'm almost as impressed with the DAC as I am with the HD700, honestly).

What kind of DAC is it??

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #920 of 1,464
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #921 of 1,464
:D I am waiting for Justin's confirmation email too.....I am next in line for HD700 :D
Cheers

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #922 of 1,464
Package should be shipped out today. Sorry about the delay; I tried to get it out yesterday, but I had three separate things to ship on top of it, and just ran out of time printing labels.
frown.gif

As for the HD700, it was very enjoyable for a dynamic headphone straight out of a $50 DAC/amp. I've heard it at meets several times before, and though it doesn't stack up too well to my Stax rig, it's extremely comfortable, attractive, and really great sounding. If anyone wants detailed impressions, I can give them as well.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #923 of 1,464
Package should be shipped out today. Sorry about the delay; I tried to get it out yesterday, but I had three separate things to ship on top of it, and just ran out of time printing labels.
frown.gif

As for the HD700, it was very enjoyable for a dynamic headphone straight out of a $50 DAC/amp. I've heard it at meets several times before, and though it doesn't stack up too well to my Stax rig, it's extremely comfortable, attractive, and really great sounding. If anyone wants detailed impressions, I can give them as well.

Would be very interesting to read what you heard

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #924 of 1,464
On a side note, anyone who is interested in these demos should be aware of the shipping costs of participating in the demo.

It cost me $35 to ship these insured to the next person; in fact, insurance was so expensive, that the insurance subsidy on Priority Mail Express made it cheaper to ship Express than regular Priority Mail. I already knew the cost would be pricey going into this, because I am very experienced with the postal system, but everyone else should expect this coming as well, in case someone wasn't expecting it.
redface.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #926 of 1,464
I for one am more than happy to pay the $35-$40 it can cost to take part in this awesome program! It sounds like a steal to me. :wink: Thanks again Justin

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #927 of 1,464
I messed up when making the label (who would have figured that the box weighs nearly seven pounds... not even my T1 weighs that much), so I have to make another label and try again tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #928 of 1,464
Okay, sorry for all the ridiculous delays, but I found a FedEx that is right on my way to work tomorrow, and I should have the headphones out by then.

Man, I feel so bad about all this nonsense. I can't even follow my own rules, apparently. The HD700's have just been sitting taped up in their big shipping box over the weekend, so I haven't even been able to use them. What a total waste of everyone's time. I'm really sorry guys.
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #929 of 1,464
On a side note, anyone who is interested in these demos should be aware of the shipping costs of participating in the demo.
It cost me $35 to ship these insured to the next person; in fact, insurance was so expensive, that the insurance subsidy on Priority Mail Express made it cheaper to ship Express than regular Priority Mail. I already knew the cost would be pricey going into this, because I am very experienced with the postal system, but everyone else should expect this coming as well, in case someone wasn't expecting it.
redface.gif

FedEx Ground w/ full insurance on its previous MSRP (which was $1300) was ~$23, as I previously reported. It'd be slightly lower now with the reduced MSRP to $1000. So you could have saved about $12, maybe even more than that.
wink.gif
(Notwithstanding variances for different shipping zones, shipping to a business vs residence, etc.)

Edit: oops I thought you were talking about the Fostex TH600, didn't see at first that you were talking about the Senn HD700. FedEx rates obviously adjust for weight & box dimensions as well, and I guess that the HD700 box is larger/heavier than the TH600's was.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #930 of 1,464
I only paid $25 to ship the HD700s, but FedEx is very in-consistent with their pricing. Just a few months ago I had to ship something that I was told would cost me $260 on their website. I get in there and they want $310, I come back the next day $290, and I sit around for 10 minutes and then it costs $280.

That's just how it is, nothing to feel guilty over TC. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back